Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of multi colored deep well pump wire, left over from my last deep well pump. It is # 10 or 12 wire I am using this for all feeders front and back. Then ill make junction boxes to tap off the smaller light wires. similar to house wiring, Only because I have the stuff....

I am out of electrical connectors and don’t have the holders for the fuses. And I cant get them now as cash is tight. So I dug up an old Mercedes 4 core Radiator I used on a HP289 to keep it cool.It just barley fits between the hood rails and I had to set it forward some. The outlets are on the right sides. I had to cut some of the Mustang uni body lips to squeeze this Radiator where it is now. What I have is what I get radiators are not cheap and the 2 other radiators are to large width wise. So that's what I fooled around with. maybe I can scrounge up some steel to make some brackets for the radiator. I have a few snaps..

Attachments

• HPIM5876.jpg
    HPIM5876.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM5877.jpg
    HPIM5877.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 37
  • HPIM5878.jpg
    HPIM5878.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 37
  • HPIM5879.jpg
    HPIM5879.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM5875.jpg
    HPIM5875.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 35
Not much done today I fabricated some radiator brackets and painted the inside body area where the radiator will go. Plus I painted the radiator. I will get it bolted in tomorrow when all dries.

Attachments

• HPIM5880.jpg
    HPIM5880.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM5881.jpg
    HPIM5881.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM5882.jpg
    HPIM5882.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM5883.jpg
    HPIM5883.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 13
I bolted in the radiator and started to add sheet metal forward of the radiator. I have to raise the radiator shell to the height of the static radiator so i have a ending point for the hood. And I also must be able to reach the radiator cap for service. I did some bracing and welding here and there. None are welded to the frame rails. This way I can remove the radiator grill shell by removing 6 bolts and have the engine bay exposed. The whole frontal piece will be removable in one piece. I have some snaps..

Attachments

• HPIM5885.jpg
    HPIM5885.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM5888.jpg
    HPIM5888.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM5887.jpg
    HPIM5887.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM5886.jpg
    HPIM5886.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 25
Did more today finishing up the add on sheet metal to the radiator shell to accept a hood piece. I also looked up an electric fan and it tested ok ill use it after I cut it down to fit my radiator. I have a photo of my 4 inch grinder and some pieces I machined out so I can buy which ever brands of 4 inch grinding disc is on sale. I have a Makihta and an adaptor to accept the larger hole type from Dewalt and some others. I always buy the cheaper ones when i buy. This way i can save, no sense in getting screwed because of a different arbor size. This fan is on the engine side as it sucks. My last hot rod was on the outside blowing either will work. Anyway I saved on the fan because I didn't have to buy it. I painted it and will install when dry. That was my day, i have some snaps..

Attachments

• HPIM5898.jpg
    HPIM5898.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5897.jpg
    HPIM5897.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5896.jpg
    HPIM5896.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5895.jpg
    HPIM5895.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5893.jpg
    HPIM5893.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM5892.jpg
    HPIM5892.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5891.jpg
    HPIM5891.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM5890.jpg
    HPIM5890.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM5894.jpg
    HPIM5894.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 17
I scrounged up a wind shield wiper motor. This is a one speed from the rear of the Merkur. I will try to make this one work. I tested it it's one speed 3 wires ground hot, and park. This motor is small enough and has a swath large enough to get 85% of the wind shield. I tried a mount with in the dash area ill see if I can get it to work for me . I will have to cut the wiper blade arm and bend it some to get what i want. Its hard to get the shaft to clear the cowl the way this wiper motor was made but I will use it anyway.

Attachments

• HPIM5899.jpg
    HPIM5899.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM5900.jpg
    HPIM5900.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5901.jpg
    HPIM5901.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 14
I had to reverse the plate that was attached to the motor. I needed it to be on the inside towards the driver and not facing the engine. If all looks good tomorrow I weld in more brackets to make it tight and Ill go from there.

I ended up making a pocket in the cowl metal for the wiper motor shaft. Only way I could get the clearance Ill weld a bottom on it with a plastic drain hose going through the floor area. I also fit the cowl but will not attach yet as I may need to get in there more later on. I have good news my seats arrived and look good. The bad news is they don’t fit . One fits but 2 will not. I have to do some major surgery cutting out the seat belt brackets and relocating them. Also cutting out some bars that formed the curve around the cab back and rear edges of the doors.. It is always something I got ahead of my self here I should have waited for the seats to arrive and then fit them. No big deal I need to get more saws all blades and then Ill whack the hell out of the insides. So that’s what i worked on most of the day as I didn’t report to the shop until late morning it rained like hell for a while we need the rain. I have photos of the wiper arm all bent and formed to accommodate my wind shield. The motor is in the right spot and I welded in more braces today. The wiper motor is a done deal, now I will work on the seats and the fit.

Attachments

• HPIM5906.jpg
    HPIM5906.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5907.jpg
    HPIM5907.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM5905.jpg
    HPIM5905.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM5903.jpg
    HPIM5903.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM5902.jpg
    HPIM5902.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
One photo shows a metal box I fabricated I may use this for a 3rd brake light under the rear window like i did for my last Hot Rod. I used body filler all the way around it giving the impression it was frencehd in. i put in a few single filament bulbs and hook to the brake light switch. The last box i made i used clear plexiglass for the lens and painted the inside of the box fire engine red I may cut some red bezels from other tail light lenses. What ever works

All day cutting, prying. bending, grinding, relocating, phew glad its all done and changed. The seats fit now but with no wiggle room what so ever. I had to take off the sliders from the seats they made them to high. There is no room to slide the seats they are all the way back as far as they can go. The passengers seat will have more leg room than the driver because of the steering wheel and pedals etc. I had to change the seat belt brackets and cut away 8 inches rearward of some tubing starting at the doors and going back a ways. Then I had to change the position of the middle seat belt brackets and catches for both seat belts. No room to spare the seats will fit now and I will keep them in a box until I finish all the other grinding , cutting, painting etc inside the seating areas. had to even modify the shifter with a bend to the right and then a bend back up vertical. The shifter interfered with the corner of the drivers seat when in 1st gear and reverse. The bends made it better to shift now. I will still have to drill holes in the floor to mount the seats when i am ready, that will be one of the last things I do. I still have tons of work to do in the dash area and seating areas.

Attachments

• HPIM5910.jpg
    HPIM5910.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM5911.jpg
    HPIM5911.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM5912.jpg
    HPIM5912.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5913.jpg
    HPIM5913.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks these seats are from Mn Great Northern Tools. They are for industrial vehicles like forlifts, skidders, tractors etc. They were the right size and colors and are comfy

I scrounged up some #12 wire I had ill use 2 and use them for my #10 feed wires. They are rated at 600 volts AC @ 20 amps. Should handle 14 volts and amps okay/

Attachments

• HPIM5916.jpg
    HPIM5916.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5917.jpg
    HPIM5917.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 18
I done just little things today that had to be done before other stuff can be started. I finished adding bore braces to the wiper motor mounts 2 more plus a brace. I am now set to put on my cowl I still have ample room underneath the dash to work so I think i am okay here. I tested the wiper motor again to make sure it still works and it does. With that pocket arrangement it will be a tough job replacing the wiper motor without a hassle.

Correction on one of my post the place i bought my seats from. the co. was Northern Tools in Mn and not Great Northern tools. Sorry i must like the word great.

[P[P[P

I can't wait till you break out the "mud" and start sculpting on this thing! :cool::cool:

Hmm Im not a great body man, i do just enough Body filler to get a basic shape. My brother always says take more time but i don't have the patience for that. When I get close, look out im headed for the finish line.

Latest posts

Back