Sealant for Freeze Plugs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
What is the best sealant to use on freeze plugs? I remeber my dad used to use this liquid stuff in a can you brushed on or the dark Permatex gasket adhesive. I don't remember the name of that stuff. Will any RTV silicone sealer work?

What Gastrick suggests is what I've used , the best stuff to use ,if you can find it is gasket Shellac,,it came in a little brown bottle with a dubber built into the cap , my Dad swore by it. The stuff will seal anything,,forever..! very hard to get off when you take stuff apart...LOL

My dad used "Indian Head" sealer. It was in the little brown bottle with white lettering and the dauber brush attached to the cap. Worked great but it STUCK. Made a big mess if you ever tried to get it apart...

This is what I used. Sticky and messy as hell and says it will be permanent. I don't think I ever saw the picture because I probably never saw a new one. The bottle was always covered in the stuff. But I remember the way it looked and smelled.

003-19.jpg

Last edited:
Thats also what I use.Try not to get it all over your hands and anywhere else you dont want it.Its hell to get off.Very sticky stuff.But its the best for that type of install.

I use the same stuff, different looking bottle, same brand. Only advise I would add would be...if you think your going to get it all over your hands,...go for a pee first!:eek:

I'm oldfashioned when it comes to sealants. I know everybody touts the new RTV's and silicones, but I still like good old Permatex number 2. I've had the newer stuff fail and never had a problem with Permatex. And the worst of all in my opinion is that blue stuff they sell nowadays. :p:p Oh, one exception is Hylomar sealant, we use it in the marine industry, and it is good too.

Don

back befor perma torq headgaskets i used to use gasket tach by permatex its avail. in a small can and the cap has a brush attached to the inside, i used to coat all my water ports on the ol steel headgaskets and also "paint" it around the sides of the freeze plugs befor installing them. its a dark brown color also. dp1

Latest posts

Back