Shallow Radio, DVD, Back-up view screen

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'd like to install a AV unit with Radio, DVD, Back-up view screen system in my project, but there is only about 3 inches from front of the dash to the AC unit.
I hope to mount the vintage speaker grill on slides so it can be slid down to view the screen.
1) Does anyone know of AV systems that are on a modern cars that are shallow front to back?
2) Has anyone used a headrest unit in the dash, since they are a vertical shape they may fit?
Thanks

I'd like to install a AV unit with Radio, DVD, Back-up view screen system in my project, but there is only about 3 inches from front of the dash to the AC unit.
I hope to mount the vintage speaker grill on slides so it can be slid down to view the screen.
1) Does anyone know of AV systems that are on a modern cars that are shallow front to back?
2) Has anyone used a headrest unit in the dash, since they are a vertical shape they may fit?
Thanks

Dont have any valuable info for you on this particular topic, but noticed were neighbors :D

You might have a problem finding a really shallow unit, especially wanting the touchscreen, DVD, GPS, etc.

You could most definately get something from secret audio, which would have a tiny remote operating controller and you hide the main unit under the seat or in the trunk.

You could try searching on some different audio discussion forums, I'm sure "if it's out there" those guys will know about it.:D

You could check out:

www.crutchfield.com

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help.:eek:

Regards,
Shea:)

You could get one like I have in my Dodge, it has an available 2nd head (just a screen basically) that can control the whole unit. The main unit is big and bulky so you would need somewhere to mount it but that might work for you. It is made by Advant which makes factory systems, but it's about 4 years old at least.
I'm sure there are others out there or you could do what some others are and mount a tablet in the dash. Kicker makes an Ipod integration kit that you plug into the ipod/ipad and has 2 speaker outputs and RCA outputs to install an amp. It's designed for Golf carts, lawn mowers, ATVs etc but would work in a car/truck just as well.
Another option would be to remote mount the head unit and buy an aftermarket screen, mount it to the dash and just be able to view on it.

Thanks for the feedback.
That type of system would probably work well. A system that allows the main unit to be controlled from the remote screen.
A back-up camera on this big Buick Roadmaster with limited rear vision was what got me started down this path.
A DVD player/changer under the seat would be perfect. Could put more than one movie in for cross country trips.
A remote screen would then be mounted in the dash hidden & by the speaker grill when not used.
Would also like the same control for ipod in the glovebox from the remote screen.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back