Smoked Meat....Canadian style

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

A couple days ago a client gave me some home made barbecue sauce as a tip. Then yesterday, in my quest for giant freezies, I found a few big racks of ribs, some briskets and other deliciousness. So today I went out and bought a smoker. I wanted ribs damnit.

Normally I've used charcoal or wood smokers, and still like them best, but was looking for something that I could essentially set and forget. Or at the very least, not have to pay *as much* attention to. Enter my new electric smoker! Insulated, with digital thermostat and temperature control this thing is perfect for smoking while it's colder out.

Initially I was going to put it in the front garage, near the overhead so I could crack the overhead and then go from there, but I was worried about the build up of smoke in the garage and the problems from it. So it's currently outside, between the house and the back garage, kind of sheltered from the wind. I shoveled off the spot where it sits and the chord is plugged into an extension chord up out of the snow.

To season the smoker at first I just gave it a test run, 1/4 cup of dry wood chips, set on the temperature and the time and go. It's -7*C/19*F here right now and this thing maintained a steady temp between 230-235*F for the two hours. I'm STOKED. Tomorrow...ribs. [dr

I'll put up pictures when I actually smoke the ribs tomorrow...just about to get the rub ready and then have them sit in the fridge over night and get delicious!

You have SNOW?????:eek:
the smoker sounds great....so great in fact I am heading for the fridge cause now I'm hungry!:D

Love smokin'!!!! Mmmmmmmm.......[dr

This year I had a major success trying something different. I'll do boneless ribs a lot of the time and just put them in a big tinfoil pan on the grill with molassas, beer, etc., and smoke 'em for several hours that way. This year I put the mornings bacon grease in with boneless beef ribs - EXCELLENT!!! It's kinda like deep fried BBQ beef.

I use apple and mulberry instead of charcoal in a upright smoker. No water pan. The apple and mulberry are what I have a lot of, but any fruit wood is good for smoking. If you use beer, use domestic, or maybe ale, the dark beers don't give good flavor IMO. And only use 1/2 a beer at a time, it's required you drink the other 1/2. If you forget to watch it, or it gets too hot, and dries up or burns a bit, just soften it up with another 1/2 beer. Then add a little BBQ after to cover up the burnt.

Killer! I bet I could make a molases/beer mop or something along those lines as well. I love using apple or cherry to smoke, but have been a big fan of the jack daniels white oak chips lately as well. I'm excited about this thermostat controlled temperature of the electric smoker, should make things a bit less of a hassle. During the summer I love using the big barrel wood smokers, but I also have a day to just sit out with friends and enjoy a few beverages while keeping an eye on it. Winter, hell no...it's too cold to be outside any longer than I have to haha

Yeah, I can see how the electric would be good for ya. I've done BBQ below freezing and it seems like the fire is either way hot or cold.

My problem is I'll throw stuff on and forget to check often enough cause I'm in the garage working.

dressed up and ready for their date tomorrow....after a beauty rest in the fridge over night:
506_541767319182783_1809943751_n_zpsa45145b2.jpg

yeah, I just spent over an hour and half removing said "dusting" from the front driveway and the sidewalk. Lame. But! meat's going on the smoker in about 20 minutes here...for at least 6 hours. yuuuummmm

Thats enough of a "dusting" that we would shut the schools down for 3 days here..We don't know how to drive in the stuff:D:D

between the back of the house and the back garage...you can see a bit of the Comet haha
IMG_4057_zps72a83e9a.jpg

45 minutes in...time for first mop. I'll be doing these at 230* for 3 hours like such, then 230* for 2 hours wrapped in foil pockets (with some mop in there for extra moisture) and then 230* for an hour or so with the pockets open but some more basting. Total of 6 hours of smoke...Should work out alright!
IMG_4056_zps32b8aba4.jpg

Hey, now that looks good! I've been worried about you eating all those "chicken fingers" you know...I mean, really, if you eat their fingers, how are they going to pick their noses???

Latest posts

Back