Some day....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbigpicture

Please stand by.......
398831414_7266965996656610_5874856137319857163_n.jpg

Back in the mid 60s, my dad's buddy dirt tracked 33 & 34 Ford Coupes with the flathead V8s. He had a real job to pay the bills but then he scrapped cars to support his racing habit. In the process of scrapping cars, when ever he came across a 33 or 34 Ford coupe sitting behind a barn or something, he offered to buy it. Every time he bought one, he promised the owner he was going to race it, and he would never sell it to any one else.

Around 1966 or 1867, all the local tracks quit racing the old coupes at the same time, and he had 3 complete cars just sitting there. His 20 yo son wanted to sell those 3 cars in the worst way, but the Dad's buddy crushed all 3 with his D-9 cat. Told his son that a promise is a promise and he was going to stand by his word.

I have no idea how long those coupes had been waiting their turn on the dirt track, but I suspect Dad's buddy probably bought them for $15 or $20 each. He had them sitting up high on top of box truck boxes. I also have no idea what condition they were in at the time. Judging by his son's response, I suspect he could have sold them, even back then, for $400-$500 each.

Imagine seeing a trailer with (4) 33 & 34 Ford coupes (the old race car and the 3 waiting) crushed flat coming into the metal recycle center. Dad says he watched them run the cars through the metal shredder. I suspect dad went with him on that scrap run, they may have anticipated trouble.

Latest posts

Back