speedway weld on rear disc brake kit

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
This is brake kit #31933........first I want to rant that no installation instructions are included. This kit has GM metric rear disc brke calipers that are supposed to be 78 and later [unknown what model cars the fit cuz speedway don't tell ] I assembled the rotors and the mount bracket on the caliper and began to fit them to my rear trying to determine the location of the bracket to weld it the rear. I pulled the emergency brake lever to the full on position but the brake pads don't contact the rotors. As if the rotors are too thin. The e-brake lever is mechanical so no fluid in the caliper should make no difference. In the picture you can see the the e-brake lever is keyed to its shaft so I moved it one flat, still won't hit the rotors.
My question is if I continue to rotate the lever another flat so it will push the piston out further will I eventually go too far and have a fluid leak around the piston. You can see far out the piston is comming in the picture I think. [speedway tech is closed on weekends of course]

Attachments

• a bucket 090 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 090 (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 57
  • a bucket 092 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 092 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 45
  • a bucket 093 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 093 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 46
  • a bucket 097 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 097 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 43
  • a bucket 098 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 098 (Small).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 49
  • a bucket 099 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 099 (Small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 49
I do believe that when they are adjusted, you would have the ebrake functional, but perhaps they gave you either the wrong pads or wrong rotors as well.

You will have run that caliper out pertty far to make it fail. I would keep adjusting based on what I can see.

trying to remember here, I don't see a spacer on the piston,there should be one if that is an .810 rotor.

Tip- put everything togather and clamp the caliper with an air hose and keep it clamped while welding.

Thanks for the link RPM...my kit didn't have any spacers, but I adjusted the e-brake lever 3 flats and it now pushes the piston out far enough for the pads to hit the rotor. I can't mount the caliper behind the axle cuz it hits the coilovers. I will mount the caliper in front but the e-brake cable will have to wrap around the housing and over top. Do you know what year and model gm car these calipers are supposed to fit so I can order cables and hoses from the local parts store? ya know their compurter has to know or they just look at me like I'm stupid!!..:D

Attachments

• a bucket 101 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 101 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 16
  • a bucket 102 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 102 (Small).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
  • a bucket 103 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 103 (Small).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
I am pretty sure those are the GM Metric calipers. So a late 80s Firebird would be a car to have the guys at the auto parts store use for look up.

I think almost all of the metric gms used the same calipers.... I think

You know how it is at the local auto parts store, "What year, make, model and size engine " before they can look for anything. Chance are the hose will be metric so I'll end up with early Camaro front hose to get the 3/8 24 thread....:rolleyes:

You know how it is at the local auto parts store, "What year, make, model and size engine " before they can look for anything. Chance are the hose will be metric so I'll end up with early Camaro front hose to get the 3/8 24 thread....:rolleyes:
Fuzz, the info on the Speedway site says, the calipers use the 7/16"- 20 banjo fittings

Latest posts

Back