step bar side pipes????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

I have had this crazy thought about making side pipes for my daily truck that also function as step bars. I was thinking about using 2.5" tubing and making brackets to bolt it to the frame. With rubber spacers of course. Any ideas on how this could work?? See any problems?

I am trying to figure out the same idea for my dually with a lake pipe style with drop down step loops. Incorporated in one but I'm looking for like 4 inch pipe :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 54
I have had this crazy thought about making side pipes for my daily truck that also function as step bars. I was thinking about using 2.5" tubing and making brackets to bolt it to the frame. With rubber spacers of course. Any ideas on how this could work?? See any problems?

see the word crazy in the above sentence, that should be all the answer you need.

see any problems??????? yes, a long line of lawyers lined up outside your house with lawsuits in their hands just waiting to sue your ass when some unknowing fool loses a sh!t load of burnt skin on you home built leg friers.

Yeah, I think I would steer away from this idea. The only way that you could get it to maybe work is by using a rigs heat shield but even then, that part isn't very thick so stepping on it would prolly bend it the very first time and then you got no shielding anymore.

I never thought of using a pipe in a pipe. Not a bad idea. How hot do those pipes get?? I didn't think they would get hot enough to melt shoes. And as far as leg burners, any side pipe brings that possibility to the table. Maybe I will just go with plain side pipes, but I always liked the idea of auto de-icing step bars![ddd

I have a scar on my leg thanks to my buddy's rig, circa 1983...

attachment.php

If I recall, they're 2'' inside 3.5" maybe 4''. Header wrap on the inside tube may have saved my flesh. :eek:

Attachments

• My bud rollie scan0021.jpg
    My bud rollie scan0021.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 102
Me and my bro had drove about 5 miles in a 74 Chevy truck with stock exhaust. Blew the muffler off. Bro went back and grabbed it bare handed and immediately threw it. Just about left skin on the metal. Yeah, it can get real hot. If I recall right, there were a couple burnouts in that 5 miles also :cool: (Dad always wondered why that truck ate tires so bad. :eek:)

Anyhow, there can be a lot of heat. But then look at all the traditionals, rats, and cycles with pipes exposed. Just have to think it through right and I'm sure it can be done.

I guess it falls under once they burn themselves on my pipes they won't do it again:D. Guess now I will have to put a disclaimer on the dash and make them sign a waiver before they get in so I don't get sued :rolleyes:

I never thought of using a pipe in a pipe. Not a bad idea. How hot do those pipes get?? I didn't think they would get hot enough to melt shoes. And as far as leg burners, any side pipe brings that possibility to the table. Maybe I will just go with plain side pipes, but I always liked the idea of auto de-icing step bars![ddd

There is a reason that Jet-Hot's base coating can withstand temps up to 1300°F, and why paint usually burns off headers and manifolds. You can easily get to 300-400°F even away from the manifolds or headers, that is enough to do quite a bit of damage. I would suggest a pipe inside, header wrap, and then an airspace, and a pipe outside. You might want to consider making the outside a 1/2 or 2/3-wrap pipe instead of full-wrap.

I guess it falls under once they burn themselves on my pipes they won't do it again:D. Guess now I will have to put a disclaimer on the dash and make them sign a waiver before they get in so I don't get sued :rolleyes:

That won't help any if some kid leans over and grabs hold of the pipe....trust me, I know.:(

I wonder if I nix the step bar idea and just do normal side pipes and tuck em under a bit if that would help combat burns by making them farther under the truck. Opinions??

I like the tucked side pipes with a heat shield idea. Make it obvious that they are exhaust pipes.

Most motorcycles have exposed pipes, but everyone understands those could be hot. I don't think any parent with a functioning brain would let thier kid touch a bike exhaust.

The problem with the side pipes disguised as steps is that it will catch someone by surprise and then you might be in trouble.

One of the things I worried about when I was building my rpu with the open engine was that some little kid didn't walk up and touch the hot pipes. Lots of people just don't watch their little tykes like they should and I'd feel terrible if one got burned. I usually park out of the way or wait a minute for things to cool off. I also like giving kids rides, I sure wouldn't want one getting a fried leg just getting out of the car just for some aesthetics.

Latest posts

Back