Straight Front Axle Flip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77flh

Did a flip on my straight axle with parallel leafs. Have had some local guys ask how it went and thought it may be of interest to some here also.

Axle is from a '61 Dodge panel wagon, should be same as a D100 of that era. Made cardboard patterns of the factory pad and had my amazing local machine shop, Quality Machine, cut them out of 1/2" plate on their CNC plasma cutting table.

Used allthread and jam nuts to get the new pads parallel to the factory ones.

Forged axle welded up nicely. Did a little on each side and took my time to try and keep it from pulling/warping.

Got new ubolts and cut off the stock pads. Still have to use a tapered reamer to invert the tie rod to the top of the steering arms since it is crazy close to the leafs. But other than that it was pretty simple.

Attachments

• 100_0728.JPG
    100_0728.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0729.JPG
    100_0729.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_0732.JPG
    100_0732.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_0733.JPG
    100_0733.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 94
You welded on a cast steel front axle?? Not sure if I would have done that. You may have problems when you get to drive it.

I think I would check it after your first test run.

Just my 2 cents.

MikeC

I've narrowed and flipped several axles. No problemo.

Looks good 77flh.

Not to be argumentative dmw56, but up in my neck of the woods we call that a straight axle. A dropped axle would be one that has been altered to create a deeper, non-stock drop.

You say to- may -toe

I say to- maw -toe......you's guys.....also, dumb question for either of you's....cast and forged....the easy way to distinguish the difference....???

Yeah....I've seen that one....I'm not really asking for me

just thought there would be some parting lines or something that might help someone out there be able to tell who might not be sure....I'm pretty sure you're right about the forged thing anyway.....but hey, Lord knows what they might have done years back....

A forged axle will have around a 3/8" wide "parting line". If it was cast (I've never seen one) it would probably have a very thin parting line, like you see on a motor (or is it engine???) block. po-tate-oh. po-tot-oh.

10-4 on the po tay to.....lol

A forged axle will have around a 3/8" wide "parting line". If it was cast (I've never seen one) it would probably have a very thin parting line, like you see on a motor (or is it engine???) block. po-tate-oh. po-tot-oh.

crap, now I'm hungry!!! :D

HI Everyone

Did I tell you guys I am dumb as dirt when it comes to this techi stuff????....I look at my axle on my rat rod and looks cast (52/53 Chevy truck)...I guess it is forged huh?? (I always thought a forged part would have a smoother finish)

Thanks guys for setting me straight again...

MikeC

I've got a 52 truck axle sitting around....

HI Everyone

Did I tell you guys I am dumb as dirt when it comes to this techi stuff????....I look at my axle on my rat rod and looks cast (52/53 Chevy truck)...I guess it is forged huh?? (I always thought a forged part would have a smoother finish)

Thanks guys for setting me straight again...

MikeC

I'm about as sure as I can be that it's forged......as was said...it's got that wide parting line area like BobW described.....

Forged/cast

Not sure if there were ever any cast axles. I have never seen one. This axle has the typical "smear" marks where the ingot was forged. Back then most were forged with inertia wheel presses. Big heavy stamping machines that shook the earth. There was still a forging plant not far from where I grew up and it was amazing to go by there when they were running the big presses...

On the same but different subject, I have welded on some cast steel HD frame parts (necks, swing arm crossmembers, etc) with much sucess. There is a huge difference between cast steel and cast iron. Most notably, cast iron is not very ductile and has poor welding/workability, where cast steel has good welding/workability and is more ductile.

Cast iron can be welded with high nickle content wire or rod, but it is best to get a veteran involved at least for consultation before you start.

Finally, there is a relationship with the carbon content that corelates to the welding/workablity of ferrous metals. But I am no metalurgist, the web is your friend on this subject. Check foundry sites as well as welding forums and you may be surprised at what is out there.

Ok....now you're just showing off....lol

Not sure if there were ever any cast axles. I have never seen one. This axle has the typical "smear" marks where the ingot was forged. Back then most were forged with inertia wheel presses. Big heavy stamping machines that shook the earth. There was still a forging plant not far from where I grew up and it was amazing to go by there when they were running the big presses...

On the same but different subject, I have welded on some cast steel HD frame parts (necks, swing arm crossmembers, etc) with much sucess. There is a huge difference between cast steel and cast iron. Most notably, cast iron is not very ductile and has poor welding/workability, where cast steel has good welding/workability and is more ductile.

Cast iron can be welded with high nickle content wire or rod, but it is best to get a veteran involved at least for consultation before you start.

Finally, there is a relationship with the carbon content that corelates to the welding/workablity of ferrous metals. But I am no metalurgist, the web is your friend on this subject. Check foundry sites as well as welding forums and you may be surprised at what is out there.

Seriously you've hit the nail on the head....so to speak...

going on '51 international

That looks great....Let's see what that axle is going on.

It's going in/on a '51 International cab that is sitting on a '61 Dodge panel wagon frame with a '77 Chrysler rear end and hoping the '73 455 olds motor I have is not to bad for a simple rebuild...

I think Johny Cash sang about a similar car once...

Attachments

• 100_0735.JPG
    100_0735.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
Thanks 77flh

Thanks 77flh for sharing the info and pics, this helped me out. Nice job on the top plate design, has a clean tough look as the truck.

Latest posts

Back