Stupid amp gauges....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryH

I pulled the dash in my T-Bucket to replace the amp gauge with a volt gauge. Good thing it has a wooden dash. This is one of the amp wires...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 54
It's 14 gauge. I was thinking it should have been maybe 12 gauge?

In order to size the feed wire and and amp gauge size, (amp gauges come in various amp ratings) you have to tally up all of the draw from the different sources. Headlights (highbeams on), taillights (brake applied), running lights, blower fan (on high), wipers (on high), heater blower (on high), radio (full bass), engine coolant fan, a/c clutch, engine ignition system etc. When you think about it, it's not an unlikely scenario that all of the above can be on and working at the same time. A lot of draw for a small wire to handle. There are charts for wire size and length as far as what the wire can handle safely. Most of the charts also list a lot of the items above, and a generic amp draw of each, so a total estimated amp draw can be determined.

Think of it like a pile of parts, (the items above are each, one part). You, (the feed wire) can pick up each part and put it in a box with no problem, in fact, you can pick and handle two or three items at the same time and place them in the box. But when it's time to pick the whole box with everything in there, it's to heavy, (to much draw). A bit simplistic maybe, but I'm sure you get the idea.:)

Latest posts

Back