suggestions on oil filler for a 350?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

So I have a 88 Chevy block with center bolt valve covers that have 2 holes in one and 1 hole in the other for a total of three holes.. I took a pre 85 intake 3x2 manifold and elongated the cebter bolts and it fits great.. But on the front of the intake next to the thermo housing us a big 1.25 hole for an oil filler tube.. Any suggestion..example block the intake oil tube hole and use the valve cover holes for someithing. Or use the oil filler,tube and do something with the valve cover holes?? Thanks guys

But dont I need a pcv valve in one hole.. Or can I just plug all the holes and use the lil filler with breather in the intake mani.. I dont need a high teck pcv system just something simole..it an open hood hot rod .

Last edited:
What old man dave said, then you can put a push on breather on the tube like they use to.

Attachments

• Chevy 283.jpg
    Chevy 283.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
i would use the holes in the valve covers... you can put a brass "frost/freeze plug" in the hole on the intake - ive seen it done ;)

put a pcv in one and run it to vaccuum, put a vented cap on the opposite side... plug hole 3...

i ran a 350 chevy with "script" chevy no hole valve covers...had an intake with a oil fill tube and vented cap... even drilled a hole in rear of intake and put in a pcv valve... still seemed to have pressure build up due to the fact it always leaked oil out of or around valve covers...

i know the old systems that actually used the oil fill on intakes were originally a "road draft" system (no pcv just a tube for blow by out the back)

my 2 cents:D

Times 2 with the Preacher....

that the best way to go.....filler tube used as intake for crankcase and road draft tube created the vacuum.....go with HRP's suggestion...JMHO..

Haha.. B.e.d everyone seems to think the holes are ugle..me to .I jusy wanna get the damn thing runnin..with no more expense

If you use the draft tube you will never have to worry about oiling the underside of the floor. My diesel uses this system and it smells when sitting at a red light with the AC on.

Keep the oil fill in the intake and ditch the ugly valve covers.

This in my opinion^^^^. Lots of folks will say you need a pcv but I'm not buying it. I haven't used them since I started building cars in the 70's. I've never ruined an engine as a result. I just use a breather/filler tube or the same with a road draft tube in addition. If you feel the need to use a pcv, there is an alternative. Some Corvettes had provisions for a pcv in the manifold filler tube. You can still get replacements from the Corvette restoration joints.

i'm not saying it MUST have a pcv "valve" but the engine must be VENTED

and just an oil fill tube/breather is not enough i believe...;)

but i dont claim to be a mechanic - cant even spell mechanic:rolleyes:

i'm not saying it MUST have a pcv "valve" but the engine must be VENTED

and just an oil fill tube/breather is not enough i believe...;)

but i dont claim to be a mechanic - cant even spell mechanic:rolleyes:

I didn't mean you HRP. I was tralking about the "experts" that write articles on the subject.

I didn't mean you HRP. I was tralking about the "experts" that write articles on the subject.

ok, i will not open the big can of.... well you know:eek:

i think you know what i mean about the "vent" --w/o some kind of vent the engine will push air & oil out of gaskets and seals...;)

all is good gas- no hard feelings:D

Depends on you're climate as much as anything! If your in a humid area
I would keep the PCV system, as it will help keep condensation down!!

My guess Gastrick is that you build engines well...

This in my opinion^^^^. Lots of folks will say you need a pcv but I'm not buying it. I haven't used them since I started building cars in the 70's. I've never ruined an engine as a result. I just use a breather/filler tube or the same with a road draft tube in addition. If you feel the need to use a pcv, there is an alternative. Some Corvettes had provisions for a pcv in the manifold filler tube. You can still get replacements from the Corvette restoration joints.

Get a little on the loose side on the rings...poor hone or just an old motor and blow by will pressurize the crank case and either pump oil out or blow out gaskets.... I'm preaching to the choir here but you need someway to vent that pressure and sometimes one breather isn't enough....I've seen road draft tubes plugged solid and the breather cap pukes oil like a bear.... with the PCV you create a negative pressure which saves you all that clean up...unless the motor is pumping blow by, the slight amount of "unclean" burn from the pcv is minimal and doesn't negatively effect the motors output..... that said, I've seen only valve cover breathers fillers on both sides and it worked out well without a pcv... but it is my opinion that one single vent / breather is not enough for the "average" motor to ensure proper crankcase pressure control.....again this is JMHO.....

PCV

I agree with SGT the pcv will not hurt anything, best to have the little bit of safty measure there to save the gaskets and seals, a new pcv valve is about $5 and $1 for a hose, small price to pay to keep the rear main seal from leaking.

And by the way HRP everyone knows you spell mechanix with an X :D

Latest posts

Back