The "Dark Sarcastic" truck caught fire under the hood...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
Man, I gan't catch a break for nothing...

Got my cam put in.
lifters adjusted.
Timing set good.
turned the truck around to hook up the power steering.
backed it out nice and easy---POP---mash the gas a little to get out of the driveway "cool, it didn't do it again" get all the way out in the street, Dropped it in drive nice and easy, mash the gas a little bit---WHOOSH--- What's that pretty orange glow under the hood?[S
Pop the hood..:mad:.. "bring me the fire extinguisher"

I will have to wait till tommorrow to see the extent of the damage.

It was a B / C extinguisher, Will I just be able to clean it up top side or do I need to pull the heads?

Sidenotes
1. Yes I have power steering.
2. Do not say yes, you will have to pull the heads.

Don't know the answers, but I'm sure sorry to hear about the fire! Hope everything works out for ya!!..CR

My biggest worry is that the powder from the fire extinguisher is going to cause problems to the point that I have to pull the motor just to clean it safely...Man I do NOT want to do that.

Dang...Sorry to hear 'bout your fire. I had a nasty one in my ol' Cuda. It almost took my house down and trashed my fresh wiring and detailing under the hood. Fire squirters are good...Hopefully yours saved enough to salvage without to much work!

Sorry to hear of it. One of my memorys of my child hood is the smoldering air cleaner on the ground after dad put the fire out on our 63 Ford Falcon. Makes an imression when you are little.

B-C Powder is Sodium or Potassion Bicarbonate. This chemical is highly corrosive. It really likes aluminum and electrical connection .

You need to get that stuff cleaned up as soon as possible . Clean up what you can then wash down that engine compartment with a lot of water. If it got in the motor and you will need to get it apart as some as possible.

I use to work the fire crew in the pits at Pocono. The pit crew did not want we spraying that stuff in there engine compartment unless they gave you the ok.

Yep, we've had boats come into our marina for repairs where the owner doused a fire with a powder fire extinquisher. Really made a mess and was hard to clean up. As Hot40rod said, get it rinsed off as soon and as completely as possible.

Don

Was it still running when you sprayed it? Or did you start it afterward?

If not, I don't see why you would need to pull the heads. Might need to pull the carb and see if it got past it.

Seems there has been a string of bad luck around here lately. But then it depends how you look at it. That fire coulda got a whole lot worse!

That fire sure could have been a lot worse.

The truck backfired and choked out. I tried to restart but it just would not hit, then I noticed the glow under the hood. I only uset the powder enough to put the fire out. Took a look this morning and it is oll over the throttle blades, And down into the intake manifold.

I have a strange feeling that Im gonna have to replace the carb. I think it was a 780 cfm that my brother had put on it.

Just gonna have to look after work today.

Thank for all the well wishes guys.

OK guys,

I have good news.
Just to be a "Wiseguy" when I got home from work today I grabbed the key, went out to the truck......

AND IT CRANKED

Took a look on the secondary blades and they were caked with that stuff.

BUT IT CRANKED

I am soo [cl

i would not suggest cranking it again until you get all that crap cleaned up out of it or you might end up sucking some of it through the engine. just sayin

After I got it backed back inot the garage, I pulled the carb and cleaned it out real good. Checked inside the intake manifold real good, there wasn't a lot of that stuff in there but I got it all out as good as I could. It really seems to be hitting on all 8 right now. May have to re-adjust the valves and have the timing set with a light, not to mention that the carb needs to be jetted down.

It seems to be an endless pitt of time and money..

It seems to be an endless pitt of time and money..

welcome to the world of hot rodding.....:D

seriously though...i'd say yuo'll be ok with the rest of the engine......

i saw an underhood fire on a truck one time that burned off all the plug wires, and other electrical connections......powder all over the thing-it did have a breather on it though-but anyway the guy took off the carb, vaccuumed out the intake (shop vac of course) put new wires on it and a rebuilt carb ......the thing turned out to be a really good old truck,

will be waiting for another update--don't forget to let us know[P

I hope to be able to leave work a little early today and make sure all the lifters are adjusted right, and maybe, just maybe, I can test drive it around the neighborhood....:D

As always, I will keep you updated.

Nothin' like a lil fire to get u're attention!!! Remember what Richard Pryor said... "People get outta your way when u're on fire"! :D

BoB

Well more good news...[cl
Got all the valves adjusted right (had some too lose, some too tight) Hittin on all 8 now.:D Got good throttle response...Still didn't get in a good test drive.:mad: Maybe tomorrow after work.[dr

Latest posts

Back