Thought I had a 54 Chevy cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Well I have this cab at a swap meet for sale and have had two guys try to tell me it's a 55 and not a 54 like I thought. They claimed it's a big truck cab off of a semi and that's why it has the older body style. Can anybody verify it's year by the vin for me? Maybe Doc knows?

I've tried it and about 10 others, I can't get any of them to work. They either aren't cell phone friendly or say they need 17 digets.

Don't always believe what guys at swap meets tell you. Regular 1/2 Ton trucks also used that cab for the first half of the '55 model year. The body changed mid-year, which is why '55s are referred to as either "First Series" or "Second Series". There are a few ways to tell a '54 from a '55 first series, such as the '55 bedside tops were flat instead of angled. The '54 still utilized a torque tube while the '55 had a open driveline. As far as the cab goes I don't know of any distinguishing differences. You are likely left to decode your numbers for any defining information. Either way, it is either a '54 or a '55 "First Series". Tell the know-it-all looky loos that it can be whatever they want when they put cash in your hand...

Don't always believe what guys at swap meets tell you. Regular 1/2 Ton trucks also used that cab for the first half of the '55 model year. The body changed mid-year, which is why '55s are referred to as either "First Series" or "Second Series". There are a few ways to tell a '54 from a '55 first series, such as the '55 bedside tops were flat instead of angled. The '54 still utilized a torque tube while the '55 had a open driveline. As far as the cab goes I don't know of any distinguishing differences. You are likely left to decode your numbers for any defining information. Either way, it is either a '54 or a '55 "First Series". Tell the know-it-all looky loos that it can be whatever they want when they put cash in your hand...

Ya it seams most people at the swap meets claim to be experts on everything that they know nothing about. Same guy also told me that my rust free cab was way to ruff to be worth anymore then $300-400.... I didn't hold his opinion to much of any value lol

Thanks for the info.

Gotta love it.....when it's your stuff it ain't worth diddly,
when it's their's it's gold bricks.........and BED is right on
the 1st and 2nd series...........good luck

Just had a gentlemen stop by that actually knew what he was looking at and is interested. He claims that his wife is on the way with money and that he will also be paying me to deliver it to ohio. (I'm not holding my breath but he seamed legit)

I just plugged the numbers in for you at the link for Stovebolt.com.

It shows as a 1954 3600 Comm 3/4 ton
125.25 inch wheelbase made in St. Louis, MO

Gotta love it.....when it's your stuff it ain't worth diddly,
when it's their's it's gold bricks.........and BED is right on
the 1st and 2nd series...........good luck

Exactly the way this guy is, he's going around to everyone as they set up and telling them how off they are on their prices. If ya don't want to pay my price just move along.

BED, Wikipedia says the 54 also had the flat bed rails.
I don't know myself, just looking for clarification?

1954 - Only year for significant design changes. Windshield now curved one-piece glass without center vertical dividing strip. Revised steering wheel. Revised dashboard. Cargo bed rails, previously angled, now horizontal. Tail lights round instead of rectangular. Grille changed from five horizontal slats to crossbar design commonly referred to as a "bull nose" grille, similar to modern Dodge truck grille. Engine now 235 in³ straight-6. Serial number codes unchanged from 1953. Hydramatic automatic transmission is available for the first time as a paid for option.
1955 First Series - Identical to the 1954 model year, except redesigned hood-side emblems and modern open driveshaft in place of enclosed torque tube. Serial number codes unchanged from 1953 and 1954.

A couple of old pix of my 54 3100. Was original parts although I didn't find one with the grille and front parts still on it. You can see some of the traits Old Iron just pointed out.

It also came with the "bull nose" grille and enclosed driveshaft with the 235 6cyl. and 3 speed. I dragged it out of the woods behind a friend's house for 100 bucks, spent about 300 bucks on it and traded it in on a brand new Chevy truck in 1977...

I also had a '54... and wish I kept it. :mad:

Anyhow, my bed rails were angled. I don't recall the truck's origin (CAN or USA) but in a transition year I believe anything possible.

did the guys wife ever show?

The guy called me today. Said he had a emergency and had to go home. Said if I didn't sale the cab this weekend to call him and he will come buy it since he said he wanted it. Most people I wouldn't believe but I actually believe this guy. If he was a flake I don't believe he would of called me.

Latest posts

Back