to bite...or to not bite!?!?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Okay, so I'd love to toss a diesel motor into my 67 IH 1300 project... theres a few for sale on the lovely website I like to call TheifsList cause they'll steal all your money and rape your pockets but anywho, one guy has a 7.3 Non Turbo IDI motor for sale... 800 with tranny but I want to have a manual tranny so I ask for a price for no tranny...this guy tells me 500...blah.

Another guy, a 96 7.3 Powerstroke...no tranny for 500 with 130k on it, needs oil pan and exhaust mani....

DO I BITE OR DO I NOT BITE!?!?!? blahhhhhh

/end rant

leave it alone.

I can get you a whole running driving IDI king cab four wheel peel on 35s with stacks aluminum bed and a spare motor in the back for like $1500 It has a DANA 60 in the front worth about a grand on its own. Buy the whole thing take the motor from the back scrap the bed put a junk yard bed on sell the running driving truck and end up profiting off it and have the motor you want!

where the hell are yall finding those!? good luck with that up here in the NE haha

I know where there is a whole 7.3 IDI 4x4 for $600. It's been setting 4-5 years now. Supposedly has low miles on a rebuild. I would have bought it but it's an automatic and those engines are a big enough pig without robbing 50 horse to spin a C6. Around here they don't have much value, an old cummins will pull way more on a lot less fuel, everybody wants those.

I know where there is a whole 7.3 IDI 4x4 for $600. It's been setting 4-5 years now. Supposedly has low miles on a rebuild. I would have bought it but it's an automatic and those engines are a big enough pig without robbing 50 horse to spin a C6. Around here they don't have much value, an old cummins will pull way more on a lot less fuel, everybody wants those.

Taking a trip east any time soon? I'd love to get my hands on that....

you have to run a blower or turbo on a 6.9 to get good mileage out of one. usually will get 10-13 working maybe up to 15 empty.
I've heard of guys claiming 20 22 24 mpg with a turbo and no pump enrichments
An idi diesel has several fuel metering devices.
one is the mechanical fuel pump.. the faster the engine spins the more pressure it puts out.
Another is the govenor. the govenor sets the idle speed. the throttle moves the govenor thus raising the idle speed setting and the govenor compensates by adjusting fuel pressure and timing to bring the idle speed up to the new setting.
The govenor under light load and acceleration increases engine speed by simply advancing the timing.
After full timing advance is reached if the idel speed still has not been met, the govenor then increases fuel pressure.
There is another feature that enriches the fuel concurrent with the increase in timing under conditions when the throttle input to the governor is at a wider angle to the current engine speed.

It's several features built into the injector pump that each do something different that feeds off of what each other feature is doing...Makes it complicated as hell to figgure out unless you just think of it as a governing committee.

If your mechanical lift pump (fuel pump on a gas engine) isn't operating within proper pressures the diesel will not run right, it may burn excess fuel or misfire as if it was a gas engine and needed a tune up.
If you put an electric fuel pump on it...it will run too rich as if the injector pump thought the engine is at 3500 rpm all the time.

If you drive with a light foot, the injector pump will bring up engine speed on advance without significantly increasing fuel flow.
Every diesel has a sweet spot where the ideal parameters for piston speed, air flow, etc, cross. It's where the Base specific fuel consumption is most efficient.
The IDI doesel has another sweet spot. it's the rpm range where the fuel pump can no longer increase or maintain engine speed on timing alone and has to add fuel.

This is why every truck with different gears has a different sweet spot.
this is how it charts out for 3 different engines I had
1979 gmc half ton 5.7 v8 diesel pencil injectors turbo 400 with 3:08 gears
1982 eldorado with 5.7 v8 poppet injectors 3 speed automatic with lockup converter
1982 gmc half ton with 6.2 diesel 700r4 and 3:42 gears
1988 f450 swapped blown 7.3 for a good 6.9 5 speed manual with 5:86 gears

1979 gmc
18mpg city.
30mpg highway(60 mpg sweet spot and under)
18 mpg highway (65 and over)

1982 Eldorado
18 mpg city
32 mpg highway (65 and under)
18-24 mpg highway (67 and over)

1982 GMC
18 mpg city
26-28 mpg highway (65 and under)
18 mpg highway (67 and over)

1988 f450
10-12 mpg city
15 mpg highway (55 and under)
10 mpg highway (60 mpg and over)

Now your wind resistance regardless of body design is linear from 1 mph up to around 60 mph where it begins to graph out on an exponential curve.
At about 67 mph wind resistance is increasing exponentially so much it is obvious that you are wasting enough fuel you can figure out how much in your head.

Most of my diesels were optimized by the factory to max out advance about where wind resistance starts creating a significant demand for fuel.
If I were to change the rear end ratios to move my sweet spot above 67 mph I'm still going to be "throwing the coals to it" to break the wind negating any advantage of the sweet spot and losing power below the sweet spot.

My f450 was a different case.
it was geared so low that the 5:86 gears with the overdrive was the equivalent of a 4:11 rear end with a straight 4 speed
But it had lots of pulling power if you kept the rpm's up.
It's okay to run a diesel at higher rpms. a gas engine is going to maintain the stoimetric 14:1 air fuel ratio and burn more fuel at higher rpm as it brings in more air.
But the diesel will lean out unless more fuel is needed and use roughly the same amount of fuel at 3,500 rpm as it would at 3,000 rpm>
if your not pulling too hard a diesel can cruise at 3,000 rpm on the amount of fuel it might use at idle while filling the cylinders with a maximum charge of air.
it's because the diesel has no butterfly valve. it is drawing in max air at all times and adding fuel as needed.
I got crummy mileage out of the f450 because it's about a 429(diesel) where the 6.2 was a 390 and the 5.7 was a 350... and the engine was past it's sweet spot in the rpm's long before wind resistance from vehicle speed became a factor.

The 7.3 diesel is 444 ci almost a 460. it gets roughly the same mileage as the 6.9
but 10-12 mpg towing and 12-15 empty.
Its better than the 6-7 loaded and 9-11 empty i get with a 460 gas engine (full time 4x4)
The half ton part time 4x4 i'm building I'll be running lockouts and a part time gear drive transfer case. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze 12-15 out of the 460 keeping my foot out of it.
if so it will be the same experience or cheaper than running a non turbo ford diesel after you figure in for diesel costing 30-40 cents more per gallon.
Unless your running heating oil or home made bio diesel...

I had a wild ideer
i have a couple 5.7 oldsmobile diesels and it would be a simple thing to just about bolt a ford 4 speed to my gm bellhousing..
I was thinking about running the thick head gasket to drop compression, add a vortech supercharger and headers to the 350 olds diesel with ARP studs...
there are guys putting turbos on them but a turbo runs high exhaust temps and the olds 350 head casting isn't an alloy optimized for turbo use.
using a supercharger and headers will keep the castings cooler
I also could run the thick copper head gasket to add a little more chamber to the cylinder for the blower to fill

How weird would that be a supercharged olds diesel hand grenade in a ford truck?
it wouldn’t be no goose-neck puller but but a cheap light weight 18-30 mpg diesel mill for a commuter?

about the c6 sucking power...
Dyno studies busted the myth. turbo 350 and c4 have less drag.
turbo 400 and c6 same drag
In top gear (1:1drive) all rotating parts of the slushbox are locked together with little friction
In top gear on a manual (1:1 drive) power is also transmitted directly through the tranny but unlike the automatic, the manual tranny keeps all gears in constant mesh all the time causing more drag than the automatic

HOWEVER

there is about 10% loss of engine rotation through torque converter slippage while a manual tranny does not slip.
if you could put a clutch or a lockup converter on a c6 it would be more efficient than a manual tranny. a 4l60, or 4l80, aod, or E4od is more efficient than a manual tranny but s far as horsepower goes an automatic even if it uses more fuel from torque converter slippage, according to dyno studies ... does not eat up more in friction than a manual tranny.

True but the automatic still has to turn a pump. The figures I read were also dyno results and some claim the C6 can rob as much as 60 hp but 50 was more of a general consensus in the articles I read. Another aspect covered in the article was the parasitic drag of the beloved 9 inch rear end. According to the article, the same low pinion placement that makes a 9 inch tough, also causes a lot of drag. One of the test mules was a 64 Comet convertible with an efi 302, C6 and 9 inch. Engine dynoed at around 230 but the car was only putting like 140 to the ground. At any rate, seat of the pants driving will tell you an IDI with a C6 is basically a slug.
Personally, if I was going to have a grease burner project it would be a 4BT or a 6BT. The 4BT can hold it's own pretty good empty and tow a single car trailer quite well. 28-30 mpg is pretty normal mileage. Then there's the little Nissan 3.3. Probably only 130 horse with a turbo but a sweet running little grease burner. I'd love to find one of those old Scout Terra pickups with one.

True but the automatic still has to turn a pump. The figures I read were also dyno results and some claim the C6 can rob as much as 60 hp but 50 was more of a general consensus in the articles I read. Another aspect covered in the article was the parasitic drag of the beloved 9 inch rear end. According to the article, the same low pinion placement that makes a 9 inch tough, also causes a lot of drag. One of the test mules was a 64 Comet convertible with an efi 302, C6 and 9 inch. Engine dynoed at around 230 but the car was only putting like 140 to the ground. At any rate, seat of the pants driving will tell you an IDI with a C6 is basically a slug.
Personally, if I was going to have a grease burner project it would be a 4BT or a 6BT. The 4BT can hold it's own pretty good empty and tow a single car trailer quite well. 28-30 mpg is pretty normal mileage. Then there's the little Nissan 3.3. Probably only 130 horse with a turbo but a sweet running little grease burner. I'd love to find one of those old Scout Terra pickups with one.

I would rather keep the International stay in its roots, aka at least put a Ford power plant in there.

I can see that. Plus IDI engines are cheap and easy to find. Staying with the IH theme, a DT engine would be cool and different. Old school busses can often be bought for about scrap price and can have DT series engines. A DT 360 would be a nice smaller size (5.9) And with an old school bus engine, you would have a true "old school" truck.

I can see that. Plus IDI engines are cheap and easy to find. Staying with the IH theme, a DT engine would be cool and different. Old school busses can often be bought for about scrap price and can have DT series engines. A DT 360 would be a nice smaller size (5.9) And with an old school bus engine, you would have a true "old school" truck.

I'll try to keep that in mind, I've never found one of those yet - every one around here is going for a couple grand (old busses). Would I need to get a new transmission setup and is size of the motor going to be an issue to fit on the frame without modification?

True but the automatic still has to turn a pump. The figures I read were also dyno results and some claim the C6 can rob as much as 60 hp but 50 was more of a general consensus in the articles I read.

so lets go with 60 hp on the dyno... that could be 60 horsepower at 6,000 rpm.

power loss to hydrodynamics is exponential so halve the 6k rpm and at 3,000 rpm the power loss is not going to be half of 60 or 30 hp loss.

The oil pump itself simply is not going to take 60 hp to drive, you could drive it with a 3 horse lawnmower engine.
it's is too small and doesn't flow near enough fluid to result in 60 horsepower parasitic.
As a rough estimate I'd say it flows less than a 3hp power washer.

The oil pump in the c6 is roughly the same size and flows the same oil volume as the front pump in a c4, a powerglide, a turbo 350, turbo 400, 4l60, 4l80, e40d aod...
it is close to the size and flow of a power steering pump.

also the torque converters are similarly matched to the engine size and vehicle weight regardless of if it's a gm ford or dodge.

Now if you hooked a tranny to a dyno and used the dyno as a motor to drive the tranny you could measure parasitic loss to friction.

But I suspect the dyno results your quoting are dynamic losses not parasitic.
if that's the case, if the dyno setup was such that an engine was ran against the dyno without a transmission for a baseline reading and then the tranny was added to measure by deduction the horsepower lost by the c6..
Then it would not be a measure of how much energy it wastes through friction but a combination of frictional losses and intertial losses

The bulk of your horsepower loss is due to the rotating parts inside the c6 being heavier than the parts in smaller trannies.
10% of engine rotation is lost motion through torque converter slippage.
some of the other power is lost through heat that occurs from friction of the hydrodynamic fluid flow within the torque converter as it approaches stall and multiplies torque.
The rest of your lost power is consumed when the dyno tries to accelerate the rotating mass..
Since the deceleration is not returned to the calculations the dyno operation only measures gross power required to accelerate the rotating mass from idle to redline
Power is a measure of force time distance or force times time.
Your consuming horsepower to spin up the guts of the tranny. on the street that energy would be returned when the whole thing coasts to a stop.
But on the dyno it gets chucked out of the equation because drag racing is about going the fastest from zero to win... the power measurements from zero to win and back to zero do not apply in drag racing.

The ramifications are that the 60 horsepower lost accelerating the c6 to 6,000 rpm are from:
Having to spin the engine at 6600rpm to get 6,000 rpm at the driveshaft>
the energy required to drive the engine an extra 600 rpm is also going to be part of that 60 horsepower
The frictional losses in the torque converter
The frictional losses in the rotating assembly (gears, clutches, bearings, oil pump)
The inertial "losses" from accelerating the mass then discarding the deceleration energy from the equation.

You still end up with a lost 60 hp but what I'm saying is it isn't leaving the party in the way you think it is. Some of that 60hp is real loss and some of it is an academic loss due to the way the power is measured and calculated. Dyno measurements are like trying t figure your mpg by only measuring how much power is consumed climbing hills.

The tranny comparisons i was refering to were dyno runs where they used an electric motor to measure the power required to spin a transmission at highway speeds under no load at a constant speed.
They compared manual transmissions against automatics without toque converters using only a direct drive hub and collar to turn the automatics.
Under these tests the automatics showed less frictional loss than the manual transmissions.

The interpretation of the results as to why the pattern evident in the tests did not exhibit in the real world use of the transmission was that in a vehicle the tranny is coupled to a slippy mushy torque converter and is under loads other than just coasting along.

You put a clutch on an automatic and it's going to take measurably less power to operate than a conventional constant mesh manual transmission

about the size of a power steering pump to an automatic tranny front pump...
I've rebuilt both. seen em both nekked and gaping and believe me they are sisters

Latest posts

Back