Tons of Old iron heading for the crusher..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just seems wrong on so many levels. First you hoard it, then threaten to crush it, then give some lame short notice that it's for sale. Hope the price of steel plummets the day he sells to the crusher. Everybody should pick out a vehicle from the picture, call him up a few days after the 30th, and offer a $1000. bucks for it. See who feels bad now!![ddd

It really grinds my bolts when I see this kind of scare tactics used to try to make a few bucks. What's wrong with this picture :
1. Like not farming that little coner of the field is gonna break the bank !
2. Obviously some one spent years collecting them (probably a family member) and this guy is just crapping on them too.
3. So how is he going to weigh the ones he sells, or does everyone in Alberta have a scale ?
4. The pic was taken late winter or last fall, why wait so long for the ultimatum?
5. I guess it's the only place he has to put up a barn for the hay rolls.(not)

Unfortunately this really happens too often, and the big lie is that scrapping them is the best for the environment!! BS, I say. The scrap goes to China to be smelted into more cheap crap, they have little or no environmental controls and to boot, all the oil burned squishing, shipping both ways, etc., is incredible. The real green option is to put them back on the road, hot rodders are the real recyclers !!

A few years ago they closed a local junkyard and had an auction. Scrap value was estimated at something like $125 per vehicle so that's where the bidding was started at the auction. Very few of those cars sold and now collectors are complaining that this or that nice car/truck was crushed and what a**holes they were for crushing the cars. To be honest, if he waited until winter when scrap prices go back up a little, he might get $250-$350 a piece which is more than most of them are worth now IMO.

This is a shame is so many ways ! I can t belive this ! To bad alberta is 2500km away. A lil too for for me ! This. Guy should be sent to the crusher[ddd. Its a shame that it s all about the money ! Guy probably inheited all of it to! Its like paving paridise to make a parking lot

Seems to be there's alot of a$$holes in Western Canada.....:mad:

Okay-now that I've got the "knee-jerk" reaction off my chest, let's talk reality.

Here in the rustbelt, is where the new homes for such vehicles should be. It's simple fact that the "supply" of useable 1940's-1950's tin originally found here (Southern Ontario) pretty much dried up by about the time they were 20-25 years old in the 1970's.

What now remains is largely hoarded by old timers who are primarily motivated to see old cars or trucks "restored" and don't like "hot rodders." These same individuals will cheerfully ask HUGE sums of money all day for rustbuckets with rotten, unuseable frames and completely missing floorboards.

I remember going to an old junkyard in Eastern Ontario some years ago with a buddy of mine. I asked one of the attendants there what they were asking for vehicles, as there were a couple of A.D.'s there which could have been saved, especially with the use of one of the more solid 1-1/2 or 2-ton truck cabs there. His response was "Anything worth towing out of there will be going for $800-$1000." Seemed then (and still seems now) to be a steep price for something which is worth probably $150 for scrap value.

Incidentally, this same yard I'm speaking of used the scare tactic, "Oohh, were gonna CRUSH IT ALL by such-and-such date if somebody doesn't come and buy it" for AT LEAST a couple of years before they actually did crush everything...Right down to scare ads in Old Autos...

Back to our Alberta stash-$400-$500 is a pretty good price for a reasonably solid A.D. 'specially since I've wanted one for 20-plus years. However, you'd have to add on the price of shipping from Alberta to Ontario, which could run $1000 or higher! Suddenly your cheapo old truck looks a little bit more unreasonable. Starting to look better to buy something imported from Arizona or desert California...At least then the price would be justified with a truly "rust free" vehicle. Western Canadian vehicles DO have rust, just not nearly as much as what we have here in Ontario...

I kinda wandered off on a tangent there, I think. Anyway, time to get two little girls to brush their teeth and get off to work.:( Talk atcha all later.

Regards,
Shea:)

as aggravated as we all get over people and their lack of appreciation for our old rides....the bottom line is, its his stuff to do with as he pleases-sell it crush it, or watch it rust away.....

with that being said, i don't like the "threat tactic" being employed to make a few extra dollars......and unless prices are higher in canada than around here about 200-300 is all he'll get at scrap value.....so IMO he'd be better off selling them to rodders/restorers--and he should itemize his inventory and list it for perspective buyers.....

wish i had the time/money to buy them all--it would make a nice start on my dream salvage yard (of course some of the complete ones would be kept from being parted out)

curious to know how this all turns out, so keep us posted guys....

That $450 scrap value is BS.THe local scrap yard pays about $150 a tonne for unprepared cars.That adds up to little over $300 per truck in my book.

If you notice, there's a golf coarse not far the place. That tells me everything. The surrounding richy neighborhood sprawl is rapidly closing in on that land. Makes it worth huge money for new housing tracts. This kind of thing is happening here. While I am no greeny, we are losing a lot of these open spaces for the greedy all mighty dollar seekers. These peolpe are the inheritors of huge propertys that thier parents or grandparents had and instead of preserving it like thier forefathers, sell it for quick money. The money from the scrap is minimal compared the land value. I am still trying to figure out who can afford these huge new houses they putup on these propertys. Most of 'em around here are foriegners on free government visas or sponcerships near the universitys. This is what is happening to our country unfortunatly. Didn't mean to get political, but that's the bottom line. By the way, these kind of people don't really like us at all.

as aggravated as we all get over people and their lack of appreciation for our old rides....the bottom line is, its his stuff to do with as he pleases-sell it crush it, or watch it rust away.....

with that being said, i don't like the "threat tactic" being employed to make a few extra dollars......and unless prices are higher in canada than around here about 200-300 is all he'll get at scrap value.....so IMO he'd be better off selling them to rodders/restorers--and he should itemize his inventory and list it for perspective buyers.....

wish i had the time/money to buy them all--it would make a nice start on my dream salvage yard (of course some of the complete ones would be kept from being parted out)

curious to know how this all turns out, so keep us posted guys....

I believe the last time I got a price list a couple of weeks ago, our local steel mill recycling place shells out $135 for scrap cars....that's with the fuel tank removed and you drag it in...I see alot of late model heaps rolling through those gates everyday (it's right across the street from Shea's bus garage, just gotta look out the bay door).

You're right, of course, HRP. These are this individual's vehicles to do with what he wishes, not a darn thing any one of us can do about it. It is a shame, though, it looks like they're located right in the way of the great rush for "urban development" which Western Canada is experiencing...unless, of course, he listed his home address for the map on Kijiji and the farm is outside of town.:rolleyes:

Anyway, rant mode "OFF" Shea's said more than enough already. Back to your regularily scheduled cut-and-chopping fun.;)

Regards,

I agree that the land is probably worth several times more than the old tin. Realistically, how many of you would set on a half a million dollar piece of property to save a few thousand dollars worth of junk? We are all motivated by economics at some level. I don't like seeing old stuff crushed any more than the next guy but how many of us would hook up the trailer and spend 2-3 days to go get a nice rust free truck instead of spending untold hundreds of hours patching rust on one from just down the street?
I just had a friend send a semi load of good solid AD sheet metal to the crusher because he couldn't give it away.

Well, according to his ad.."No phone calls after 7pm".."No calls before 9am"..so it`s probably his home phone. I say we start calling at all the wrong hours.. Pay-Backs are Hell ...

ok, I will play devils advocate here. technically what we are all doing to these cars and trucks ruins the value anyways as far as the purists view goes. when it comes right down to it, it is just some bent metal that we are all twisting into our own art form. We add motors from everywhere, even cross polenate the sheet metal with other brands (gasp!). But you also have to remember that there was something like 150,000-400,000 of these truck made each year from each brand. Losing the 75-100 trucks here isn't really going to put a dent in the population of these. They were also just a new truck at one time so does that mean we should not crush that 1997 S-10 or the 02 silverado sitting in the door yard? a 57 chevy was at one time a mothers grocery getter. Somone on here hit it on the head by saying the people who cry the loudest after they are crushed would not ever step up and buy one to save it. If you did save a couple would you actually save it or push it into your back yard and continue to let it corrode away? I used to say the same thing everytime I read one of these stories but the reality is I can't finish the projects I have now in my life time let alone gat another and "save" it. Besides, letting all those go makes all the other ones that you do have more valueble in the end although not by much. Just my $.02

All i know is i hauled 948 pounds of scrap last week, and i got $54.00 for it.. so i would say shea is more in the ball park of the value of them as scrap...

reminds me of this video. makes me weep watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mspuZJVxE

I had to stop @ the 5 min. mark....I couldn't take it anymore.:mad::(

But yeah, someone earlier posted about "putting your money where your mouth is." I guess I'm guilty of that, coulda had something "old" when I was younger, decided I'd rather drink my money away instead. Now, married, kids, low income and whipped.

Oh well, a guy can always dream. And look at pretty pictures...[P

Regards,

I emailed him his township is all over him and trying to force him to sell and clean up. It happens often but we are leaning how to defend ourselves by finding out about the Canada land grant law. It is illegal for the township or city to TRESPASS on your property with out your permission. This information has been hidden for years and is slowly coming out but you have to look it up on your own.

Latest posts

Back