Too Little Gas?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I have an 89 F150. Put a new fuel system from tank to engine. I put in a couple gallons of gas in it and was running it when it died. Won’t start. I put a little gas in and still nothing. Did some troubleshooting and no gas in the line. So the question is , is it possible that that 2 gallons isn’t enough to run on? I have been reluctant to put too much in in case I need to drop the tank. Thinking tomorrow just get 5 gallons and see what happens. Thanks. Jim

Did you prime the carb to get it to run? Or did it start on what was in the tank?
Seems that 2 gals would be enough.....I'd put another 1/2 in and see if she starts.

Fuel injection? Can you hear the pump cycle when you first turn on the key?
Try to hit the bottom of the tank directly under the pump pickup. Sometimes they will start running, sometimes they won’t. I’d bet the pump in the tank has quit or possibly the fuel sock on the pickup has stopped up. Another thing to try is blow air from the front to back with the cap off, you should hear air bubbling in the tank if the line is clear.

Thanks for the replies. It is EFI. The tank and pump are new. I need to crawl under and have my Wife cycle the key to see if the pump is pumping. I going to put some more gas in too. Reading online these trucks do seem to have ground problems too and there is rust being over 30years old in CT. Thanks. Jim

I've had this problem a couple times. The hose between the pump and supply line in the tank ruptures and doesn't supply fuel.
This has happened twice on completely new assemblies.
Likes been mentioned, turn the key on and listen for the pump to run, if it runs pull the pump and check, if it doesn't run check for a blown fuse, bad relay and the ground from the tank to the frame.

Check to see if you have fuel pressure with a gauge.
If you don't and the pump is running then the hose connecting the pump to the fuel line, inside the tank is possibly ruptured or blown off and the hose will need to be replaced.

Yesterday I had some free time and got out the test light seeing where and where not voltage was. I took the pump and EEC relays out and checked around. Had 12volts where it should be as well as the inertia switch which was suspicious to me but OK. I put the relays and switch back in and hooked the battery up and heard the pumps kick on and fuel pressure now at the rail. Not a fa of intermittents. The only thing I can think is that the probe may have scratched sum corrosion from a relay connection. There is a mod to change the stock relays to Bosch. On a positive note it is nice while chasing a problem you learn a lot and cleaning up things, like the TB I took off, make the truck run awesome. When you turn the key you don't even hear the starter. It just starts. Hoping it will today though. :confused: Thanks for all the help. Jim

Glad you got it started. My latest Vette was like that, it has two injectors, one wouldn’t work, so I replaced both figuring as old as they were they could be bad. Nope, still couldn’t get one to work unless I swapped the wires. After I finally got a decent fuse block diagram that was labeled correctly, I found out each injector had its own fuse. Pulled both, they weren’t blown, but had corrosion on them. Scratched the connectors as best as I could, sprayed them with electronics cleaner, put in two new fuses, wham, I suddenly had two injectors! It’s funny how electric stuff can be plugged in and not be making connection. Just a light film you can’t even see will stop a lot of stuff….

Just a FYI, this dielectric grease is you electronic friend.

attachment.php

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back