transmission noise I think

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Transplant

He started out with nothing, he still has most of
I hear and feel a bad roar in the front end of my mothers van (this is a 2001 Chrysler town and country V-6 3.8 ) ,,, sounds like mud-grip tires on it (big Mud-grip) tires , and a slight vibration in the steering wheel ,it starts at around 40 MPH . I have replace the bearing assembly's on both sides and C.V.shafts . still roaring sounds like its in the front end , my brother-in law says change the wheel bearings in the rear.. ?? I may end up doing that but I still feel its the front end .. I'll put it on jacks tomorrow and see if I can get it to make the noise in the air ...
Any one have an idea of what it is ,,,I'm thinking the trans is going out , it shifts fine , the oil dose smell a little burnt but it has never been changed .. it dont smell as bad as I have smelled before, but ?????

just put it up on the rack ,, i run it up to about 15 and the noise is coming from the wheel bearing ,, I would have said (no way) that was possible ,, I just changed the both less than 3 months ago.. but took it down and bearing felt like a corn cob when you turned it .. which you couldnt do that with the cv shaft still hooked to it I tried and couldnt tell what was trans and what was bearing .. My son is on the way to the auto parts to get it replaced. its still under warranty .. Labor should be , but thats not how it works .. That van came close to getting traded in for another way of going .. just because of some faulty part :mad: Glad I took another look .

You didn't get those parts at AutoZone, did you ? I have had NO luck with their DuraLast parts, I call them Don't Last parts. I went through 3 power steering pumps, two alternators, water pumps, and lots more . Oh, they gladly hand you another one, but you still have all the labor involved in swapping them out. :mad:

I only go there for cleaning supplies and oil now, their parts are horrible.

Don

oreillys and yes autozone carry's the same brand . I think i'll have to start going to advance they sell a different brand this was a masterpro (monster pile of $hit) less than 3 months old and shot .. just had the week long issue with the CV shaft from them (duralast) I finally went to advance and got the shaft (which was in stock) and showed them the difference and give them the part number and it still come up as the same messed up CV shaft they ordered twice for me .. Just glad its fixed for now .

440 Im thinking back and your right .. I believe they have given it to me , several times before .. just havent thought about it much till here lately [S[S

Latest posts

Back