Trying to ID my Camaro subframe.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I got what I believe is a Gen 2 Camaro subframe, welded it into the '56 Ford Fairlane. I'm trying to find out what year it is in order to order some parts. The numbers I've found so far haven't done me any good. I was told there would be a date code on the upper control arms, but the numbers I found don't seem to match any of the formulas I saw. I also found a number stamped on the subframe, but it also doesn't compute according to the formula I found. There are some numbers on the rotors, but I'm not sure which one is a date code and how to read it.

Any Camaro gurus out there? I sure could use some help. I'va attached some pics if they might help (the steering box isn't the stock piece, but everything else seems to be).

The number on the subframe is 1 1002S6. One control arm says H23L 6L and the other is stamped C03 (or 003) HL there is also an 08 C7R and an 8M RR7 7

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• DSCF2275.jpg
    DSCF2275.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF2276.jpg
    DSCF2276.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF2280.jpg
    DSCF2280.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF2288.jpg
    DSCF2288.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF2290.jpg
    DSCF2290.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
early 70's used a smaller outer wheel bearing and the tie rod lengths are different. you can use the newer tie rods wih the newer center link.
They made the outer spindle larger on the later years. looks like a g body steering box.
it should have have the large splined pitman arm 1-1/8? where the 3 bolt manual box has the smaller 1-1/16? the next size smaller after that is the vega box
4 bolt s-10 manual box or comparable power box should be the same as what you have.

if i remember right i THINK you can swap the spindles and 12" rotors from the late 70's b body GM's right in whereas you would need custom upper a arms to swap them into a nova or a G body
B body spindles and 12" 3rd gen F body rotors for the 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern as those B bodies had 5 on 5

An 86-ish Buick grand national fast ratio box should bolt right in too
The Jeep Cherokee fast ratio box is the same but has a tighter turn radius
You want to look at the input shaft for any box you might change to as there were 3
differences in size and spline count. each one has it's own rag joint mount.
The jeep Cherokee collapsible steering shaft with U joints is supposed to be a bolt in for the G bodies

early 70's used a smaller outer wheel bearing and the tie rod lengths are different. you can use the newer tie rods wih the newer center link.
They made the outer spindle larger on the later years. looks like a g body steering box.
it should have have the large splined pitman arm 1-1/8? where the 3 bolt manual box has the smaller 1-1/16? the next size smaller after that is the vega box
4 bolt s-10 manual box or comparable power box should be the same as what you have.

That G body box has the small spline output shaft. Otherwise, I'd be in good shape, I have a pitman arm that fits that box, but doesn't fit the center link. I also have a pitman arm that fits the center link but has the large splined output shaft. I think I'm going to order the box from Speedway that fits the center link/pitman arm that was on the car and take the G body box off. Now that I know within a year or two what parts to look for, it should get a little easier. :)

An 86-ish Buick grand national fast ratio box should bolt right in too
The Jeep Cherokee fast ratio box is the same but has a tighter turn radius
You want to look at the input shaft for any box you might change to as there were 3
differences in size and spline count. each one has it's own rag joint mount.
The jeep Cherokee collapsible steering shaft with U joints is supposed to be a bolt in for the G bodies

With the stock 16:1 box and the manual pitman arm, the steering is about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. That may turn out to be too fast, but I also have been studying options, including the stock pitman arm and a 1.5:1 steering quickener. I've got the collapsible column from the Malibu in the car, and it will fit pretty well with the dash and all. I had to "blacksmith" a brake pedal to fit around it and end up where it belongs, but everything is coming along pretty well.

Don't blow your money on a used speedway box
buy a reman with a warranty for about $150
I'll send you a link to a mate on ebay that has all the steering arms for around 25 bucks

ps box.jpg

the user 4x4steering on ebay sells all the steering arms you might be looking for. he is located in AZ.
tell him Mike Ederer from Omaha AKA torch4801 sent you.
he's a straight up cool guy and totally honest.

if you want slower steering just buy a reman stock box. you can also mix and match the little torsion bars in the input shaft to customize how firm you want the steering to feel. the mid 70's and older cars had a small torsion bar and mushy feel. the newer cars use a larger stiffer torsion shaft for stiffer feel and better road feel and feedback.

there is are also wheel stop adjustments you can make in the box.
one is at the upper end and is a literal adjustment...
the other end is accomplished by changing or modifying the aluminum plug in the end of the power box

My buddy is running a manual "4 bolt cover" box from an s-10 in his 82 malibu pro street
it has the large spline on the arm
And he tells me it is easy to steer and feels very good
It was a direct bolt in

You can find those 12" rotor spindles around used online for about $100 per side.
A big big improvement in stoppage over the 10" rotors

Thanks for all the great info, Torch! I really appreciate it. I'm taking three weeks vacation to work potato harvest for car money. When I get to that point, I should have decided which direction to go. :)

Latest posts

Back