what IS this thing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat'l Trap

At the Truck Nationals in Carlisle, PA last weekend, this truck was attracting a lot of attention. I looked at the engine, and could not see where perhaps two engines were connected. It said GMC on the valve covers. I've never seen anything like it. Well executed whatever it is (or was).

Attachments

• R ENGINE RT F CORNER.jpg
    R ENGINE RT F CORNER.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 144
  • R ENGINE RATTRUCK.jpg
    R ENGINE RATTRUCK.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 147
  • R ENGINE RATTRUCK MOTOR.jpg
    R ENGINE RATTRUCK MOTOR.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 161
The engine is a v-12 GMC. They used them in all kinds of stuff back about 1970. A lot of them were used in mining equipment and in road tractors.

Last edited:
It's a 702ci GMC V12 commonly know as a "Twin-Six". Several guys on here have one! Looks like he stole some COE sheet metal for that front end & I was surprised to see a quick change rear on it!

BoB

That is very cool, I love it when someone come's up with something totaly different.
?.... what's up with the front sysp? is it sprung or what? Looks like a set of friction shocks but I can't see anything else and the steering looks odd. Or are they some kinda torsion bar set up?

It's a '46 or so Chev COE. The doors have the COE fender cutouts in them. The drive may be through a boat V-drive, or a transfer case. That's really coloring outside the lines! Cool truck, weird engine choice, but at least it's not another SBC!

Doesn't appear to be any transmission. Could this be a trailer queen?

It drove in under it's own power. Originally he wanted to show it in the building where Ol Skool was, with about 7 or 8 other rats, but there was no more room.

It looks to me that the engine is mounted backwards and the trans is in the front the rear looks offset to one side? I think but I'm on my black berry probably using a transfer case

It did have a weird setup in front of the motor, with a chain running a shaft that went back to the off-center quick change rear. This must have been to give the drive shaft somehwere to live, next to the motor. The guy evidently did a lot of thinking to get that happening. Still not sure why, though...

Latest posts

Back