What To Do To Start This Old Motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy, The diagram linked to by "dmw56" is a good and simple way to go. nothing I could say would do any better. In that diagram there are a couple of circuits you dont mention, but anything not in your system just eliminate. You don't need the Ford solenoid at all in your application, take it back and get your money back if you can.

Follow those very few steps and you should be home free. Run into any problems give us a holler...

Roland

I got this thing wired today.[cl Just wanted to give a big thanks to all you who replied to my post and tried to help me out.:)

The battery is too weak to engage the starter but it is trying. Need a battery. I will let yall know when I get it fired.

Thanks again,
Larry

Maybe this will help...

Attachments

• schem2.jpg
    schem2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 40
Thanks riverrat for the diagram. I will keep this on file for future use.

BTW, when I was in to kayaking years ago I used to go by the name of riverrat also.
Larry

Come on larry, let's get this thing fired up!!:D..We're waiting patiently here to listen and see it on youtube!![cl...CR:D

Well its back to square one on firing this motor. I followed the diagram I had and thought I was doing it right BUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! Smoked the ballast.

Maybe one of you guys can be of help again. I need just a simple diagram, something I can follow. I am completely ignorant of wiring. Can bearly put batteriers in a flashlight and make it work.:eek:

Here's what I am trying to wire.

Toggle switch for on/off to push button, ballast resistor, starter, coil, distributor, battery. I think thats all????[S

Right now I just want to get it running enough to know if I need to rebuild the engine. Not worried about full wiring diagram at this time, just enough to get it running.

HELP!!!!!![S:confused:

Thanks,
Larry

Come on larry, let's get this thing fired up!!:D..We're waiting patiently here to listen and see it on youtube!!

Howdy CR55, After my last post another friend e-mailed me a new wiring diagram and I ran out and rewired the motor. IT'S ALIVE![cl[cl

Sorry bout not having a video of it but it does run good and no smoke:D:D Will have to do valve job and thinking about putting in a new cam and lifters in the near future plus a complete gasket set. Had to also buy a new fuel pump today to get it running.

Larry

Thanks. Next will be pulling the head and cleaning the pushrods and putting in a new cam and lifters. Getting a valve job done and cleaning the block. Think I am going to leave the botton end alone for the time being. It seems pretty tight and no knocks. Just replace all the gaskets. :)

Larry

kinda old thread but i figured i'd post this in case anybody needs a quick n dirty hotwire setup to run temporarily or just test an old motor... should cover ya for ignition and alternator wiring.

Attachments

• alt wiring.jpg
    alt wiring.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ignition circuit.jpg
    ignition circuit.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back