Wheel and Tire Advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppedsled

Hello, I gave it one last shot at looking for a decent set of used wheels & tires for my 34 highboy pickup. Can't seem to come up with anything, so where's the best place to purchase a new combo ? Want to go traditional, 15" big's n little's, maybe skinny 16's. Any advice on a cost effective route would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

chopped, probably the most cost effective way to obtain at least the wheels is to find them used locally. That way there would be no shipping involved. Probably the next best idea would be to scour the internet classifieds such as the one here or the hamb classifieds. There's always someone selling wheels and/or tires. You could also try ebay. You might get lucky and find some on the cheap.

If you are asking where the best place is to buy new, I would suggest Coker. You can buy a wheel/tire combination from them and they will ship them mounted and ready to go. This is just a suggestion. Maybe some others will have some better ideas for you.

Ebay worked good for me, but things have changed for hotrod parts in the last couple of years. The local swap meet was also a great source. I am with Gastrick on Coker tire, also check Speedway. You might find the wheels at the local salvage yard.

Wanted

Chopped,
Try posting on the wanted section of several different forums & on a local Craig's List. People may be considering changing their setup & be ready to sell their current one. My buddy was changing to Torque Thrust II's & I bought his bigs & littles.

BoB

Hello, I gave it one last shot at looking for a decent set of used wheels & tires for my 34 highboy pickup. Can't seem to come up with anything, so where's the best place to purchase a new combo ? Want to go traditional, 15" big's n little's, maybe skinny 16's. Any advice on a cost effective route would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
I guess I'm doing about the same thing. I started with bias ply tires from coker and I dont like them.Went looking today and found a steel rim , 15x8 with my bolt pattern(5x5.5) for 77.00 each.Found two new 15" tires , 31" OD and 10 1/2 " cross section for 125.00 each. I also hit a few small car dealers and our local poor mans used tire place and all said used 15" tires are scarce. Tomorrow I'm gonna hit some junk yards that I know have some old Chevy pickups and vans in them and make a comparison. Dont know what I'm gonna do up front , Some people say dont mix bias ply with radials but for this year all of my driving is gonna be local till I get all the bugs worked out . Maby I will score some fronts at a show or swap meet.The beauty of a rat is you can have mismatched wheels and tires and nobody cares , I have even seen old Ford spokes mixed with steelies.LFE

Yeah, I'll be interested to hear too, because I have run at least 5 sets of their bias plys, and currently have 3 more cars sitting on them, and have had zero problems. I actually prefer bias to radials on a hot rod.

Maybe on a rear engined car like LFF they handle differently??

Don

reasons

My tires are very skinny-its what I wanted going in-they do not have much surface area on the pavement. As ratzilla gets heavier-now at 3600lbs with driver and passenger- I wonder about being able to stop in a panic situation.I have disks on front and back and can easily lock up the wheels. I have not had an alignment done as we are still in the process of changing things so part of the excess wear could be from that I will admit. I guess its just a gut feeling I will be safer with radials. Have not made the switch yet nor purchased any thing just looking right now. I am installing new struts and new coil springs with adjusters in the rear been waiting for this to happen before getting alignment work done. Any and all coments are sure welcome.LFELet me add a little more as you have got me rethinking my plan Don.I got the idea for my wheels from the HAMB,when I looked into the approiate tires Coker said i could not run them on 4 1/2 rims. I went back to the HAMB and asked them about this they all seemed to think Coker was just CYA , and it would be ok to use them. So today I called Coker and the salesman told me the rims were too narrow and were causing my tires to kinda bulge at the top and thats why they were so round .I also went to the back of my shed and found some steel rims that were 6 1/2 wide and Coker has some tall bias ply tires that will fit nicely on the 6 1/2 steel rims. If I go this way I am done and dont have to also buy new radials for the front. So its sheaper to rectify the problem by just buying the 2 new rear tires. But I will still be using 4 bias ply tires. Don seeing as you have done so many rides with bias ply tires I am willing to go with your sugestion.What do you think ?. Engine and drive train are in the same location as they were in the Fiero so this should not be a factor. Would like to have this all done by this time next week as the big Carslile truck show is Aug 3-4-5,thats where i started this whole project by buying the cab there.LFE

Last edited:
Yeah, LFE, the debate about radial vs bias has been talked about on every forum I have been on, and there are people who think one or the other is the only way to go. In fact, on CHR just a few months ago, Hiboygal was asking about putting bias on her '32 roadster because she was prepping it to look "older" for that movie she is doing. I, and a few other guys were telling her that we have run bias ply tires for years and love them, and some other guys were saying the car would handle like crap and be dangerous, etc.

She made the switch, and after driving it for a while reported back, and basically said none of the doom and gloom she had been warned about happened. She felt the car handled as well as before, and in some cases even better. On forums like the HAMB, where traditional tires and parts are used a lot, you will hear the guys there say the same things.

It is like anything else in hot rodding, a personal thing. I just personally like the looks of bias ply tires on a fenderless car due to the squareness and "look." Not that radials look horrible or anything, but to me the just appear to be more "modern."

I have driven pretty much exclusively on bias plys on modified cars for the past 40 years or maybe longer. Even some of the stock cars, like my GTO's have had bias plys, although it scares me to think of all the 130 mph passes I made on tires that were never meant to go that fast. I can't say I really noticed any ill-handling issues on hot dry roads, or ones that were rain soaked. The cars seemed to track and stop well.

I think you have hit it with the rim width vs tire width ratio. The 4.5 rims are a little skinny, and something like a 5:00 or 5:60 x 15 would seem to fit that width well. Another nice thing is that the bias plys of today are much better than the old ones.........more modern rubber and manufacturing techniques.

Don

Hey chopped sled didnt mean to hijack your thread,Thanks Don you are really puting my mind at ease. The bias ply tire I got specs on today is a 8:20 - 15,so I go to a little 25 car local cruise nite tonight in the 47 and a guy is there in a open fendered car with you guessed it hes got 8:20 - 15's on it. they are just what i need . Problem solved . I am ordering them tomorrow , gonna paint the rims yellow to match the 47 and hopefully take it too the sat nite cruise.I'm gonna do this b4 I put the new coil springs on to see how much better it rides with the bigger tires. Will post a few b4 and after pics, thanks again Don , you the man LFE

While the subject is open...I think I want to run 16's back and 15's front. Is there any stock wheel that would be 5x4.5 in a 16? or would I have to go after market and is 16 rear and 15 front a bit odd?

Hey Luckyfasteddie, you didn't hijack my thread. It's all good info, thats why I like this place. My dad laughed when I told him I was buying bias plys! But he also laughed when I had a set on my 49 ford. I'll admit they didn't handle as well on the freeway, lots of ruts from semis and winter studs, but they were fine else wise. I also love the look of them......

Finished painting my 15 rims today,my new 800x15 Firestone wide whites arrived today.Along with some new 250# x12" long coil over springs and spring adjusters. We installed the new struts and the springs and they were too weak they actually bent out of shape when we loaded them.So we put the old 300# x 10" long springs back on , put on the old rims and tires and took her for a ride.Just the addition of the new struts made an 80% improvement , man what a differance.Tomorrow with the new wider tires on should make it even better.I guess the old struts were shot like driving with old shocks.Like someone said a while back you spend nearly as much money and time making things right after you first completion date.Cant wait for tomorrows test drive. LFE

Latest posts

Back