Windshield frame question????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

For those of you that have used the crank out windshield I need to know what I'm missing... if anything. I don't have any pics of the backside of the frame right now. What you can see in the pics here is the (top) windshield frame hinges that bolt straight to the frame. The (bottom) mounts are the ones that push the bottom of the windshield out.

My question is... Is there supposed to be a little strap of metal going from the bottom mount to the bottom of the frame? On my windshield frame you can see where it looks like the bottom straps were broken......... Or am I wrong and the bottom just bolts to the frame? I'm almost certain there needs to be like a 3 or 4 inch strap to push this out. Is there somewhere I can buy the replacement parts or can I make it? I can't seem to find any info on this.

Hope the pics help some and I'll try to get some better ones later today or tomorrow morning.

windshield1.jpg

windshield2.jpg

That bracket at the bottom of the windshield should bolt to the windshield frame and when you crank the windshield out that bracket should pivot. I can't see if there is a pivot pin holding that bracket but there should be one.
I doubt if you would find any reproduction parts for the windshield linkage or bracket parts. So if you don't have all the pieces you will have to make what you need.

The bottom piece does swivel. I wish I had a picture of the backside of the frame. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Thanks. I'm sure I can make it work.

The way Fuzz describes it is the way I have seen most of them. The top hinges are made sort of curved so they clear the body when cranked out, and the bottom is one or sometimes two strips of metal that push the windshield frame out as you turn the crank or push the lever.

Don

Latest posts

Back