You guys tell me ! ! !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
As some of you may know, I just replaced the cam in my truck. I finally have everything adjusted right and hitting on all 8...[S ... The old cam had a good "LOPE" to it, the new came sounds a bit more tame. Just wondering if I gave up TQ / HP by going the cheap route with the new cam. Im going to post the specs to both the best I can, and would be thankful if some could tell me which way ( if either ) I went on the torque and HP numbers...

OLD:
Valve timing / 0.006
intake LS / 110
exhaust LS / 106

intake exhaust
duration 270 270
dur. @.050 224 224
valve lift 0.47 0.47
lobe lift 0.313 0.313

NEW:
cam lift Valve lift
.270 INT .295 EXH .420 INT .443 EXH

SAE Duration 270 INT 280 EXH

LOBE CENTERS
107 INT 117 EXH

.050 DUR
204 INT 214 EXH

This is pretty much all the info I have on both cams. If anyone can help, I would be greatefull...
Thanks

You probably won't notice much difference at all...you may actually see a little more bottom end torque.

Can you tell any difference? I've changed to a cam I thought was hotter that turned out to me milder. Really made me mad, all that work for less than nothing! :mad:

Toad

Really Havent been able to get it out on the road yet, but here in the neighborhood, it wants to lag and stumble from a dead stop. That could be the carb out of adjustment. (it does have at least a 650 dual line with mechanical secondaries) may even be bigger than that. I even have the secondaries adjusted to where they basically don't do any thing. (don't figure that will do any harm on bottom end.

I will figure it out in a few weeks I guess...[S

the new cam is actually smaller "all the way around".....
i think the lobe separation angle make a difference in the lopey sound , too

i know a guy that has a cam that is actually smaller than my truck has, yet sounds "choppier" --it has 106 degree LSA mine is 109 LSA -know another guy who bought a cam bigger than mine (in both lift and duration) yet it sounds almost tame--114 LSA

anyway glad to hear you got Dark Sarcasm back on the road
and the hesitation thing could very well be squirters, also double check your timing, the vac advance in the dist. & the mechanical advance- and make sure all of the vaccuum lines from the motor are used or plugged....
just a few thoughts to ponder...

Just out of curiosity, what are the valve sizes in your heads?

Your old "flat" lift cam-.470/.470 was bigger and from my moderate experience I've felt that these even lift cams always sounded wilder. However, I've always preferred cams with higher exhaust lift. They seemed to build better torque...more bite than bark. As HRP stated, the lobe sep also will have an effect. :D

OK,
I can live with the smaller LSA.
I will look in to..... squirter size. I hope this week I will be able to take it out and open it up on the interstate at least a little bit. Maybe it just needs to be blown out real good...

I will keep you updated.

Latest posts

Back