zoomie pipes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyt

With all the guys running side pipes do you find if your sitting in traffic you get the exhaust coming up inside. Im looking to do a build and Im going to install some side pipes perferably zoomie pipes. Just curious on any feed back. Thanks!

Depends on the car. My friend had a Model A with zoomies. Not only was it too loud (the pipes pointed at the window), he got "gassed" whenever he stopped. My old '49 Sled had side pipes which exited at the rear wheelwell. Never smelled the exhaust but with motorcycle baffles, I couldn't take the noise.

I ran zoomies on my truck for a pretty goo while! They where baffled with MC baffles!! Still too loud!! Now I'm running open fenderwell headers, but they point down, and it's better, but still loud!! Gonna make me some baffles for them and see how it goes!!

Has anyone ever ran the IMCA style mufflers they run on the modifieds ? If you have how well did they work. They'll slip right up inside these Shoenfeld headers. A circle track parts house got thes headers for me and said I can take the muflers home to try and see what I thought. Engine is 305 Ho with a small bumpstick. I have nothing to lose by trying them,just wanted to know if anyone has.

Attachments

• !BmrrH)w!mk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEttkTQYIbBLgdekqZQQ~~_35[1].jpg
    !BmrrH)w!mk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEttkTQYIbBLgdekqZQQ~~_35[1].jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 29
  • photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 63
I don't like zoomies on a street driven car cuz they are too loud, you will get gasses inside the car and I don't even like they way they look. I believe they got popular only cuz guys started building ground scrapers that had no room for exhaust systems under the car and side exhaust interferes with openingh the door. Buildin a highboy style always appealed to me cuz it's simply more practical...good luck, post pictures of what you decide on doing, thanks...[P

Has anyone ever ran the IMCA style mufflers they run on the modifieds ? If you have how well did they work. They'll slip right up inside these Shoenfeld headers. A circle track parts house got thes headers for me and said I can take the muflers home to try and see what I thought. Engine is 305 Ho with a small bumpstick. I have nothing to lose by trying them,just wanted to know if anyone has.

I haven't tried them, but have been thinking about it!!

Ya I was afraid of one, too loud and two, exhaust fumes. The cars going to be pretty low. Might have to run pipes along frame not sure just yet. Any suggestions?

Open headers or zoomies sound good on a car that has no manners to run on the street. Best thing I did on my car was to cap the headers and run full exhaust with mufflers inside the frame. Open headers is just to loud for anything other then disturbing the neighbours you don't like. I went with a 2 1/2" cherry bomb which is still loud enough to be noticed but good enough to get rid of the crappy sound of open headers on a basically stock motor.

Fake zoomies!!

With all the guys running side pipes do you find if your sitting in traffic you get the exhaust coming up inside. Im looking to do a build and Im going to install some side pipes perferably zoomie pipes. Just curious on any feed back. Thanks!

I made machine gun style headers and it was too loud and fumes were a problem...I then took a set of block hugger headers and drilled out were the machine gun pipes were welded to so you could run them open if you wanted I did cap them off and ran a full exhaust system underneigh...It still retains the look I wanted plus also made it drivable...but a guy could still get crazy if you want to...Check out my build...it;s in there...RF

I've been looking for the same style headers. Do you have a part number for them?

Thanks,
-Troy

Latest posts

Back