My other project VW Roadster...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutman

Started life as a 67 Bug. Father son project. I wanted a convertible but too cheap to buy one so....

Bugsterblackandwhite.jpg

The build includes 8" chopped windshield, eight inch forward push to the front suspension and 4" drop, VW rim centers placed in GM 8" rims, modified header exh... and so much more.
Funny how something that looks so simple requires so much work. Alot more to this than just cutting the top off... but, you guys know what I mean.

miscpics003.jpg

100_0640.jpg

and my 9 year old son welding up the top caps...
weldingbryce028.jpg

Thanks for looking...

more pics...

before...

exhbefore.jpg

I cut the 3 inches off the ugly/cheap mufflers on the headers and welded on 3" chrome tips.

Jan212008010.jpg

exhafter.jpg

It's coming along nicely. Puttting a cap on the body cut line will be a lot of work. The overall look is really cool. Keep posting progress.

Ya, I never do anything the easy way.
Got the rough work done on the driver's side cap... only l got the pass. door cap and done with the top edge fornt to back both sides.
100_0685.jpg

I plan on doing a radius at the back to eliminate the sq transition to the package tray... since nothing on the car is square this doesn't look right to me.
The package tray will have short luggage strips (i.e. roof runners) for the finished look.
Just got my UPS of new shocks, ball joint boots, and seat covers.... all this equals, more work.
Thanks for lookin'

VWs are fun

Looks like a fun project for both of you. That picture of your son welding made me smile. My mother has a pic of me almost like that but with a stick welder. Good luck with your VW.

Looking good. Been checking it out on volksrods. Father and son projects are the best ones. :D Im helping my dad build his 35 Ford tk he has had for 45 years.
Tim

Man thats gonna be sweet :D

I have this one laying around that I have thought about making a "tub" out of
2007_09040004.jpg

Thanks for checkin' out my project. It is gonna be alot of fun. I am getting really close. Not gonna do any finish body work yet. I don't want to sand in my shop and it is 8 degrees outside. I will get the shop warmed up and slap some primer on til spring. A little electrical, pass. seat mount, and front brakes and she's a runner in the very near future... maybe as soon as next week.
Good luck on your sled...

Cool

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm a roadster kind of guy - so my opinion is biased...

I LIKE IT :) I look forward to seeing more.

its very cool Cutman you and your son are men after my own heart - I also like your tag line "One man's cool is another man's... "why" ? a sentament I aim to live by :D:D

Progess, progress, progress!

Finally got all the top edges capped off. Time consuming due to each section being made of three pieces. Also didn't like the square transition to the back deck so I roughed in a radius. I like it much better. Also patched matching 14"x18" rear floor pan rusty areas. It is coming along. Build the passenger seat bracket, blead the brakes, and wire the tail lights... and I got an unpainted driver!

with square transition:
002.jpg

rounded transition:
003-1.jpg

Progress rocks!!!

Got a lack of color today...

The Bugster got some flat black today. I am waiting until spring to spread filler and sand... when I can do that outside. Slapped a little rust converter and flat black to protect it. I can see how it will come out down the road. Ready for spring.

100_0717.jpg

Productive week...

The sun came out so I rolled it out for a little garage cleanin' and some pics. No body work yet but took a couple pics that got me even more fired up to get this on the road. In the last three days I finished "Z" transition at thr top of the doors (yep, if you cut the top off the door has a little notch you don't normally see). Built the seat brackets for front seats, got the front brakes all back together (after the pics were taken), and built the frame to support the roofless Bugster. It won't be two tone (just a little primer to protect the new metal until body work).

100_0727.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

Looks good. You're almost there. I really like what guys are doing to the old bugs these days. What a difference it makes to take off those fenders and move the front suspension forward. Be sure to keep taking pics and sharing your progress.

Looking good!

Cutman,
Looking really good! Have you done anything to the engine?

ISore

Nothing done to the engine. I pull the tin off next winter and paint it. My experience with aircooled motors is to just leave them stock for best performance in the longevity area. All the one's I have suped up have been a lot of tinkerin' and don't last as long. This one runs really well from the day I drove it home. Not messing with a good thing. With the pipes I have on it... makes it sound like a Harley with drag pipes. :eek:

9 yr old does bodywork!!!

My wife is smokin' hot, my daughter is every dad's dream and.... my son does bodywork. It don't get any better than this.:p

Bodywork001.jpg

For doing all that sanding, you can buy him a new pair of jeans. Oh, wait, kids like 'em like that!

Latest posts

Back