My other project VW Roadster...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing new... it is running great. Got a new camera so I took some photos last weekend of it.
Unsortedpics070.jpg

Unsortedpics074.jpg

Unsortedpics053.jpg

One a buddy of mine took with me and the boy on the freeway (yes, a VW will do 65mph!)
RollinRoadster.jpg

carson top coming...

Well, you know a project is never finished...
just letting you guys know that I realized that driving this thing in the 100+ days in Eastern WA got dang hot and my forehead a few sunburnt days. Did you know that top of your head can get sunburnt... through your hair! I have thick hair too. Not to mention, the couple times I got caught in freak, summer downpours. So I am building a carson top for the roadster. The plan is roll with the top on the 95+ and cloudy days. I have half the framework done and will finish the framework up tomorrow and post some pictures. Thanks to all those that have posted carson top projects as I scoured several sights for instruction/inspiration.
Stay tuned...

Cool photos Cutman. I somehow missed them when you first posted them.

The Carson style top idea sounds neato. Don't forget the pics.

Cool cool cool ride. I love bugs and you did a nice job on this one. The headlight placement is purrrfect. Thanks for the pictures.

Wow... thanks for the great comments. Been working on the framework for a carson top. Last weekend I built carson1, it was UGLY... today I built carson2. It was more of a wedge look. Low in front and little higher in back. Got it all done, and while it was "okay", I wasn't diggin' the rear proportion and it wasn't quite round enough to flow with the Bug body. Carson3 is a hit (IMO)... Low and sloped in the back. Sort of a speedster look? The plan is to cover it with canvas and treat it with the same waterproof stuff they use on canvas tents.
Here ya go. Whatcha think?

... the gap in the back (top to body) is fixed now.
carsontopII001.jpg

Progress/Hold Downs

Saturday my Mom came over and helped me sew up the canvas I plan to use to cover the framework with. It came out really nice. I still need to add a couple support tubes the back bow.
As for latches/holddowns:
After looking at latches locally I didn't think they were 60mph stress rated and... since it would really suck for my carson top to fly off on the freeway... I decided to build my own. This is what I have done for the front latch:
carsonlatchfront001.jpg

I am thinking of using "hood pins" for the rear hold downs. The pins will be mounted on the rear deck with tabs welded to the rear hoop of the carson top with the female hole to "receive" the pin... focus boys, stay on track, we're still talking carson tops here.

Off on Wednesday... more progress and pictures to come.

carson top

Got some time after Spring Break and being back to work to finish up the frame for the Carson Top. I welded in some more cross bracing to support the bows and keep the fabric from sucking down between bows when pulled ubber tight. I didn't get the very front done because still kickin' around how I want that finished. I also got the rear hold down done with a $9 hood pin kit from the local auto parts place. I built the front one from scratch. I drove 5 miles to pick up my son from school and no rattles. That is saying alot since I live in the country on a half mile gravel driveway. I am very pleased with the lines/countour I finally achieved. Might wrap it tonight when I get my wife home and some extra hands help.
Thanks for looking!
100_1697.jpg

100_1698.jpg

100_1699.jpg

carsonlatchfront001.jpg

Latest posts

Back