1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice truck. I too have a f1 rat truck. I zed my frame in front ,when the cab dropped 6 inches I didn't think about it but my front end got pulled forward 6inchws. So now I just left the front fenders off. Kept the hood and grill (51/52 ).made the hood tilt foreard. Kept the rear fenders. Wish I knew how to post pictures... oh well.

Great job! ' got to be a blast to be able to drive it after all the work you've done.

Nice detail on the window regulator gusset too. I love it when people can fix (and upgrade) their stuff.

So.. my transmission is leaking from the speedometer cable output.. Can anyone tell me is there a seal in there? Im assuming that i will need to drain the trans to rectify the problem..

had lots of set backs this weekend.. managed to bend my bedside with having the jack stand too close.. arghhhh

spring will be here soon.. got to sort out the remaining issues... so I can put some real miles on her this year

Yes there are two one around the pencil gear housing and one inside the housing to seal the pencil gear.
Check and make sure the gear shaft doesn't have a groove on the shaft.
You do not have to drain the tranny but you will lose a mi-neut amount of fluid.

Thanks Old Iron, appreciate the insight, I was down there fiddling with it this weekend and didn't want to pull the gear out as I was fearfull of dumping all the fluid on the floor.

When you say check the gear shaft for a grove, I assume you are talking about damage to the shaft allowing it to leak?

thanks again

Yes, the gear that goes through the housing is called a pencil gear. It's shaft goes through the inner seal and at that point they can form a groove on that shaft.
A little trick is to not drive the seal all the way down to it's seat so it runs in a different position on the shaft.

s-l300.jpg

1967-chevrolet-camaro-overdrive-speedometer-gear.jpg

thanks for the additional information OI.. I have an aluminum power glide..

someone needs to remind this guy that summer will be here before he knows it.. so he should get off his butt and finish this thing..

[S

Hey! It was fun putting it together but it is time to enjoy some satisfying cruisin' in a ride you built yourself just the way you wanted it. I was out today in the crate doing just that. :) Time for some smiles and waves and compliments and trophies.

Hey! It was fun putting it together but it is time to enjoy some satisfying cruisin' in a ride you built yourself just the way you wanted it. I was out today in the crate doing just that. :) Time for some smiles and waves and compliments and trophies.

What EMan said! Knock out the little details and go cruising! [cl

What EMan said! Knock out the little details and go cruising! [cl

Don't think this was intended an April fool's joke.......;);)

haha thanks guys...

life has just been very busy lately.. I did manage to finish the air cleaner.. i like it.. but i dont love it.. if you recall its a big artillery shell... WW1, which was then an umbrella stand... and is now an air cleaner..

I think i got a little carried away with the copper wing nut... i think it will need a trim

I also got around to finally drilling and pinning the T handles, I had been avoiding that dude to needing to dill the stainless... to my surprise it wasnt bad... one less thing on the check list...

I was hoping to get some more time in on it next sat... but on my drive home I heard a strange sound coming from under my daily driver... the bottom 2 coils.. broke off my spring... awesome... [S

Well... reinstalled the now redkote'd gas tank.... fingers crossed we are done with leaks.. We made a mess out of the paint job dad did a great job refinishing the tank yet again... changed all the fuel filters and she fired right up...

I made some adjustments to the steering box this winter.. I think i went too far with the adjusters on the backlash... last year I could drive it with one finger.. it was a arm workout now to turn, and its not self centering after a turn, got to steer it back center. So the box will need more adjusting. I have its first show penciled in.. but its about an hour and a half drive so i need to get some more miles on her before I can think of making that trek... just over a month away

I took these shots i was going to submit to the photo contest but I procrastinated so here they are.. lol

I like this one.. but my foot is in there.. Im an amazing photographer.. ha!

Thanks guys

I just had to say how impressive your build is! I've been watching it for a long time but haven't posted so I figured I should. The attention to detail is above and beyond! I hope you get to drive the hell out of it this summer:[ddd[cl

Glad to hear you have the tank fixed.
You can definitely get the steering boxes too tight :(
Bottom the adjustment screw while lightly rocking the steering wheel back and forth then 1.5 to 2 turns out [P

Messed around in the garage this last weekend... all of a sudden Im getting no rear brakes.. Hooray!

Im not sure what the problem is.... [S

I had in line residual valves in place when i originally plumbed the truck.. but then could never get fluid past them.. Did some reading and concluded (maybe incorrectly) that modern master cylinders often have them built in... So I took them out and we seemed to be in business...

Im getting fluid at the rear wheel cylinders.. but cant tell if Im getting a real good push. There is a large z in the frame that the line goes up, so maybe I still have air in there..

- Could be I need to bleed more.. but we have done it alot
- Could be sizing issue with my master
- Could be that its a disk/disk master... although I was told it was disk/drum which is what my truck is
- Maybe the rebuilt wheel cylinders are leaking, verifying this is a big undertaking with the full floater rear end and needing to dismantle so much to get in there

Im toying with the idea of bleeding the breaks with the engine idling in order to engage the hydroboost which will give me a better push.

Puts a damper on getting to the show next month, have lots going on this summer.. getting married in Aug.. buying a house, my next big project is a house not another car (sorry guys).. built in 1898

If anyone has any ideas Im all ears! On the bright side.. gas tank isnt leaking! Small victories!

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back