1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey corpo, just stumbled across this build and all I just want to say you did a amazing job. I'm currently building a 36 Chevy truck and about 3 months ago I was kind of getting overwhelmed and kind of stopped, but reading this post the past few days and now finishing it has inspired me to pick back up strong again. I see you live in Chicago, I live in north west Indiana, about 45 min to a hour from Chicago depending on the traffic. Again amazing job.

Hey man.. Thanks for the kind words... glad I can give you some motivation to get back after it.. I checked your build thread.. looks like it needs an update!

Stay after it!

thanks man!

small update - Dads been dyna mating the doors, he said he cant believe how good they sound now when they close.. He also dropped the templates for the side glass off at the glass place..

i had started on making the new glass channels but my welding helmet decided it had enough, I had not realized there were batteries in there. This one was built with non replaceable batteries.. which I looked into replacing, decided it wasnt worth the hassle.. NEW helmet on the way i did buy a good old fashion lens to go in my old helmet, cant just toss it. Still a useful tool

I believe you can buy the auto darkening components too. So you could restore it. The welding helmets that I have always fall apart before the electronics go bad.

I believe you can buy the auto darkening components too. So you could restore it. The welding helmets that I have always fall apart before the electronics go bad.

Yeah, I know I can get a replacement auto darkening lens.. but after doing some research it wasn't all that cost effective to replace the lens, new set up wasn't all that much more.. Plus now ill have an old school helmet which will never run out of batteries and leave me stranded

Yep...looks great.

Been out of pocket for a while. Truck looks great! Feels good to finally get it on the road, doesn't it? Just got my COE out... Matter of fact, I drove mine in a local Christmas parade and hauled my 4 grandsons on the flatbed. Had a blast!

Again...awesome build.

Been out of pocket for a while. Truck looks great! Feels good to finally get it on the road, doesn't it? Just got my COE out... Matter of fact, I drove mine in a local Christmas parade and hauled my 4 grandsons on the flatbed. Had a blast!

Again...awesome build.

Thats great Shakey! Ill check your thread.. hope you put some pictures up of the parade!

Small update...

Dad did a great job getting the dynamat in.. cant believe how good the doors sound now. No longer has that empty can sound, we have also been messing with the old side glass and getting the template into the shop for new glass..

The window channels were all messed up, I had one that appeared to be original but was rotten, and then one other farmer creation

So I located some new window channels.. but obviously they dont have the track components that these had... I drilled and salvaged the two original stamped ones.

Then fabricated a set of new ones... here they are side by side.. I welded a thicker piece of steel to the edge to match the edge thickness of the original one.

Heres how I create offsets in material, its worked really well for me on several occasions. First bend up but not to a 90. then clamp a piece of material of desired offset thickness. Hammer liberally ....

heres the result, turned out pretty good

I was also having some issues with the gear jumping when bringing the window up, so after a little investigation.. This little tab is intended to hold the gear alignment

I bent it back to where it should be, and it worked for a few times up and down, but then began to skip again. So I created these little gussets, there is very little room to add material between the regulator and the glass...

Hopefully it will do the trick and I wont have too many problems in the future. The window regulator is very simple and honestly doesn't work all that well. They changed the design in 39 (i think) to have a parallel arm set up, this style only has one arm, and just kind of shoves the window up. with no real system for keeping the window straight besides the guides i created above. But lets be honest, my truck is a fair weather vehicle.. I just want them to work, even if not all that well.. In case the lady gets chilly

Well dad and I spent a bunch of time taking the glass in and out.. adjusting the guides, channels rubber.. etc.. Much to my surprise they work great, up and down with no assistance required. The single arm set up is weird, it goes crooked as you roll the window up.. but then straightens itself out..

I am cooking up one more detail I think you guys will enjoy.. more to come

thanks for checking in!

Latest posts

Back