1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great balance in overall shape of the car...love it! Got plans to remove traces of the fenders on the qtrs? Either way, awesome build [cl

great balance in overall shape of the car...love it! Got plans to remove traces of the fenders on the qtrs? Either way, awesome build [cl

That's a hand made bed so what you're seeing is where the welds pulled up the millscale. Eventually I will take some sand papet and scotchbrite to it and remove the rest of the millscale.

That's a hand made bed so what you're seeing is where the welds pulled up the millscale. Eventually I will take some sand papet and scotchbrite to it and remove the rest of the millscale.

sorry, I mean the body. You can see where the rear end and fenders used to be

Got the last bits of the tailgate finished today. I wanted it to match the grill and frame. I think it really brings the truck together. Used a piece of 18ga that I cut 3" holes into and then sandwiched a scrap piece of mesh between it and the gate. After I finished that I started on the bed floor. Because of the compressors and tank mounted below the bed I wanted easy access in case I had to fix or replace something without removing screws or bolts so making the subframe hinged was a no brainer. I'm going to weld a piece of 18ga to the subframe and then attach barnwood planks to it to add a bit of rusticness to it. All in all, I really like the way the bed has come along. Really going to be the centerpiece of the truck.

I'm hoping to finish up the floor tomorrow and then get the bed back on the frame within a day or so.

Sub floor is all complete and made an access area for the fuel fill. That way I don't have to lift the entire floor up to fill the fuel tank. Next off it's some mechanical stuff that I've been putting off. Gotta rebuild the rear end and put new kingpins in the front. Anyhow, here's a few pictures of the floor in it's final stage.

The tailgate still messes with my perception. :D Very cool.

Could you sneak a tiny red LED into each of the circles that light up with the brake lights? Bunch of work and likely should have been incorporated sooner if it was going to happen, but it just popped into my little pea brain staring at your tailgate.

I could still do something like that and I have thought about it. Except with the inside diameter of the the tubing being so small that would lead to having very small brake lights. In other news, I made a slight mistake. For whatever reason I had it in my mind that the rear end was a 8inch ford but instead it's a 9 with 3.50 gears and I had ordered a 8 inch rebuild kit. So now I have 2 options. Either order a rebuild kit for the 9 or pull the center section from my spare 9 that has(or at least should) have 3.73s. I know everything on that one is tight but I haven't quite decided yet.

Not sure what you used for wiring but most kits have a 3rd brake light wire which basically is just an on/off with no blinkers integrated. You could use that to power the lights in the tailgate and just have them setup as a 3rd brake light rather than as the only brake light.

I havent even started the wiring yet willy but that's always an option when I get to that step. Anyhow, took the 3rd member to work last night and let her take a spin in the parts washer. Not good. There's chips taken out of the teeth on the pinion and some of the teeth on the ring gear are well worn. This morning I pulled the other 3rd, took it apart as the pinion felt a bit loose also and another not good situation ensued. The ring gear has rust on the face of the teeth and the rear shaft on the pinion is gouged where the bearing sits. So needless to say, a new gear set is needed. I'm assuming that since it was in a 4x4, water entered the axle through the vent tube. So progress is gonna stop for a bit but I'll continue after I get some parts in.

Not sure what you used for wiring but most kits have a 3rd brake light wire which basically is just an on/off with no blinkers integrated. You could use that to power the lights in the tailgate and just have them setup as a 3rd brake light rather than as the only brake light.
Or wire it with the tail lights and they would be on all the time. Well, not ALL the time, but, you know. :rolleyes:

Or wire it with the tail lights and they would be on all the time. Well, not ALL the time, but, you know. :rolleyes:

I had to re-read your post skip. I could cery well make the holes in the gate light up but I don't think I'll go that route. Not that I'm doggin your idea, I just don't think it'll fit with the overall look of the truck.

I had to re-read your post skip. I could cery well make the holes in the gate light up but I don't think I'll go that route. Not that I'm doggin your idea, I just don't think it'll fit with the overall look of the truck.
Just tossing around boomerangs. Maybe someone else will run with it. Maybe I will. :D

Latest posts

Back