1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More work on the bed. It needed some framework on the inside to add some ridgidity. So I made a frame work out of 2"x3" rectangular tubing. Also built mounts to hold it down. All I did there was cut some 3" long pieces of tubing, drilled holes into it and welded a nut to the back side. Place a 7/16" piece of plastic under and a thin piece of rubber and shes mounted. Also found that where I put the divider was too far forward so I had to cut it off and do it again. I swear that I've been measuring 2-3 times but each time it comes out different. I just don't get it. Anyhow, got the new divider installed and moved onto the edges of the bed. Took some 3/4" shedule 40 pipe and welded it to the outside edge. Added a lot of strength to the bed. So tonight at work I'm going to cut and bend some 14ga for what should be stake pockets without the holes on top. Then, I can start on the tailgate. I think y'all will really like what I have in mind.

And the bed mounts.

And the framework, well most of it.

Attaching the bedsides to the frame is a few 3" long fillet welds.

Until tomorrow, good night.

was going to bend some pieces at work but someone was stupid and broke the manual brake so that was a no go. So instead, I cut some pieces to fit and welded one pocket together this morning. Doesn't feel like a lot was accomplished but it's another step forward for the build. Gonna have to grind the welds smooth but I think I'll do em all at the same time. I'm thinking of mounting the tail lights below but I haven't quite decided. Anyhow, here's one of the 4 pockets I need to make.

Hopefully I can get the others made a little faster than this one.

I have followed this thread from the beginning. Truly fine fab and welding skills throughout, also a lot of different thinking on the steering and linkage and intake exhaust etc. I also caught the subtle clues about your job, I worked on the BNSF for 40 years. Keep on bang'n out the good work..[cl

Thanks guys. Didn't do much today with the bed. Got the passenger side rear pocket built and pulled the box off of the frame to make some templates for the front pockets. I'm going to actually make them scoops to direct air to the radiator so that it can cool efficiently. A coworker and I fixed the brake last night so I should be able to make the fronts from 2 pieces of steel instead of having to cut and weld a bunch together. So until tomorrow, keep on bangin.

Well, got the front pockets built so the bed is almost done aside from the floor and tailgate. Looks like tomorrow I'm honna be spending a few hours grinding the welds down on the back pockets. I also need to find another small piece of expanded steel for the inside of the scoop but that doesn't have to be right away, I just want it to not look like an afterthought. Anyway, pictures.

Haven't done anything over the past couple of days. Just really worn out from work, home life, etc. Today, I got bit by the gun bug again. Went to a local gun show and found me a nice little M1 Carbine that was just begging for me to bring home. So I made the deal and got the ol'girl. She's of a later vintage, by the SN I'm guessing late 60s, early 70s but she should be a lot of fun.

Might get back to work on the bed tomorrow but I haven't quite decided yet.

So I finished welding up the bed yesterday and got her mounted. Really ties the car together. Next up tailgate and then bed floor. Gotta take some sheet metal to work so I can use their brake. Haven't been able to decide on 14ga or 18ga for the tailgate or how to mount it. I think I know how I'll make it latch though. Anyhow, some pictures of the bed mounted.

Looking real good. We must have the same tape measure as it doesn't seem to matter how many times I measure. I've come to accept it.
Cool idea with the box and the air scoops for the rad.
I'm liking those tires, what size are they? They look tall from here and look good [dr

Looking real good. We must have the same tape measure as it doesn't seem to matter how many times I measure. I've come to accept it.
Cool idea with the box and the air scoops for the rad.
I'm liking those tires, what size are they? They look tall from here and look good [dr

Thanks Gunz. I like how the bed is turning out also. The rear tires are 7.00-18 bias plys and the fronts are 5/5.50-18s. Got them from Universal Tire out of PA. Theu've got a lot of off the wall tire sizes that no one else carries.

Got the tailgate mounted to the bed today. There's a few things I still want to do to it so that it matches the rest of the truck but she's mounted. Doesn't open and close too easily but the truck sits so low I shouldn't need to open and close it anyway.

And the battery box as part of the bed. Need to make a lid for it still.

Is the inset in the tail gate really deep, or is it an optical illusion? To me it looks to be about 6" deep.

Lookin' good! [cl

Latest posts

Back