1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, for the last few days I've been thinking how the hell will I mount my tank under the bed now and not have it where it sits lower than the differential. Then it finally hit me tonight. I've practically got an air tank in the last crossmember, all I've gotta do is drill a few holes, tap 'em, and clean out the crossmember. So now I know what my weekend will consist of.

So I got the air tank buttoned up. Faught a few leaks here and there and only had to plug off one, weld it up, and tap a new hole but now no more leaks so I'm happy. Once I got that all done it was moving onto the battery hold down. Made it hinge on one side and held in the closed positions with springs.

Three of the four fittings tucked up under the crossmember.

And the battery hold down.

Got my new dies in on wednesday so yesterday afternoon I started plumbing in the coolant lines. Got one in place but not too happy with the bends. They started to kink in spots but luckily they'll be mostly hidden so no big deal really. Just kinda the perfectionist in me says they're ugly. I know just what it is, the wall is too thin. Steel etc was out of .095 and I didn't want to use .120 but I may just go with .120 when I'm down there again. Had to make it in multiple sections just because the body sits so close to the frame that I couldnt snake it in no matter which way I went with it. After I get the other one put together I'll take a few pictures. Until then, y'all try to stay warm and dry, I know I am.

So for a while now, I've been trying to figure out how I was gonna mount my fuel tank and today I had an epihany. I needed to move the battery box and compressors and I have to say, it clears up a lot of space and to me, looks better. I'm going to get rid of the big expansion tank and that will be where my battery will sit. Figure on the other side of the radiator I'll fabricate and mouny a different expansion tank, probably a lot smaller too. Anyhow, heres a few pictures of the changes.

Ran out of oxygen in my torch outfit today so I've got a few pieces of metal to take to work and cut out and once thats cut out, I'll work on the "new" battery box.

Got my pieces cut out for the start of my new battery box. I'm thinking that once its all put together making a sort of lid for it all at tue same angle as the radiator but I havent quite decided yet. I'll use 18ga for this box because I have a half sheet of it still. Anyhow, heres a few pictures.

Got the oil drum cut down to fit between the bag mounts and test fit it for my fuel tank. Found some 1" square tubing to go across from one frame rail to the other and used some really long hose clamps to hold her in place. Figured out where my spout needed to go and used a hole saw to drill the hole for the spout. Still need to drill a hole for the sending unit that i havent bought yet, and install the pickup tube and return line. I'm thinking some 3/8" tubing would work well for that. Anyhow, here are a few pictures.

I haven't posted anything lately because nothing new has happened. I got hit hard with a sinus infection this past week so I haven't been able to get out to the garage and I won't be able to get back out for a few more weeks as I'm being sent down to Kansas to finally become a certified welder. And even after I get back I may or may not jump right on the car again, I've been wanting a new hunting rifle and may have finally found the one. And if you're like me, if a rifle says something to you, the odds are, you won't find another that talks to you like that again.

So, I waited too long on the rifle and when I went back to get it, they had sold it, d'oh! Oh well, I may have found another but we'll see. For the last 2 weeks I've been down in KC for welding school. Found out that some of what I've been doing has been wrong. Like with 7018, you're supposed to just drag it, no weaving needed. Same with flux cored wire. Don't weave it. Turns out, the way the flux is designed, as soon as you go back over it, you trap slag. The only thing your supposed to weave is 6010 and 6011. Also, welding codes suggest not to use solid wire on anything over 1/4" thick and even then, they siggest what's called spray transfer which you need a maximum of 10% cO2 more desireable is like a 8%cO2/92% argon mix. It's been an absolutely incredible 2 weeks of learning down here. I'm hoping that I can come back next year for another class, they offer a total of 5, 2 week long classes.

Thanks e-man. Anyway, finally figured out what to make my pickup tubes in my fuel tank from so I went around town to try and find some 3/8" steel brake/fuel line. First stop was Napa and thu were closed, second stop O'Reileys and they quit carrying short pieces and they didnt have 3/8" bilulk, so then I went to Carquest but all they carry is aluminized line. So looks like I'm gonna be going to Napa on Monday when they open up. Found an electric fuel pump that'll work with diesel from summit so gotta put an order in for that and a few other odds and ends and I should be able to get the fuel system done aside from the sending unit that I have to order from a VW specialty shop. So seeing as I couldnt get that stuff done up, the ol' lady and I went and picked up her new "toy." A 9mm Star Firestar pistol that she's had her eye on. If you have never seen one, it's a Spanish built pistol based off of the 1911 but in a smaller body. Similar in size and weight to a Kimber Solo Carry 9mm. Tomorrow I'm going to be checking out some "leftovers" from a project(I think he said it's a 31 or so chevy pickup) that a co-worker of mine has. If the price is right, I may be coming home with some more old steel. Anyhow, that's it for tonight. Y'all take care.

So I did get around to making the pickup tubes for the tank. Ended up using 5/16 instead of 3/8 because 3/8 just seamed way too big. Ordered some stuff for the fuel syatem from summit the other day so I got to town plumbing my fuel system. Found a holley electric fuel pump for diesel for about 40 bucks, 25 feet of 5/16 tubing, all the fittings I needed, and the shocks for the rear. In order to uncoil tue tubing I needed to get a tubing straightener so I looked online and decided I could make one for a lot less. Went to the hardware store and picked up a few pulley blocks. Pulled the wheels from them and layed them out on a piece of 3/8" plate. Drilled a few holes and made the top set adjustable. If you need more in depth directions, message me and I'll get back to you when I can. I figure all in all it cost me 30 bucks to make. Beats the hell out of 80 bucks for the handheld type that only does one size or the 200+ ones out there. Heres a few pictures for y'all.

[/[URL=http://s540.photobucket.com/user/endicott_jb/media/A34C254E-E919-49F0-81EE-E9244FC97917_zpsyspcz5hv.jpg.html]

I think if I were to make another straightener, I'd use a few more wheels. Might make it just a touch easier to get it perfectly straight.

As for the fuel system, heres how it turned out. I wasnt too thrilled with how it's all ran but once the bed is on, it won't make a difference.

Tomorrow I'll get back to buttoning up the steering. Somehow between the three or four times the body came off things got moved around a bit but nothing a welder and grinder can't fix.

Latest posts

Back