1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the heat shield.

What are you going to use for a quick release on your steering wheel? I ended up machining a 3 bolt to hex/with lock groove adapter for mine since I didn't want to weld the shaft adapter that came with it onto my aftermarket column.

I like the heat shield.

What are you going to use for a quick release on your steering wheel? I ended up machining a 3 bolt to hex/with lock groove adapter for mine since I didn't want to weld the shaft adapter that came with it onto my aftermarket column.

I found a quick release that bolts to the steering column I used. I didn't want to weld to the column either.

So all of my parts to rebuild the rear end came in yesterday so I needed to make a fixture to hold the 3rd member. Yes, I could have just bought one from speedway, jegs, summit, etc but what's the fun in that? Especially since I have a ton of scrap metal and a tubing bender. Mounts nicely to one of my engine stands and can rotate all the way around. So that was my project for today and tomorrow I'll start the rebuild process. Gotta remember to check out a few torque wrenches from work so I can actually do it correctly. Anyhow, this is the fixture.

Much prettier than the one I made.

Just a suggestion, but I think it will work better when you flip it over if there are some nuts and washers on those bolts. :D

Much like around many of our shops..."how long did it take on the project?" Well, 2 days to make the tool, 2 hours to make the part...[ddd:D[cl

Much like around many of our shops..."how long did it take on the project?" Well, 2 days to make the tool, 2 hours to make the part...[ddd:D[cl

I can relate! Been working on my cross member a hour here, two there, bet I'll have 40 hours into in when finished.:eek:

Spent the morning building up my 3rd member. Made a bit of a rookie mistake though so I had to take it all back apart again. Because I went with 4.11s, I had to clearance a bit off of the pinion support. Where it needed to go to get depth, backlash, and proper gear pattern it was hitting the carrier. Once I got all that sorted out, put .014" of shims in, torqued everything down, and checked the pattern once more. After I got that finished I decided to prep the axle shafts. Took way too long and a lot of heat to pop the old bearings off but I guess that's the joys of using old parts. Anyhow, gotta pick up some other axle bearings(the ones I have are for an earlier axle) and everything will be set to go back together.

Got the wheel bearings and seals today so rear end is back together. Just gotta let the silicone cure so I can fill it with gear oil and it'll be all set to go. Still waiting on the new kingpin kit so tomorrow I'll start on the wiring. Gotta decide where the fuse block will go but I think I'll lay out the harness and wherever it fits best without splices is where it'll go.

Got the wheel bearings and seals today so rear end is back together. Just gotta let the silicone cure so I can fill it with gear oil and it'll be all set to go. Still waiting on the new kingpin kit so tomorrow I'll start on the wiring. Gotta decide where the fuse block will go but I think I'll lay out the harness and wherever it fits best without splices is where it'll go.
I put mine where it would be safe. Now it's kind of a PITA to get at it. :D Something else to put on my "lessons learned" list. Think access along with all the other factors. Not having to splice the harness is important, too. Have fun.

Started the wiring today.

Figured out where my fuse block is going to sit. Just made sense to mount in up front in the center of the cowl. Once I have it mounted I'll take a few pictures. First order of business was to trim the fat off of the universal harness. Had to cut the connectors that were installed from the factory because I'm not using a chevy column. Plus, it allowed me to really see what I'm working with. After that, I started running the headlight and tail light wiring. So now, headlights are wired in and the leads are somewhat ran. We'll see what I get done tomorrow.

Wiring, wiring, and more wiring. That's been the game here lately. Got everything except the turn signals, fuel pump, clearance lights and power windows done up. Even hooked my charger up to it to make sure that everything so far is working as intended. I was dumb and forgot to order a turn signal switch and turn signals with my last order so if I have the funds for it I'll order those up next month and then I should be finished with wiring. She's getting really close to turning over.

Latest posts

Back