1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I dropped it off the stands yesterday to test the air ride. I think I have some wires mixed up to the valves and switches. I'll have to jack it up again to sort it out. Hopefully I can just move the wires around until it works the right way. My steering wheel adapter came in the other day but because I had mounted the column prior to installing the seat, it was a little far away and by a little I mean seven inches. So I fabbed up an extension out of some pipe and 1/8" plate. Seems to work well and goes with the overall look of the car. Once I had all that done I mounted a set of mirrors I got about 2 years ago. This thing is really starting to cone together. Friday, as long as funds are in good standing I'll order the rest of the electrical parts I need. Still need to take my driveshaft down to get balanced but I also need to find the correct u-joint for it first. It is really down to all the little things now.

Off the jacks and bags deflated. It stands right at 42" at the tallest point.

And the taillights have actually grown on me.

I'm going to have to make a skid plate to go below the fuel tank because it sits so much lower than everything else.

Steering wheel and extension mounted up.

And rear view mirrors installed. Gonna see if I can't heat up the arms and bend then down a little tomorrow so I can get a better view from the drivers seat.

Today I got the intake and exhaust mounted back on the engine after running the heater core bypass. For that I used some 1/2" pipe and 3/4" heater hose. I found a danger placard so I rivetted that to the exhaust heat shield. That way parents know to keep their kids away from the exhaust but in case they do touch it, I can't be blamed because I warned them. I wish the air cleaners were a little taller but these were the only ones I could find that weren't either super expensive or way too tall. Aside from that stuff, nothing else really to tell for today.

That might work as well as putting up a "WET PAINT" sign. :D

Hopefully no children will be permanently damaged in the process of learning a lesson we all have to learn sooner or later. :rolleyes:

I'm with Smallfoot on this one. Don't worry about the kids learning a valuable lesson, [they'll only burn themselves once in their lifetimes], worry about their dang parents, the same parents that didn't have enough smarts to teach their kids about life, those parents will be the noisy ones, so ----- help the parents burn their hands on the exhaust so they can learn about pain. Pain is a great teacher.

end of rant.

Looking good........except the fuel tank hanging down. It's too low, and just doesnt go with the rest of the truck. It might not drag but it looks like the first hump you go over will bust it wide open.
Just my two cents......

I agree Bama. The tank doesn't quite go with the reat of the truck. I just haven't found anything that gives me the same gallons, fits in the spot, and doesn't hang so low. A coworker gave me a good idea for it though; paint it like a PBR can so I may do that. I also have a model a rear bumper so that might go on also and make it seam like it's not hanging so low.

Well, that was the ticket. Spent the day narrowing the old model a bumper. I cut out the middle section to allow the hitch to be hidden by the license plate. Just have to make a flipup bracket for the license plate and the bumper will be finished. I really think that it completes the rear end of the truck.

What's the actual ground clearance measurement under the tank?
Looks like it should be fine for road hazards that close to the wheels...

The bumper helps, but the tank is still looking too low. Maybe paint it black to make it disappear in the darkness underneath? With your welding skills, you should be able to weld up a flat tank to fit there JB.

Latest posts

Back