1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ditto here. You KNOW when there`s something in there that shouldnt be... I NEVER let them send me home when they say they cant find it... search again! Next day is double trouble with rust spots...

Same here. The die grinder with a bur tool is the worst. the chips seem to have little barbs on them and don't like to come out of what they are stuck in.

ditto here. You KNOW when there`s something in there that shouldnt be... I NEVER let them send me home when they say they cant find it... search again! Next day is double trouble with rust spots...

Yeah, rust is no bueno. And according to the eye doctor rust starts to form between two and three hours after the metal gets imbedded in the eye. I really think what's worse is the scratches on the eye lid.

Not a lot to report from the endicott residence. Dropped the driveshaft off to be balanced, guy really didn't appear to want to do it but agreed on it. Got the injector replaced, changed the oil, filled the radiator with coolant, and went to turn it over with the starter and it wouldn't go so looks like I'm replacing the starter. Another piece to add to the dwindling list of stuff to get.

Another week of not a lot going on. Hooked the truck up to the car to jump start it and test the starter. Starter works fine so I just put a good battery in it and been working on priming the fuel system. So far I've got one line bled out but it's putting a lot of strain on the battery and starter so I'm having to take breaks in between to let the starter cool and the battery recharge. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can have the engine running and take a short video to see if I have any exhaust leaks or if the exhaust sounds like garbage.

Plan for today is to remove the glowplugs so there is no compression in the cylinders which will make it easier on the starter and try to bleed the rest of the lines. I figure if I can get 3 out of the 4 lines bled it should be able to pop off and run. I forgot just how finicky these little diesels are.

Most definitely Dozer. One day it's 70 and the next it's 40 with pouring rain. I was hoping to put some miles on the 33 this weekend but the weather for the next few days isn't looking too promising.

Would have been nice to have put in an electric pump to push fuel to the front, but you probably didn't think of it at the time. Keep plugging at it, can be a bear to bleed the lines, but you'll get it. [P

This is the really exciting part of the build - for me it was anyhow... we put a 5.9 12v cummins in our 36 Diamond T - and the first time it ran/drove was as exciting as getting a new puppy, LOL. Luckily, the 12valve has a fuel primer, so our fuel system was easy to prime and it started in only a second of cranking after having sat for 4 years :) Good luck with yours, cannot wait to hear it run!

Bama, I did put an electric pump on it. The issue was the engine has been sitting for a while so there was no fuel in the injection pump so I had to get all the air out of the system. Pulled the glow plugs today and cranked her over with no compression and that did the trick. Wish I had thought of that sooner. So after bleeding the fuel system I went through and adjusted the valves. Boy were they tight. After that, I figured it was safe to start it up. With the transmission in neutral at higher rpms the driveshaft that is connected to the tranny wanted to spin so it won't be until I get my driveshaft back from the machine shop that I can take a video of the engine running. I was really hoping that I could let y'all see it run.

Bama, I did put an electric pump on it. The issue was the engine has been sitting for a while so there was no fuel in the injection pump so I had to get all the air out of the system. Pulled the glow plugs today and cranked her over with no compression and that did the trick. Wish I had thought of that sooner. So after bleeding the fuel system I went through and adjusted the valves. Boy were they tight. After that, I figured it was safe to start it up. With the transmission in neutral at higher rpms the driveshaft that is connected to the tranny wanted to spin so it won't be until I get my driveshaft back from the machine shop that I can take a video of the engine running. I was really hoping that I could let y'all see it run.
YEA!!! It runs. [cl

Good deal JB! [cl I wasn't aware you put an electric pump on it, or forgot it. CRS ya know![ddd

Ran out of fuel in a Peterbilt one time, it cut off just before I got to where I was going to stop for fuel. Had to pull and fill the filters, then use starting fluid to get it to fire. Could have been worse, I coasted to the get off ramp, and had another truck pull me up the ramp and through the red light and I coasted down to the fuel island. Still a PIA at 10:00 at night.:rolleyes: It had been a long day, from Houston TX to north of Atlanta GA.......

Started off today installing a cable to shut off the engine. If you know anything about these older diesels, they'll keep running until the fuel is no longer flowing to the injectors. When I bought the car it wouldn't shut off without bogging it down with the clutch. Turns out the vacuum actuator wasn't working properly. So instead of using vacuum, I decided to work the cutoff mechanically with a cable. So once that was finished I went ahead and remounted the roof piece; which is now a sort of glove box because I realized that mounting a radio up there wasn't ideal. Got that reinstalled and decided it was missing the most important part. CUPHOLDERS!!!

The cutoff cable.

The glovebox piece.

And one set of cupholders/arm rest.

Gonna start on the other side tomorrow.

jeeze I actually saw the guibo coupler in an earlier picture and it never occured to me to see what motor you were using till I saw the mercedes emblem. love those 4 cylinder diesels, the lighter weight will be a godsend but I hope you leave plenty of time to pull out in traffic! I want to do a 5 cyl turbodiesel 41 truck someday!

love it love it.

Latest posts

Back