Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the body and tin work go off to the painter. Be interesting to see what he comes up with. He kept saying "I can do ... blah blah blah" and every time he said it I just smiled and said "Yes, you can". In the end he finally said "Well, I'll see what I can come up with." :D To which I replied "Great, I'll see you in a couple of weeks."

Got started on the drive shaft tunnel today. Cut a piece of 6" tubing lengthwise to form the top and bottom of the tunnel. Got that tacked in place. Just need to fill in the sides.

Ran out of time today because now I'm off to school for the next 4 weeks. If all goes well this will complete my certification and I will be a journeyman Heavy Duty Equipment Technician. Be good to get that done before I retire. :D

The machine shop ran into another snag on the motor - the very expensive RCD crank hub didn't have the keyways machined properly and has to be rebroached. Unfortunately this means no motor this weekend. :(

With all the delays and now back to school I'm beginning to worry about making Meltdown this year. Haven't given up yet though.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 37
Its been quite a day.

1. Got some studying done to prepare for the journeyman exam at the end of the month.

2. Got the side pieces cut, fitted and tack welded in place for the drive shaft tunnel.

3. Bought a house and 5 acres of land.

Its been quite a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 52
  • Calder_front.jpg
    Calder_front.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Calder_Garage.jpg
    Calder_Garage.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 52
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Congratulations! I don't see a big shop... but if you covered, say an acre with a building and lined 'er up with your "driveway", you'd have less lawn to cut. [ddd

The shop will come .. not quite an acre though :) but there is money left in the budget for a modest shop. Hoping to have something about 30 x 40 with in floor heat.

House comes with a Case yard tractor with snowblower, a John Deere lawn tractor with mower deck, a small tiller and a gas lawnmower. Hope that will be enough to make the yard chores a little easier.

Glad you got a place that will meet your needs. You should be able to make a little noise out there too.:D

I like your totally enclosed driveshaft. Gonna do that to the dragster next winter.

Glad you got a place that will meet your needs. You should be able to make a little noise out there too.:D

I like your totally enclosed driveshaft. Gonna do that to the dragster next winter.

Thanks Bob. The driveshaft tunnel is part of the rules for this type of car and is 1/8 thick mild steel. I think its a pretty good idea and will help save the friendlies in the event of a driveshaft failure.

Here's an arial view of the property. I'm planning to build the shop in the area outlined in red. Have to wait and see what happens once we get possession in mid August. Just got word from the agent that all conditions have been removed so its a done deal. Don't know what I'm going to do with the hayfield part though. :D

Attachments

• arial_view.jpg
    arial_view.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 52
Congrats on the house! 30x40 shop will be pretty good I'd say. And then later you can build a smaller Shed for parts and stuff that you shouldn't get rid of, but not your shop. And maybe a mower Barn... and a greenhouse for the misses....

Not getting a lot done lately. School and studying, getting the house ready to sell, and packing things to prepare for the move are all adding up to take pretty much all of my time. Managed to steal a couple of hours today to get the radiator mounted. Good thing I don't need a lot of cooling with alcohol for fuel. I actually run water in the engine not so much to cool it but to try balance the temperature across the heads. The block has been filled most of the way with Hard Blok compound.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg