Finally!!!! My first ground up build. 27/28 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranny

Ok after years of this thing taking up space in my drive way and dreaming of having a Hotrod, I finally got off my butt and started plugging away at my sedan.

While i've tinkered with cars for awhile now this is my very first ground up build. I'm no master mechanic or fabricator. Just a average guy with a busy family so I won't be working on the car every day and updates will be sparse.

My goal is to have a safe rod that looks cool. Plans are to keep it a 4 door, chop 4 inches, channel over frame.

s10 4x4 rear end with triangulated 4 link, 305 chevy small block with t350 auto tranny.

I have a 40 ford complete spring in front axle with disc brakes that i'll mount on a suicide spring perch. This will be a fenderless car.

Here's what i started with.

Attachments

• DODGE SIDE.jpg
    DODGE SIDE.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 106
  • Dodge%20side.jpg
    Dodge%20side.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 125
My first thought was to slap this thing on a chevy luv chassie and make a quick running car, but after seeing it i hated the look.

The porpotions were all wrong and the independent front suspention look horrible, so i scrapped that idea.

However the chevy luv chassie is made of 2x4 tubing and built pretty strong so i decided to clip the front end off and use the back half. I will stack 2x3 tubing on top of the cut off portion and that will be my front frame rails.

Here is how it sits now with the front clip cut off.

Attachments

• DODGE BUILD FRAME SIDE.jpg
    DODGE BUILD FRAME SIDE.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DODGE BUILD FRAME.jpg
    DODGE BUILD FRAME.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 127
Looks like a good start to cool rod..If that back half fits your body well then I would use it, but keep in mind,if you are going to need to modify it much at this point it wouldn't take much more to build the entire chassis from scratch..

Keep us posted on your progress

Looks like a good start to cool rod..If that back half fits your body well then I would use it, but keep in mind,if you are going to need to modify it much at this point it wouldn't take much more to build the entire chassis from scratch..

Keep us posted on your progress

The body fits the back half nicely only modification will be to cut extra length off the back and another cross member for my coilover mounts.

The body fits the back half nicely only modification will be to cut extra length off the back and another cross member for my coilover mounts.

Sounds like a plan!! Now get to work:D:D coming from someone who gets almost no shoptime..LOL

here's a pic of my front end i got off a guy who went with a mustang II.

Also a couple photo shop pics. While the extreme chop is cool i'm going to be a little more practical and stay with my 4 inch chop.

Attachments

• 40 FORD FRONT END.jpg
    40 FORD FRONT END.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 152
  • photo shop chop.jpg
    photo shop chop.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 166
  • photo shop chop 2.jpg
    photo shop chop 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 172
i took a break from the frame build. ( all the measuring, leveling, and squaring things up was making my small brain hurt!)

So to keep things moving i filedl in some holes on the fire wall.

I already know i'm going to suck at this build thread because i don't remember to take pictures untill after my work is done! So sorry for no before pics i'll try to remember them when i do some rust repair.

Attachments

• fire wall.jpg
    fire wall.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 72
I already know i'm going to suck at this build thread because i don't remember to take pictures untill after my work is done! So sorry for no before pics i'll try to remember them when i do some rust repair.

The more you you take pics and post updates, the more of a habit it becomes.

A 4" chop will be good enough.

Scored some parts from a trip to the Spokane swap meet this weekend!

1. 1993 S10 4x4 rearend with 3.08 gears. Should work good behind my Turbo 350.

2. A set of coilover shocks a guy said he took off his roadster. has 200lbs springs. Will this be enough to hold up my sedan?

3. Dodge radiator shell. A little bent up, but usable and has the dodge emblem!

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 56
  • radiator shell.jpg
    radiator shell.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 56
  • coilovers.jpg
    coilovers.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 52
  • s10 rearend.jpg
    s10 rearend.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 55
Also got some goodies from the brown truck the other day. Ordered this from Ron Pope Motorsports. Good guy to deal with.

Attachments

• crossmember.jpg
    crossmember.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 43
Laid it all out on my shop floor. I'm getting excited. Just need my wheels and tires.

getting the metal for my front frame rails today!!

Attachments

• frame laid out.jpg
    frame laid out.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 80
updates from this weekend.

I got my metal , 2x3 3/16th wall tubing and placed it on top of my luv frame to make the Z and tacked that into place.

Attachments

• z's frame.jpg
    z's frame.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
to fix this i made several cuts on both rails of the frame and then was able to bend them to my desired width of 26 1/2 inches for my cross member.

Attachments

• frame pie cut.jpg
    frame pie cut.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 36
  • frame pie cuts.jpg
    frame pie cuts.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
  • tack weld pie cuts.jpg
    tack weld pie cuts.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 40
  • fully welded pie cuts.jpg
    fully welded pie cuts.jpg