Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my bearings and seals today, this coming week I will press the old ones off and press the new ones on. Still have to figure out what to do on the center section.

I know what you mean about the receipts adding up. Years ago, when I was married, I would pull the checks I had written out of the monthly bank statement before my Wife got home. One day she beat me home and said "exactly how much money are you spending on this car ? :eek::eek:" Dinner was a little quiet that night !

Now that I am single my cats don't care how much money I spend on it, just so their dish is kept full. :D:D

Don

When I was building my '46, my last gf suggested a keep all my receipts and add them up so I know exactly how much I spent. I told her I didn't need to know...

If your married like I am you don't want your receipts lying around because she might add them up. Then you may be in deep poopoo. :(

Sorry guys, didn't see your posts asking if there is any updates, but now I finally have something to post . I got my center section back from Mark and got it painted last week, and then I had two new rear axle bearings pressed on and got those back today. So tonight I got the center section installed and also the axles and the car is now back down on the ground. [cl[cl[cl

This is kind of a major hurdle to overcome for me, now I can concentrate on getting the motor painted and installed. Ross Racing in Ohio machined me a water pump pulley to go with the modified lower pulley I already had, I should have that next week.

Bendtsens Transmissions is making me a 176 tooth flywheel and I should have that in a week or so too. I was ready to order a gear reduction starter from Ross Racing until he told me it wouldn't work with my 166 tooth flywheel because the companies that designed the lower starter switch over housing I am using (to move the starter to the right side for steering box clearance) made them to work with older Olds engines that used the bigger flywheel. Luckily, Bendtsens can make me the bigger one.

I still have to order all the rear brake parts from NAPA, but at least the car is sitting on 4 tires at last. :D

Don

Sorry guys, didn't see your posts asking if there is any updates, but now I finally have something to post . I got my center section back from Mark and got it painted last week, and then I had two new rear axle bearings pressed on and got those back today. So tonight I got the center section installed and also the axles and the car is now back down on the ground. [cl[cl[cl

This is kind of a major hurdle to overcome for me, now I can concentrate on getting the motor painted and installed. Ross Racing in Ohio machined me a water pump pulley to go with the modified lower pulley I already had, I should have that next week.

Bendtsens Transmissions is making me a 176 tooth flywheel and I should have that in a week or so too. I was ready to order a gear reduction starter from Ross Racing until he told me it wouldn't work with my 166 tooth flywheel because the companies that designed the lower starter switch over housing I am using (to move the starter to the right side for steering box clearance) made them to work with older Olds engines that used the bigger flywheel. Luckily, Bendtsens can make me the bigger one.

I still have to order all the rear brake parts from NAPA, but at least the car is sitting on 4 tires at last. :D

Don

That's a GREAT looking chassis! [dr

Yeah, there is more clearance than it looks in the pictures. The frame will settle down another 3-4 inches when that 1,000 pounds of Olds engine and transmission get put in there, plus the weight of the body, bed, tank, battery, etc. I also have yet to dial in my pinion angle (that is why there are no nuts on the bottom bar bolts) and that will tilt it up even more.

We ran a big piece of pvc tubing down the frame when we built it to act as the driveshaft and it goes over the crossmember with lots of room to spare. The frame doesn't travel much up or down in actuality, so even a couple of inches will be enough, but I have more than that. Also, when I have the driveline shop build my driveshaft I will have them make it out of a rather small diameter tubing as opposed to big stuff.

Don

I think I mentioned that this current roadster project is a tribute to one I built in 70-71. It was the first hot rod I actually got to the point of being able to drive. But the laws in PA were so tough back then that I couldn't get it registered. So my wife and I would bundle up our one year old Sons and we would cruise around our housing development and rush home before the cops would come. :p

Its a lot like this one, as it had an Olds 394, but it had a Cad/LaSalle 3 speed transmission. The only picture I have of it is a taped up Polaroid so the other day I took that picture to a place that restores pictures and they cleaned it up a little. Still not perfect, but much better. I am going to frame it and put it on my wall.

Don

I haven't had any progress to report lately because I was being held up by waiting for Bendtsens Transmissions to build me a new flex plate. It finally came in yesterday, so today I took it to the shop to see what needed to be done to make it fit.

My 394 Olds engine originally came with a 166 tooth flywheel, but to use the starter change over adapter I have I needed one with 176 teeth, that is what Bendtsens had to make me. The problem is, the bigger one rubs inside the block on the sides, so you have to grind some metal away on the inside of the bellhousing area for it to fit. That is what I did tonight and now it clears fine.

So, my next step is to repaint the engine to freshen it up, and I am going to take the motor mounts to the powder coater this next week and have them coated black to match the frame. Once those are back and the engine is repainted white I can install it into the frame for the final (hopefully) time and work toward trying to fire it up.

No pictures, but maybe in the next week or so I will have some of the newly painted motor to post.

Don

I've been zipping right along with progress (NOT REALLY:rolleyes:) but I have gotten a few things done. I finally got the entire engine scuffed and bought some more white Imron so I can repaint it. My plan all week was to do that this afternoon, but it rained hard and long, so I have scrubbed those plans until maybe Sunday after work. But at least it is all masked, wiped down, and ready to shoot.

I also picked up the front and rear motor mounts from the powder coater today. I had those done in gloss black to contrast with the satin frame a little. He did a nice job and actually got them done in a week this time. :) I'll be glad when I can drop this motor into the frame for hopefully the last time....that will be a major step.

I also had Ross Racing out of Ohio machine me up a water pump pulley for the Olds engine. My crank pulley is modifed and I needed a special water pump pulley to mate up with it. They did a nice job on it.

Don

Latest posts

Back