Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Pops. I think when all the stuff is bolted on it will look better than it does now, kinda hard to get the final look just in pieces like it sits now.

Don

Tonight I disassembled the rear end and got all the rear suspension parts ready to take to the powder coater tomorrow. I thought all I was going to have to do to the center section of the 8 inch Ford rear was a reseal job but when I got it out there were several chipped teeth on the ring gear. So I will have to put new gears in it, but at least I can now put in any ratio I want. Since the Olds engine is a low rpm motor but with lots of torque, I think I will go with something around 3:55's. With my 30 inch rear tires that should give me good cruising rpms and some dig off the line.

It will be interesting to see how fast he gets the parts done this time. :rolleyes:

Don

Thanks 1952. DR, haha, me too. He seems to have a problem with colors. :D A few months ago I took the rear adjustable receiver hitch off of my Sons pickup to him for recoating, it was bright red so no one would walk into it or hit it in traffic. When I picked it up he proudly showed me how nice it came out......... IN BLACK !! :eek: And he even helped me pick out the right red from his color chart before he took it in. He had to recoat that one too.

Before I leave his place today I am going to say the words "OFF WHITE" lots of times so it gets inbedded in his memory. At least I only have white parts to do today, no black, so that should simplify things for him.

Don

While I am waiting for the rear end parts to come back from the powder coater I decided to finish up the front end. I got the front brakes and shocks done, so all I have left to do in the front is the stabilizer.

I couldn't wait to get the tires and wheels on and drop it down on the ground. When the Olds is in there and the body is on it should drop down another couple of inches or so.

Don

Thanks, O5. I was supposed to pickup my powder coated rear end parts today but (surprise surprise) he said pick them up Friday. Not holding my breath on that one either. :rolleyes:

But I can start working on the motor to paint it again. I painted it about 7 years ago and the paint has gotten scratched a little. That will keep me busy for a while.

Don

Thanks, David. :) I stopped by the PC shop today because I needed to know how much cash to get out of the bank. He won't have a figure for me till tomorrow, and says my Son can pick the parts up in the PM (I'm working tomorrow). But I saw my parts in the sandblast area so it looks like they will be done.

BTW, I had a Craftsman 1/2 inch rachet that I have had for years and it began to slip into neutral when using it, so I stopped by Sears today to exchange it. Guy says they don't carry that same one any more and they had to give me one of those clunky ones with the plastic lever on it. :mad: I went over to buy a better rachet but all they have on the shelf are cheap ones these days.

So, I will either go to Lowes and get a Kobalt or maybe even spring for a SnapOn because I use the 1/2 inch rachet a lot and hate the cheap ones Sears is carrying now. I don't know how they stay in business, I never even go in there any more and the place was empty. I really miss the old Sears Roebuck of my youth. :(

Don

Today my rear end pieces were finally done at the powder coater but I had to work, so my Son picked them up for me. I dropped off 9 pieces and when he got there they could only find 8 pieces ! They dug around and finally found the 9th piece, one of the rear rod ends, and will have that done for me to pick up tomorrow morning before I go to work.

It all came out pretty nice, I am happy with it all, and I am glad I didn't decide to paint the frame and suspension because I would still be doing it. Here are the pieces I got back:

The other night I cleaned up the Olds engine that I had painted maybe 7 years ago and it actually looks pretty good, but I am going to scuff and paint it one more time because the rest of the car looks so fresh that it would be a shame to not do the motor and trans one more time.

Now I can start to assemble the rear end and get this thing up on wheels.

Don

New guy here. I just started reading from the beginning. Old tired eyes get blurry reading too much. But anyhow just wanted to say Hi to you and everyone else. The project is looking very good indeed.

On the other side of my mind I have been gathering parts for a build of my own. Not happening as quick as I hoped. For one retirement checks don't go as far as I would like them to. But then my next problem of sorts I found my donor motor and transmission real cheap. They are all wrapped inside of an old Chevrolet motor home. I guess I'll get into more of a discussion about all that another day and time. I get side tracked so easily.

I just wanted to congratulate you on what you have done with your project.

Welcome to RRR and thank you. :) Motor home engines can be a great deal because they don't have many miles on them and those are generally highway miles. Good luck with the project.

Don

Don,

Have you ever run an engine that was painted white before?
I'm just wondering if it would discolor rapidly.
It will most definitely look sharp with the color scheme you've got going.

Watching with great interest.

Quote "The other night I cleaned up the Olds engine that I had painted maybe 7 years ago and it actually looks pretty good, but I am going to scuff and paint it one more time because the rest of the car looks so fresh that it would be a shame to not do the motor and trans one more time."

Seriously DON ??? :D Isn't this actually a symptom of some sort of disorder ? :D:D:D

The rear parts look great just like the front parts did!
I'm curious, I've heard others talk about how to touch up powdercoat if it were to chip and I'm curious what you do in that case? I have a couple powdercoated pieces as well...

I can't wait to see your ride back together!

Latest posts

Back