Roadster pickup from leftovers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

Have you ever run an engine that was painted white before?
I'm just wondering if it would discolor rapidly.
It will most definitely look sharp with the color scheme you've got going.

Watching with great interest.

I think it will discolor around the exhaust ports, Oldmobiles always do because those ports aren't water cooled like a sbc is, but since the engine is Imron it should hold up well otherwise. We have painted 3 engines with Imron so far, one black, one gold, and one light blue, and all have been easy to keep clean and haven't dulled at all. My 27 has been painted for 5 years and still looks pretty good. BUT, I am sure the white will be tough to keep clean ! :eek:

Earthman, yep, I am in rehab for it but so far I keep backsliding. :)

DirtyRat, I don't know about touching it up. We have had a lot of stuff powder coated on our other cars and so far no nicks. My 27 suspension is all powder coat and even after driving it for 5 years I haven't seen any areas that need any touch up. Since it is a plastic coating it is pretty tough.

Don

I haven't had to touch up my powder coated wheels, but I do know they're super easy to keep clean and hold up great!

Your suspension and that motor look awesome!! My Buick 455 has a very similar exhaust design on the head and the paint just burns off around the exhaust ports.

Thanks. :) Yep, my Son's 455 Olds has the same burning of the exhaust ports, but I like it because is shows the car is used, not just trailered.

The wheels on my 27 are also powder coated, as is all the rest of the suspension, and it just wipes down really easily. I think the the white might take a LITTLE more wiping though ! :eek:

Don

Tonight I loosely installed the rear end assembly. I still have to pick up some 9/16 grade 8 bolts to finish it off ( I ran out) and I dialed in the pinion angle "somewhat close" to 3 degrees, but will adjust that more closely when all the weight is on the car.

It should settle down about 3 -4 inches when the Olds engine, transmission, body, and bed are sitting on the frame, then the rear control arms will be level to the ground. With the coil overs I can adjust the height to get the exact rake I want.

So, here are some pictures from tonight.

Don

Thanks, I can't wait either. :) There are still quite a few things I have to do to the rear end before I can put the tires on. Have to rebuild the center section, replace the axle bearings, and rebuild the entire rear brake setup. All that is going to take a little time (and money :()

I have a couple of more parts to be powder coated, like the engine and transmission mounts, so I am going to try the other powder coating guy in town. The one I have always used does a nice job and all, but his slowness is starting to get to me a little. I want to see if the other guy is better in that regard.

Don

I'm pretty patient however, your guy is not only slow but, very disrespectful to your time.
Since he has a rough time remembering color choice, indicates he doesn't listen very well either.
I hope for your sake the new PC is better with time management, along with the quality.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered by his slowness, he has always been that way and we kind of chuckle when he says "I'll have it done by Friday." :rolleyes: But lately he has been getting slower and then there was the color thing and the final straw was the one part they misplaced (but luckily found). I like him as a person, but not as a businessman.

We'll see how the new guy is, but I understand that all powder coaters are a little slow.

Don

No matter how you slice it, you sometimes can't get away from spending money when building a car. I am getting ready to freshen up the 8 inch rear end I am using (65 Ranchero) and need to buy all the parts. Not including the center section (where I will have to order gears and a rebuild kit) I also am going to replace the axle bearings and seals, and do a complete brake job.

Today I called NAPA for the seals and bearings and they come to $ 126 :eek:, then I have to start getting the parts from Summit for the center section. I figure about $ 200 for gears and $100 for the rebuild kit. That only leaves brakes. For that I need everything, including new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and all the hardware.

It just surprises me how much little stuff adds up. :eek:

Don

I would take the part numbers and google them. You can probably find the exact same part cheaper from another supplier then napa.

One example of this, a friend had a newer Honda civic. The parts stores wanted almost $100 for the cabin filter. She ended up finding it (same exact filter) online for $27.

Yeah, I buy from Rock Auto all the time for that reason. I saved a couple hundred bucks on the parts I bought for my Caddy. But I wanted to get these local because I am not 100% sure if these parts will fit. I got the rear free from a member on another forum and he said it was from a 65 Ranchero, but I have no way to confirm that and the tag was gone. So I kinda shot in the dark and if the parts are not the right ones I won't have to ship them way back to Rock Auto.

But good idea though.

Don

Yeah, I buy from Rock Auto all the time for that reason. I saved a couple hundred bucks on the parts I bought for my Caddy. But I wanted to get these local because I am not 100% sure if these parts will fit. I got the rear free from a member on another forum and he said it was from a 65 Ranchero, but I have no way to confirm that and the tag was gone. So I kinda shot in the dark and if the parts are not the right ones I won't have to ship them way back to Rock Auto.

But good idea though.

Don

At least if they do fit, Napa makes good brake parts, so they should last you well. I hear you on the cost though, things like that definitely add up.

Donsrods, I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm getting all the brake parts for an unknown vintage 8" Ford rear-end from Napa. After quite a few trips to town to return stuff I've got it nailed down to a 1980 Granada rear-end in mine.
Watching your project come together has inspired me in many ways.
Keep up the good work.

I picked up my bearings and seals today, this coming week I will press the old ones off and press the new ones on. Still have to figure out what to do on the center section.

I know what you mean about the receipts adding up. Years ago, when I was married, I would pull the checks I had written out of the monthly bank statement before my Wife got home. One day she beat me home and said "exactly how much money are you spending on this car ? :eek::eek:" Dinner was a little quiet that night !

Now that I am single my cats don't care how much money I spend on it, just so their dish is kept full. :D:D

Don

Latest posts

Back