F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, right now the horizontal trees are all over this area. There were chainsaws and chippers everywhere going all day long. This storm probably doubled Mexico's GNP.

"Fir yew, I'd pine and balsam"

When I built my place I planted 1,200 trees and bushes. That way they can lean on each other during high winds. I too, hate to see a beautiful specimen like that tip over.

Ya know, it was your frame that got me excited to build a tube frame for my Fiat.

Am really looking forward to some video of yours and you assessment of ride quality.

My kids have a video cam I'll see if I can get the son-in-law to shoot and post it next week.

Ride quality? That's a concept I haven't even thought about. So far I have just been trying to make sure it isn't bottoming out or high centering on all the speed bumps around here.

It does seem pretty well planted: stays flat in the corner, flat and straight when I punch the throttle and it doesn't wonder when goiing straight. It doesn't float like an old Caddy. Haven't seen any unexpected bumps or pot holes yet. But then, with only 4 miles on it, I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I'll keep working on that concept.

I haven't done anything to it for a couple weeks. I have been trying to get the VDO speedometer working, but no luck. I'm guessing it is a bad speedo. i have another one and I'll swap it out when I get a chance.

I did get it out on the freeway today. It stays right at 180 degrees with the Flex-a-lit fan. Seems to stay on the ground and goes straight. All in all, it's not a bad ride. I think it actually rides better than the Mustang did.

Loud!

i still can't figure out the Ford 302. It is supposed to be an '84 stocker with 80,000 miles, although now it has an Edelbrock carb instead of the Autolite smogger and nearly open headers. A couple times I ran it up to 6,500 RPM without even realizing it was reving that high. It was pulling hard all the way and no valve float.

Very Quick and fun.

84's were still carbed. Wasn't until 85 that the mustang went to EFI. Many people hated the 85 due to the fact that it felt way slower than the 84.

Well, it's fun to drive, but killer loud. My next mision is to quiet it down. I bought a sound level meter and it's showing 101 db inside at idle; sitting still. I probably need to get it closer to 90 db.

I'm thinikng about Super Traps. Anyone know if that's the answer? Or have any other ideas?

The photos show what I have now.

Attachments

• 3 engine.jpg
    3 engine.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 6 baffle.jpg
    6 baffle.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 7 baffle wrapped.jpg
    7 baffle wrapped.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 49
We couldn't meet track sound levels requirements for places like Leguna Seca with just Super Trapps. Don't remember but that was something like 90 or 100 dB at 30 feet distance on the straights.

Had to use them in conjunction with shorty mufflers. You can see the setup at the back of the car in the photo. Don't see how that would work on yours, and know you don't have room under floor to run exhaust.

That was on 3.2 liter six cylinder (5k-7k rpm).

Part of problem is where yours dump, right at front of door. Don't have a suggestion on what to do about that either. anything I can think of wouldn't look as good as what you have. Noise cancelling earmuffs?

Attachments

• Porsche 914 Race Car 19980002.jpg
    Porsche 914 Race Car 19980002.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 30
One of my students builds LS 1 powered buggys -rear engine with no room for exhaust. I asked him what they do for mufflers - he had the same answer - noise cancelling earmuffs.

Some how to COOL is lost when you have to wear earmuffs.

Do you think the Super Trapps with the baffles would work?

It looks to me if your going to preserve the shape and appearance of the pipes the only option is to continue experimenting with baffles. Only allowing the exhaust to exit into the inside of the small baffle pipe seems like a place to start. Where have you driven it so far?

I've found something as simple as kickouts makes a really big difference.

Just direct the noise away from the cab.

PA41

Geoff's Studebaker had the same set up and the noise didn't seem that bad. Wonder what kind of baffles he had?

The Super Trapps I'm familiar with are larger diameter than the ends of your tubes but they might have different diameters. As I remember (this was in the 90's) the more discs you stack the quieter the exhaust.

Didn't seem like they were all that expensive then. Might be worth the experiment.

It looks to me if your going to preserve the shape and appearance of the pipes the only option is to continue experimenting with baffles. Only allowing the exhaust to exit into the inside of the small baffle pipe seems like a place to start. Where have you driven it so far?

Earthman,

I have just taken it up and down the 101 to Ray and back and around the 4 mile test circuit (Elliot, Dobson, Warner, Price, Elliot).

Yeah, I think that experimenting with the baffles is the correct solution and cheapest. I guess I was looking for an easy way out -which doesn't really exist in this case.

I do have a kick out directed away from the cab but it could be more efficient - it is 2" and only on the baffle not the whole megaphone.

Geoff's Studebaker had the same set up and the noise didn't seem that bad. Wonder what kind of baffles he had?

The Super Trapps I'm familiar with are larger diameter than the ends of your tubes but they might have different diameters. As I remember (this was in the 90's) the more discs you stack the quieter the exhaust.

Didn't seem like they were all that expensive then. Might be worth the experiment.

K, they do have different sizes, but I can't remember hearing any that i liked the sound of. Problem is, there are a lot of choices and I'm not sure which,, if any I want or if any will really work.

read thru this nice build. Very cool. Now what is/ was the deal with the vin and getting tags?

[cl

I know supertraps were all the rage in the 80's and 90's but I was never a fan of them. Ugly for one an they always had a weird flat tone to them. Maybe try sliding a spiral header baffle up into the pipe to reduce noise? having the pipe next to your ear is always loud though. I have driven cobras, vettes w/side pipe and jeeps with fender wells and they were all loud in the ear.

read thru this nice build. Very cool. Now what is/ was the deal with the vin and getting tags?

[cl
The only VIN on the truck was the glove compartment door (which I had obviously removed and painted). I didn't think they would count that as a valid VIN and they would do a level 3 inspection requiring the 16 safety items ( windshield wipers, reflectors, E Brake, etc). Instead, the MVD inspector did a level 1 (just varifying the VIN).

I didn't have a title, but I did have a Bill of Sale. When I presented the BoS to MVD, they wanted a statement from the crackhead who dragged the truck out of the river that said he was not interested in obtaining a title. I didn't know where to find him and I didn't want to give him the chance to claim it, in the event I stumbled on him.

I found out that all I had to do was apply for the title without giving them the BoS. MVD made me post a bond and gave me the title with the original VIN. Easy, if you know the rules, however, each MVD person provided different and conflicting information, it was very frustrating.

Latest posts

Back