F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA - I'm teaching blacksmithing in a community college welding department.
I took photosto class the other night and found several motor heads. It was interesting.

I solved the carb problem - bought an Edelbrock 500 CFM. Had to run a new wire for the choke and change the fuel line - but no big thing. The new carb seems to run the same or maybe a little better than the old Autolite smog carb.

Next problem: Serious overheating. The coolant level was low, but then I noticed that the upper radiator hose goes up and over the alternator and is above the radiator cap. There's no way to get coolant into that hose and get the air out. (I can't understand why I never saw this problem in the last 12 -14 months it has been the same way.)

The solution is coming from Speedway - an Inline Fill Adapter for the offending hose. It shouuld show up Wednesday or Thursday. Then, on to the next prblem - whatever that is.

A/C is 240. Today it might get it cooled down to around 108 deg F. if everything is working well. Two open windows and 40 miles an hour.

Chaz,

I imagine it will be a while before I venture that far. You're more than welcome to come by.

Sounds great. After I get my welding table finished (just got some shelves up in the garage & reclaimed some of my floor space so I can work on it), I'll have to take some of my 'project time' to come bug you for inspiration!

-Chaz

Overheating

I have been driving it a little, but it's plagued with over heating problems. I put a bleed valve in the upper radiator hose -the highest point in the system and I think I have all the air out.

I just figured that the fan is turning in the wrong direction - the air is blowing toward the front. When I changed the water pump to a standard rotation instead of reverse, I never thought about changing the fan. Duh... of course, all of you guys were amazingly silent about this concept, too.

Any how, I could go to pick-a-part and look for a fan or build a shroud and install an electric. I think I'll probably go with the electric. Any recommendations, especially about the controller?

The new Edelbrock carb is pretty well hidden by the air cleaner. It seems to work well with only idle and choke adjustments.

Attachments

• DSC01981.jpg
    DSC01981.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01983.jpg
    DSC01983.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 43
I wouldn't think that at low speed it would make much difference which way the air flows thru the radiator? Does the coolant boil out or just the gauge indication? Just bought a Beijing blue light special elec fan on ebay for $24 shipped.

Grab one fan off of a 2005 up silverado. they have an excellent CFM out put and one should cover well on a smaller radiator. Get a moroso fan switch ($18) they come in all kinds of on/off combos ie: 175 , 160, 185, 195 etc. all they are is the ground side for a relay. hits the temp and closes turning the fan on.

Being a clutch fan, it may not like being turned in reverse.LOL

Oh yeah, the clutch is going in reverse, too. Duh again.

I'm researching electric fan options, but i can't figure out the CFM I need, yet. The radiator is 14 high x 21 long which makes it difficult to get the 70% coverage that is recommended.

Earthman, It does fine just sitting and idling, but when it's cruising at 25 - 40 mph it starts overheating. At this point, it could still be air in the cooling system. Either way, I have to get the air flow going the correct direction even if it's just of peace of mind.

By the way, I used those Gates shrink sleaves instead of clamps on the bleeder tube. One blew off about 1/2 a mile from home and dumped all the coolant. I'm definitely not impressed with those - even if they do look cool.

Did you change the timing cover when you switched rotation on the water pump? Part of the transition or curve in flow from the pump occurs in the timing cover on a 302, so the timing cover is directional as well. Put the wrong direction pump on the opposite cover and you get a major restriction. Although, I'm not sure the pump will bolt up to the wrong cover anyway, so you may be ok.

Did you change the timing cover when you switched rotation on the water pump? Part of the transition or curve in flow from the pump occurs in the timing cover on a 302, so the timing cover is directional as well. Put the wrong direction pump on the opposite cover and you get a major restriction. Although, I'm not sure the pump will bolt up to the wrong cover anyway, so you may be ok.

I didn't change the timing cover - this is the first time I have heard anything about it being directional. The new water pump bolted right on the old cover. When I talked to the tech guy at March (where I got the alternator bracket and pulley) he didn't say anything about changing the timing cover - just told me which water pump to get. Another interesting problem.

Admit it, you thrive on problems. A day without a problem to solve is like a day without sunshine.

Uh,...I guess that maybe we have been getting a few too many days of sunshine lately as well.

Admit it, you thrive on problems. A day without a problem to solve is like a day without sunshine.

Uh,...I guess that maybe we have been getting a few too many days of sunshine lately as well.

That's part of my attitude problem - too much sun. If we could lose about 10 degrees and get down around 95 it would be a lot easier to work on.

But you're right, I actually had fun figuring out the solution yesterday (on the computor where it was cool) until the timing cover thing came up - I think I'm going to ignore that for now.

Flex-A-lite makes a 16", 2500 cfm curved blade electric fan $123 at Summit. I'm going to build an aluminum shroud that will cover the whole radiator and clean up the back side of the grill/radiator housing. I'm trying to decide whether to get the variable speed controller or just a temperature sensor.

i still need to do a little work on the shifter, but I found a perfect shifter boot at Pep Boys yesterday. I just have to make a new mounting plate to make it work.

Maybe it will be on the road next weekend?

I found this clock at a swap meet Sunday. The guy said it was from a '50 Ford - doesn't matter what it fits, I thought it was way cool. I figured I already had a clock but someday I might get around to changing it.

When I got back from the swap meet the clock in the dash looked like photo 2instead of photo 3, which was how it looked when I left.. So now I have another project.

I like what ya did to the dash. Very smooth looking!

Flipper, I've been thinking that for quite a while. Fords are different.

Tubular Fab,

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of the timing cover being directional. I found this site and discussion:

http://http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=13237&highlight=302+timing+cover

Basically, they say the timing covers work with any pump that bolts up. Even though they're different, they're not directional. At any rate, mine seems to be flowing OK, but I'll keep the timing cover issue in mind if the fan fix doesn't solve the problem.

Latest posts

Back