F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure looks different since I was there in April. Looks good my friend.

Where can I get one of those blacksmith work tables like you've got? I was really impressed by that.:cool:

Mike

Nice! [dr The dashboard came out perfect.

Any progress on getting this work of art titled and legal?

The progress I made was to find out that I screwed up when I first got the '48 and before I took it apart. I should have taken it to MVD and had them varify the VIN. Now if they do a level I inspection, I can only get a salvage title - which I don't want.

So the answer is that when it is done and has wipers, horn, windshield, high and low beam headlights, hi beam indicator, tailights, reflectors, mirror, 2 methods of applying brakes, etc ...there are 16 safety items required ...I can take it to MVD for a level II or III inspection and they will issue a VIN and call it something like a 2010, 1948 Ford Pick-up.

Hope you have a title for the Dodge.

Sure looks different since I was there in April. Looks good my friend.

Where can I get one of those blacksmith work tables like you've got? I was really impressed by that.:cool:

Mike

Thanks, I think when you were here I was just starting the wiring. So I guess it does look a little different.

The tables are called platens and the 2 major brands are Weldsale and Acorn. There are probably a few in your area or at least in the Seattle area. I notified a couple used machinery dealers that I was looking for one and ended up with 8 or 9 of them. Sold some and still have 4. They usually come out of Fab/welding shops.

The progress I made was to find out that I screwed up when I first got the '48 and before I took it apart. I should have taken it to MVD and had them varify the VIN. Now if they do a level I inspection, I can only get a salvage title - which I don't want.

So the answer is that when it is done and has wipers, horn, windshield, high and low beam headlights, hi beam indicator, tailights, reflectors, mirror, 2 methods of applying brakes, etc ...there are 16 safety items required ...I can take it to MVD for a level II or III inspection and they will issue a VIN and call it something like a 2010, 1948 Ford Pick-up.

Hope you have a title for the Dodge.

What a pain in the neck! :( :(

Yes sir! My Dodge has a clean AZ title! :D :D

It has been a while since I posted anything. Most of what I have been doing doesn't show very well.

I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to put an air filter inside the air cleaner. I spent a lot of time at AZone with a tape measure and guys running over to make sure I wasn't messing up the part number organization. Finally it's finished and I'm happy with it. I painted the part you see in photo 1 orange to match the dash and while I was at it I painted the dip stick the same color.

You can just see a little orange through the tubes in photo 4.

I got the windshield and rear glass installed. Sorry Curt, no side windows or AC.

I'm working on the coolant overflow tank. It's huge, but it fills in the big hole.
the other side has the alternator and horn. The dirver's side looked pretty empty.

Attachments

• 2 air cleaner.jpg
    2 air cleaner.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 3 engine.jpg
    3 engine.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 4 engine lower view.jpg
    4 engine lower view.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1 air cleaner guts.jpg
    1 air cleaner guts.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 61
Bed

I finished the bed floor, tailgate and roll pan - notice there's no plate. I'm going to keep ignoring the VIN problem until it cools off a little. Can't see it in these pics, but the ragtop is on.

The doors are still off because it's easier to work on the interior stuff without the doors in the way. Still need the cup holder and stash bin that go in the tunnel. The interior light(s) needs to get mounted and there is a little more wiring. And then there is the grille- which I seem to be ignoring.

When I look at the last photo I think the nerf bars should be black instead of gray.

Other than that it's pretty much done. Or not.

Attachments

• 5 bed.jpg
    5 bed.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 6 bed 2.jpg
    6 bed 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 7 rear.jpg
    7 rear.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 72
I have actually had some work the last couple days and tomorrow. Standing in front of a 2000 degree forge when the outside temp is pushing 110 sure gets rid of the arthritis. Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to roll it out where I can get some better photos.

Actually, the air cleaner looks a little better than the photo. I riveted a plate on the rear to cover the hole. It looked pretty good so I added one to the front. The screw hole in the photo was in the wrong location any way.

The car looks great! I hope the titling process goes smoothly.

I love the air cleaner. I was going to do something similar for my engine, except I wanted to have the velocity stacks go up.

Dan i thought the guys would like to see this rather famous painting of you working at your forge. This was done a few years back if anyone was wondering.

411px-Goya_Forge.jpg

Yeah, that was a few years ago, now my pants are shorter and my hair is gray. Oh, and instead of those helpers I have power hammers and a hydraulic press.

Thanks Motorhead. I got that air cleaner at Good Guys this year. I'd never have dreamed it up, but when I saw it, I thought it would be a great solution without creating a huge blind spot in the middle of the windshield.

There are 16 safety items I'll need for the VIN - I think I'm good with that. Other than that, I think it depends on the inspector as to how smoothly it goes. I'm going to wait until it cools off a little so he isn't irratated about having to look at it when it's 130 degrees in the middle of the parking lot.

Almost There

Haven't posted anything in a while, but I have been working on stuff. Here's some pics of it's trip down the driveway today.

Attachments

• 5 rear.jpg
    5 rear.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 6 door.jpg
    6 door.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4 rear quarter.jpg
    4 rear quarter.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3 side.jpg
    3 side.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 2 fr quarter.jpg
    2 fr quarter.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 1 front.jpg
    1 front.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 99
Interior

I finished the cup holder and the consol compartment.

The last 2 pics are the tray for the compartment. I had some trunk carpet left from the '53 and lined the inside.

Attachments

• 7 interior1.jpg
    7 interior1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 8interior2.jpg
    8interior2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 9 cup holder.jpg
    9 cup holder.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 10 compartment.jpg
    10 compartment.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 11 open.jpg
    11 open.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 112 tray1.jpg
    112 tray1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 113tray2.jpg
    113tray2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 69
Clock

I found this clock at a swap meet Sunday. The guy said it was from a '50 Ford - doesn't matter what it fits, I thought it was way cool. I figured I already had a clock but someday I might get around to changing it.

When I got back from the swap meet the clock in the dash looked like photo 2instead of photo 3, which was how it looked when I left.. So now I have another project.

Attachments

• 13 clock.jpg
    13 clock.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 14 hole.jpg
    14 hole.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 141clock.jpg
    141clock.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 58
[cl Congratulations!

Like the door art, that's from some time in the 60's, 68, 69? Seems like we had something that was a takeoff from that when we were hauling 500 pounders from the revetments to the flight line at Clark AFB in 69-70.

Haven't seen it since you hung the doors, but the pictures don't do it justice.

Just put the doors on today. So, no one has seen it 'xept me and anyone looking out thier window to see what all the noise was when I putt-putted down the street.

The Keep on Truckin' guy was on my Chevy Van in '69. On the F-2 I changed it a bit -on both sides he's going forward - no sense Truckin backward. I also gave him a T- shirt and glasses. Not sure when Robert Crumb first drew him -sometime in '66-69?

Latest posts

Back