F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work! Is the rag top motorized? Also, what is the gas tank from? Where did you get the filler cap for it? It looks sweet! :)

I put in a couple of hours this morning also, but it pretty much became hell after 9:30-10.

It's a manual top. So far, it doesn't slide very easily. Nor does the latch - latch - yet.

Thanks, I machined and forged the gas cap from copper and stainless steel. Sort of a miniature Halibrand. I built and rebuilt the gas tank. It has a few dents and dings and looks like it came from something familiar - just can't figure out what.

Definitely is hot today!

DJ that is one fine piece of engineering!! Been followingalong for a while now and am impressed with your work.. Keep it up you are doing an awesome job!!!!

Truckster, mentioned that I might have been on it a little much for that residential street. What is it about a vehicle like this that turns a fairly responsible adult into a stupid 16 year old? The more I thought about it the dumber I felt-feel. Anyhow, won't be doing that any more - I'll have to go to someone else's street.

When we first got my truck running (before the speedo was hooked up), dad made a couple of high speed passes through his neighborhood (nice subdivision with 4 acre lots and big houses). He said he probably got it up to 85.

After we hooked up the speedo, he found out how slow 85 was. He probably got it up well over 100.

Cops patrolled the area for two weeks after that day. :eek:

He was in his late 60's at the time and hasn't had a speeding ticket in probably 30 years.

Oh yeah, I like the sliding rag top. I had one of those in a 79 Camaro back in the mid-90's.

Thinking about doing a custom VW bug that will have a sliding roof from the windshield to past the rear window (window in the top).

The biggest hang up is trying to figure out how to make the sliding bows beefy enough to still provide a little structural support to the car (unlike store bought ragtops).

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here's a couple pic of the door latches. They still need a little cosmetic work, but you can see the idea.

Attachments

• 1 latch.jpg
    1 latch.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 2 latch.jpg
    2 latch.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 68
Dash

I decided on the dash layout. I turned bezels for the tach and speedo out of the heavy wall tube that I used to wrap the 18 ga around.

I used a smaller piece of solid stock to get the finished size of the bezel and used the band clamps to hold it in place while I tacked it.

The tach will go in the bezel at the top of the dash. The speaker hole below will get filled in and the speedo will go directly below the tach.

Monday I'll pull the cab off and do the work on the dash.

Attachments

• 4 tube.jpg
    4 tube.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 3 bezel.jpg
    3 bezel.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 7 bezel and can.jpg
    7 bezel and can.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 5 front dash.jpg
    5 front dash.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 6 side dash.jpg
    6 side dash.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 57
The only sound sytem this is going to have (besides the exhaust and road noise) is an Ipod - too much noise to hear a stereo. With the ragtop and no side windows an airvent won't be of much use. So, the center of the dash will just be the speedometer.

I was going to make a cover for the center opening so I would have access to everything behind the dash, but I didn't like the way the bolt on cover looked. I'm going to weld it closed, fill the holes and cut in the hole for the speedo.

I have been using PickelX20 to convert the rust. Bought it a year and a half ago for around $20 for a pint. Bought some more today $41 a pint. Talk about sticker shock. I decided to keep going the way I was and just suck it up and pay the price.

I looked for the Ospho guys said was available at Ace. None of the Aces in my area carry it. This is Arizona, I gues they think we don't have a rust problem here.

I did find Rust Mort but it wasn't much cheaper than the PickelX 20.

Just been finishing up the dash and some details on the body.

I'm also working on the wipers. I'm trying to adapt the Mustang wiper motor and arms. I think I have it figured out - or I have cut all the links and arms into small pieces and scrapped out the motor so they'll all fit in the trash.

I'll have photos this weekend.

Dash

Here's some photos of the dash. The dash and pedals will be orange + maybe the spindles and calipers. By the way, it's not even close the Chevrolet Orange.

I have some more work to do on the roof - not happy with the way the sliding ragtop fits.

Attachments

• 1 dash.jpg
    1 dash.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 77
  • 2 paint.jpg
    2 paint.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 3 pedals.jpg
    3 pedals.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 4 cab.jpg
    4 cab.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Wipers

Assets - driver side wiper mount + Mustang stuff + Swap meet Newport Engineering motor.

I have modified one of the Mustang arms - shortened and created the angle.

Decided to use the Newport motor - it's smaller. Want to use the Mustang arms but the spline is 5/8 and the Ford is 1/2.

Here's where I am now - Mustang mount and arms. The other side is plastic so I think I'll have to make a new one out of steel, but use the splined shaft.

I miss having a clock in the '53 and there is a hole next to the glove compartment that needs to get filled. I got this clock at Ikea for $1. Looks like there will be a way to make it work.

Attachments

• 5 wiper assets.jpg
    5 wiper assets.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 6 current.jpg
    6 current.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 45
  • 7 clock.jpg
    7 clock.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 8 clock 2.jpg
    8 clock 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 42
Yeah, it's really irratating to even be considering wipers (don't plan on side windows). However, to get it titled, the law says if you have a windshiled you need wipers. So after I get the title, the arms will come off.

If I could get the abandoned vehicle title it wouldn't get inspected and wouldn't need the wipers. That's not looking probable considering the VIN plate is no longer attached to anything.

every time I revisit this thread I find another area that will be hidden but still has some sexy tube bends in it! I like the orange as well. it would be set off by some dark grey here and there

Latest posts

Back