F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave you grief about painting it....oh jeez :rolleyes: That plastic steering wheel needs to go though. :D
The proportions with the cab on are spot on
402471.gif

man it looks great... im tempted to run mine raw still too... You ever tried that low temp body solder? Im thinking about giving that a shot to cover up some of the more unsightly areas on my cab..

There's so much substance going on with this ride, paint is just kinda insignificant, and might detract from the real deal.. Especially if its flashy. Maybe something simple like battleship gray if ya just gotta? Theres something in the 'rat mission statement' about the vehicles being more than just something to hold a paint job.

I'm with Truckster, I'd love to see this on a road course mixing it up with Mustangs. If anything like that ever happens, get us a little film clip, if nothing else, at least show us you terrorizing your neighbors..:) A 4 wheel drift--2 blocks over..

PA41

st gotta?

I'm with Truckster, I'd love to see this on a road course mixing it up with Mustangs. If anything like that ever happens, get us a little film clip, if nothing else, at least show us you terrorizing your neighbors..:) A 4 wheel drift--2 blocks over..

PA41

Ha! Gonna have to be going pretty dang fast to get this go-kart to drift! :D

man it looks great... im tempted to run mine raw still too... You ever tried that low temp body solder? Im thinking about giving that a shot to cover up some of the more unsightly areas on my cab..

Corpo, I've got some body lead and flux is that the same stuff? It might be worth a try.

Ok, Earthman not grief, just a few subtle groans. Yeah that highway would definitely give it a workout. Only problem is, if you miss the turn you die - it's at least 100' to the bottom. Wanna sign up for that ride?

There's so much substance going on with this ride, paint is just kinda insignificant, and might detract from the real deal.. Especially if its flashy. Maybe something simple like battleship gray if ya just gotta? Theres something in the 'rat mission statement' about the vehicles being more than just something to hold a paint job.

PA41

Quite a while ago, I decided the best paint job I can do is not quite as good as Earl Schieb. So you're probably right it would detract, certainly it wouldn't add much. The whole problem is that last 10% - I can't ever get it. I should quit worrying about - right?

Ok, Earthman not grief, just a few subtle groans. Yeah that highway would definitely give it a workout. Only problem is, if you miss the turn you die - it's at least 100' to the bottom. Wanna sign up for that ride?

There are also way too many bikes on that road. It's crazy, for every car, there are at least 5 bikes. There's a spot on that road, a few miles before you get to the restaurant, with a bunch of cars down the canyon, crushed like soda cans. I have even seen a few old cars down there. Last time I was there, I was wearing flip flops, otherwise I'd go down and take a look.

Did you know they close the bar at Tortilla Flats down at like 5 pm? Too many drunken morons went down the canyon.

Already been around one of those curves on the bike off the outside edge of the pavement all the way around.
I'll take that ride with you Dan :D

I had an XK140 when I was a kid that ended up pointing out over the edge when I hit some loose gravel in a corner. I might not be volunteering for that ride for a while. On the other hand, we could drive like the 60+ year olds we are instead of stupid 16 year olds. Might be OK.

Curt how did you license the roadster? Or have you yet?
I have been working on the abandonded vehicle title and I think I've run into a dead end. I have a box of reciepts so I guess I can get it inspected and license it as a 2010 1948 Ford F2. I think I'll need the windshield and wipers and I'll be legal.

Next Time I'll get the inspection before I tear it apart (and cut out the firewall with the VIN tag on it).

Steering wheel

Gave you grief about painting it....oh jeez :rolleyes: That plastic steering wheel needs to go though. :D
The proportions with the cab on are spot on
402471.gif

Guys:

I'm back from the sabatical on the house remodel/renovation.

IMHO that plastic Cougar steering wheel gives it some provenance to the heritage & history of the original Mercstang.
Anyone can buy a LeCarrera.

I haven't yet Dan. Waiting for a certain bolt that will enable me to hook it to a towbar. I don't think you want to try the abandoned title. I will just take mine to the insp station on Broadway where i took the Model A. (think Reno 911) Show them some receipts and ask to be assigned a vin. Title should be for whatever it most resembles. In your case a '48 Ford pickup. The worst that could happen is the dmv might want you to post a bond like they did me. They never safety inspected the Model A. They only wanted to see the original vin under the body on the frame only because it still had one. You for sure don't want to go cutting out vin numbers and reusing them though.(think Reno 911 again)

Thanks for the info Curt. I have talked to others who say the DMV assigned VIN was not problem - that may be my only choice, anyhow.

Guys, that's not a plastic steering wheel - its a pho leather steering wheel, complete with stitching, real leather like texture and a picture of a Cougar on the horn button.

Glad to have you back FGman.

I'm thinking 88 up to Tortilla Flats :D
Tortilla Flat (no 's')
http://www.tortillaflataz.com/

There are also way too many bikes on that road. It's crazy, for every car, there are at least 5 bikes. There's a spot on that road, a few miles before you get to the restaurant, with a bunch of cars down the canyon, crushed like soda cans. I have even seen a few old cars down there. Last time I was there, I was wearing flip flops, otherwise I'd go down and take a look.

Did you know they close the bar at Tortilla Flats down at like 5 pm? Too many drunken morons went down the canyon.

I rode out there with a friend of mine on last year's Million Mile Monday (H.O.G. attempt to have H.O.G. owners log over 1 million miles in 1 day...we got over 3 =D)
I was on my Ultra Classic & he was on a 650 sport bike. He couldn't keep up with me, it was humorous.
I wasn't really going that fast, never drug a foot board & I drag those on the way to work almost every morning.
If you look at a lot of the corners that are REALLY tight, there are gouges in them from peg/board dragging.

That's a great ride & a fun place to eat. I'd love to go all the way to the lake on a dual sport. Maybe make the whole loop.
-Chaz

I put the doors on today. The passenger side looked great. The gap was consistant all the way down.

The driver's side was another story. First there was interference at the bottom of the door and the belt line wouldn't line up. After a little (too much?) persuation the result is tight at the top and a 3/8 gap at the bottom.
Photos 2 and 3.

Didn't want to deal with the driver's side, so I worked on the window of the passenger side. I welded the extension on the front piece. Everything else is just sitting there.

Here's the bearclaw latches I liberated from a late '80's Volvo. cost $3.00 for the pair. I liked them because they unbolted from outside the door.

Attachments

• 1 pass.jpg
    1 pass.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 2 driver.jpg
    2 driver.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 3 driver.jpg
    3 driver.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 4 pass window.jpg
    4 pass window.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 5 bearclaw.jpg
    5 bearclaw.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
Woke up early today and headed out to the shop at 5:30. Got the passenger door tacked together and decided to work on the door latch.

After a little bucket time I decided to mount the latch on the jamb. If I decide to add a solenoid the wiring will be easier, plus its easier to hide a latch on the outside if I ever put in side windows.

I made a nut plate to mount the strike so I would be able to adjust it.

Attachments

• 1 tack welded the pieces together.jpg
    1 tack welded the pieces together.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2 latch.jpg
    2 latch.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 strike.jpg
    3 strike.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 4 both.jpg
    4 both.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 5 nut plate and strike.jpg
    5 nut plate and strike.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 57
I also decided to see what I would need to do to mount the slding ragtop.

It's going to take some work, mainly because I framed the opening with 3/4" box tube and it is designed to mount on sheetmetal. But i'm happy with how it's going to look.

Attachments

• 6 rag top.jpg
    6 rag top.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 58
  • 7 ragtop.jpg
    7 ragtop.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back