F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just went through every page of this build, and must say you did a heck of a job on it! the chassis is just bad a--! keep the pics and updates coming, me likey!!!!![dr

Thanks guys.

The next big project is to get it titled and licensed. I keep getting mixed information. MVD has a different answer depending on who I talk to and friends who have done it can't quite remember what they did.

Part of the reason for doing this project was to learn new things. Getting a title was one of those things. Anyhow, I'll let you all know how it goes.

This thing was buried in a river for years. The steering box was frozen and the bolts would not budge even with heat. I ended up torching off the steering column, pretty much rendering the box useless. I wanted to keep the front axle and brakes, but considering the condition they were in and the amount of effort it was going to take to get them servicable, I decided I didn't really need them. This was supposed to be a 3 month project and I didn't want to spend the entire 3 months salvaging stuff I didn't need.

I still have the shock mounts. Make me an offfer.

This was supposed to be a 3 month project ---

:) :) Yeah--I thought I'da been finished with mine by now too--and I was just reading Flippers thread where he did the same thing...

It reminds me of a far side cartoon showing a goofy lookin bunch of people with huge grins on their faces, standing in front of an old house with a sign saying--

"HOME FOR THE INCURABLY OPTIMISTIC"

We might all belong in a home like that.

Sweet project DJ-appreciate the show.

PA41

:) :) It reminds me of a far side cartoon showing a goofy lookin bunch of people with huge grins on their faces, standing in front of an old house with a sign saying--

"HOME FOR THE INCURABLY OPTIMISTIC"

PA41

I've been thinking that I CAN do the next one in 3 months. Is that a sign of being Incurably Optimistic? Am I insane for even thinking of doing another one?

I need a little wordsmithing for the tailgate. Something like:
" A truck for the incurably optimistic "

Thanks for the laugh.

I don't even know how you guy's have the nerve to put a timetable on a build. If I were making a time limit it would probably be two or three years. ha ha[S

I don't even know how you guy's have the nerve to put a timetable on a build. If I were making a time limit it would probably be two or three years. ha ha[S

So apparently, Rainman, you are NOT afflicted with Incurable Optimism.

I think I have figured out the problem, at least in my case. A two hour job takes 4 hours to figure out, one hour to find the just the right material, 3 hours to build, an hour to go the Ace to get the bolts and 2 hours to do it over again. That's why my 3 month project took 20 + months.

Hey Curt, goo to hear from you.

I'm sure I'll be looking for gremlins and trying to improve things on the F-2 for a while. I need to do some forging (generate some money) and work on the '53 a little (jag rear end and louvered hood).

As far as the next car project: The neighbor has a Buick straight 8 in running condition that he's supposed to sell me. I'll back that with a T-5 and the GM 12 bolt posi and a solid front from the '53. Steel wheels and period tires. I'll build a box tube frame and find a cab. I'll knock it out in 3 months for $3000.

Still a afflicted with Incurable Optimism -

Dan,

The F-2 Stang turned out awesome! I love the center console with the cup holder. That's really useful in AZ!

Good luck with the future plans. You pretty much can't find a cooler engine than a streight 8! :)

Update

The teaching job has pretty much diverted my attention away from cars for now. But, here's an update:

I got the title and plates last week after a long run around from MVD. Everyone tells you something different.

The weird thing was that the only remaining VIN was on the glove compartment door. I thought the inspector would not use that VIN, and would do a level 3 inspection and issue a new VIN. Nope, I had to get a bonded title, but I got to keep the original VIN.
That is OK, except that the bond cost $190 (for a $250 truck).

Decided to go for a ride today, put gas in - wouldn't start. Chased the problem back to a clogged fuel line. Clogged with something that looked like black snot. No clue where it came from or what it is.

Got the fuel flowing and discovered a pin hole in the secondary carb inlet casting. i got nicely misted with 92 octane. Didn't like that Autolite any how. Bought a 500 cfm Edelbrock, now I have to change the fuel line and throttle linkage.

Maybe I'll go for a drive tomorrow?

Earthman,

I'd like to get it running and actually drive it before I commit to giving rides. Maybe that will happen this am.

Dan

I'd like to get in line for one of those rides!

You have any interest in bringing it up to the cruise in at 83rd ave & Deer Valley (closed Safeway parking lot)? Happens every Saturday. If not, I'd definitely ride down to your place to check it out!

-Chaz

The teaching job has pretty much diverted my attention away from cars for now. /QUOTE]

The F2 will look good sitting in a teachers parking spot.. Teachers need a 'REP'--street creds and all that. The hot rod would set you up with something to build on. I worked in a Reformatory for 3 years and posture and attitude was a key factor in hooking into the kids..

Ya got a usefull tool for a teacher.

Good luck with it --keep us informed--I really enjoy your work and information..

PA41

Latest posts

Back