Different rod idea

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could get it...I have notice there is a lot of potiential in some of those old cabs. Especially the Mack trucks. They just look soo much like an old truck. Even some of the old military trucks with snap on roof...

I wish I could get it...I have notice there is a lot of potiential in some of those old cabs. Especially the Mack trucks. They just look soo much like an old truck. Even some of the old military trucks with snap on roof...

Yea, an old Mack cab would be a really cool place to start.

There is a local place called "The Truckers Chrome Zone" that sells the Bulldog for about 20 30 bucks. They don't have a 50's Mack cab though.....

There are a couple COE low boys running the streets of northern Utah. They both are titts up and have a great deal of work on them. Most everyone does move out of their way on the roads. I have been building a 1938 IHC 1.5 ton fat fendered pig for the past couple years myself. Chassis is almost 100% on the do over, and I am presently trying to build a new shed to appease the city Yard Gaurd for this coming year. Nothing like busy body hood pukes calling on everything going on in the area. Anyways, the only problem with running the large rig rubber, is setting up the proper spindles and brake combinations.
You all need to understand the impostance of having the brakes large enough to hadle such a wheel load. Just like the difference between a Chevy 3/4 ton and then jumping to the 1ton and larger. Those brake shoes are not interchangable.
Just be aware of the problems arrising across the country with automobiles and parades and pedestrians and such stuff as our whackey road warriors. Yes they are fun to build and a riot to drive, but try convincing all the Raulph Nadars in the country. Especially after last weeks tragic dragster episode.
I love these old rigs just for the style they all have compaired to todays designs. That is why I am building my 1.5 IHC fat fendered pig.
062905044.jpg

062905048.jpg

062905045.jpg

Nothing like building one of these on a ground hugging chassis......lol....:eek:

I know all about wheel and tire and brake combos.
I see all sort of "Ghetto Fabulous" cars riding around here in Montgomery with 22, 23,24 in rims and every one of them have the factory 14 15 in brake setups on them. If they all stayed "indahood ballin" I wouldn't worry about it.

Anybody got a pic of that thing Leno has with the Seagraves engine in it.

Leno doesn't own the one with the 900 ci Seagrave engine. That one is "Big Bertha" and still belongs to Michael Leeds.

Leno bought the "Blastolene Special". That one is powered by a Patton tank engine. 1,790 cubic inches if air-cooled V-12 coolness.

I happen to have a Continental AV-1790-5B myself. It is going into a Seagrave firetruck rod project. The wheels are 22.5" Alcoas on the front and 24.5" on the rear.

IM0006894x4.jpg

The peterbuilt doesn't look as well thought out as the other two. ...looks kinda cobbled together out of big expensive components.

That's impressive Flipper. You don't realize how big those engines really are until it's put into context like that. Wow.

Yeah, a 454 really isn't a big block.

The motors are really pretty cool.

Aluminum block, hemi heads, overhead cams, roller valvetrain......810 horsepower, 1500 ft lbs of torque stock.

I bought mine off of ebay for $850 and it looks like a fresh depo rebuild.

I had to go to Rochester, NY to pick it up ( I live in Kentucky), but I figured it was a once in a lifetime deal.

Latest posts

Back