12v to 6v resistor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junker39

I checked with the local parts house and they can't find a 12v replacement for the 6v '61 Ghia dash light bulbs. They are small and slip up into speedometer and clock. Not much room. My question: If I used a 12v to 9v(6v if there is such a thing) resistor just for the dash lights, would it get hot like an old coil resistor block? I'm thinking it wouldn't since the five little bulbs wouldn't be drawing a whole lot of current. Would this be correct or do I need to mount it away from everything else? Thanks.(sorry for the low quality picture)

Attachments

• bulb.jpg
    bulb.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
Bulbs

Try a motorcycle shop. Small bulbs are used in gauges and other places on motorcycles

Thanks. There's a guy down the street that works on English bikes for a living. I'll check with him. I'll try a google too. I'm needing 12v bulbs.

After checking with numerous websites, I've found out that same bulb, in 12v form, was used in the '68 and up VWs and some clear into the 90s in Audi , VW and Porshe. I'll try to look that up at the parts house tomorrow. Thanks again. Online, the prices are from 94 cents to 14 bucks, per bulb. The 94 cent ones are good but they want almost ten bucks shipping!!

Latest posts

Back