1929 6-29 Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep George, about time you got going on this one again. :D I'm normally a no fender kind of guy, but I think this Pontiac may look better with them. The pictures you posted originally won't come up on my computer so I forget what shape they were in. If they are good I would vote for using them.

Don

Here are the pics.

1929PontiacMockop008.jpg

Last edited:
This is where its heading.Its a 30 coupe that I really like.This one is photchopped.The lower one is the actual car.A guy over on the Hamb built this for a customer.

1930PontiacCpeTrad1copy.jpg

1930PontiacCpe1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I followed Don's Lead on the mock up table.I made one today and will be stripping the 29 tomorrow and starting the actual mockup of all the parts.I made mine out of 2x6 and 19x32 plywood.I also put down a centerline and marked it off at 6" all the way down.

Its all marine grade screws and I put on a set of 4x4 legs for the time being.It will get a set of wheels and screw jacks to move it around and get it level.

1929PontiacMockop012.jpg

1929PontiacMockop011.jpg

1929PontiacMockop009.jpg

Just a little update.Stripped the hard parts and started the mockup on my new table.After I got it level.I have the cowl,rockers,quarters and the decklid all set up.Now I need to fit the doors.I tried to hang one to see what it looks like.It is ok,But they weigh as much as I do so I will need some help to get them to fit the way I want them to.Its just to awckward for me to do it on my own and have it be right.

Here are the pics.I also need some help on photos of this car if anyone has any books or have come across any on the net.I need to know if the decklid was flush with the quarters or did it overlap them.Its just a bunch of parts that I got so I dont know what this car looked like when it was together.Any and all help would be appritiated.I have so many little parts for this as far as body parts go that it is becoming a large puzzle and real hard to figure out at times.There are no measurements on this car as far as I know for roofline and or windshield height.So its been just fit and try to figure it out.Also is there a filler between the decklid and the roof?

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

Last edited:
Just a little update,I had to hang the old wood back in for the A and B pillars for now.I just cant measure and do all the holding on my own.I cut everything down so its level and plumb.I fit the roof and and one door.Its going to need allot more fitting and alignment before I do the jambs in metal.

Here is the progress.

1929PontiacMockop013.jpg

1929PontiacMockop014.jpg

1929PontiacMockop015.jpg

1929PontiacMockop017.jpg

Nice progress George. How much chop do you have planned? If it's 2' or less you might get away with chopping the rear window section above the window. If not, you'll probably have to do a lot of work on the rear window opening to make it look nice. You might consider cutting the corners out in tact and blending them back in after the chop. If you're not careful, your rear window will end up looking like a football.

That's a neat body style. If you decide to chop try to remove some above the rear window looks like you could take out 2-4" or so there. Trying to get that window chopped will take some brainstorming.

I've been looking at your rear window dilema and have come up with a solution for you. What you need to do is cut off the ark or curve of the frame on each side. I would say measure in from the egde of the window frame towards the center 4 or 5 inchs. The best place to cut will be where the revel starts to straighten out the most. Mark a vertical line throught the top and bottom and remove that section along with about 2 inches of the sheetmetal towards the outside of the roof. Do you fallow me so far? Now take those window revels and move them in towards the center of the window opening lining them up along the lower lip. As you do this you will see the gap widening at the top. Keep going untill your happy with how much chop you can get and how big the widow will be when your done. Doing this you should be able to get at least a 2 to 3 inch chop with out a horrable amount of crazy curved metal work needed. You will just end up with a little narrower window and a gap that will need to be filled on each side after the fact.

If you can't figure out a way to downsize your existing window opening, here are two suggestions; Go to one of the metal masters like Marcel and have them make a proportionally downsized rear window opening in a sheet metal panel. If you are not in love with the oval rear window, you could get a rectangular window out of a different car or truck and chop it to the height you desire.

personally I would cut out the oval window and chop it the way you want... clip the oval back in if there is room... otherwise I would try another window option.

ya, I'm with Bulldog, don't start tryin to chop up an oval, it looks perfect the way it is, and cutting one up and trying to make it look right again is almost impossible, cut it out first before you drop the top, and section it back in when you're done...

Latest posts

Back