1929 6-29 Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some close up pics of the original car.I cant figure out if there is supposed to be a filler panel between the decklid and the roof area.I also need to figure out if the decklid was flush with the quarters or if it overlaped them.All helpful info would be appritiated.Till I can figure it out I am stalled on the build.

I have the whole body in mock up but I cannot seem to find any pic's on the car close up.

It's a 1929 Pontiac 6-29 3 Window Coupe.

If anyone can help me it would be really nice.

Gearge, after seeing your mockup table I think you should go into the furniture building business. :D Nice work. Body looks nice and level and square on there.

Don

Well not much of an update,But I guess any progress is better than none.So here is where I am at the moment.

I am just getting started.I got it all braced up and started to get all the door gaps lined up so i can start in the inner metal work.

1929PontiacMockop038.jpg

I had to tack the roof on so I can get some idea of how high the A pillars needed to be.Its got to come back off and be trimmed to properly welded it up.

I cant figure out what is missing that goes in above the door where the roof meets.I have the drip rail but there should have been some kind of striker pad for the door to sit up against.

1929PontiacMockop039.jpg

also cant figure out how this trunk was.It goes all the way into the roof of the body.Is there something missing?As how would you open it if it was inside of the roof?

1929PontiacMockop040.jpg

If someone knows anything about these coupes.I would really like to know also.This stuff is starting to get really frustraiting.

Its a 1929 6-29 Pontiac.

Thanks in advance.

cool

great car i have a 34 chevy sedan i am working on and i wish i would have joined this site before i started. i like the table idea. i used jack stands and paint sticks and tacked my doors shut when i got it where i wanted. then spent a week crawling under the thing to get in to work on it. i was relly happy when i got the doors back open. i have a thread posted on it if you would like to see it. it is called my 34 chevy build. keep those picks coming. i hope you start replaceing you're door wood and supports before i do so i can learn from you.:D

great car i have a 34 chevy sedan i am working on and i wish i would have joined this site before i started. i like the table idea. i used jack stands and paint sticks and tacked my doors shut when i got it where i wanted. then spent a week crawling under the thing to get in to work on it. i was relly happy when i got the doors back open. i have a thread posted on it if you would like to see it. it is called my 34 chevy build. keep those picks coming. i hope you start replaceing you're door wood and supports before i do so i can learn from you.:D

Welcome to the site.The table idea I got from Donsrods.The only thing I did different was i added 4 2x2 stainless steel adjustable legs to it.that way I could get it good and level.

Those chevys can be a handful.I also have a 35 Master that I did alot of work on last year.

If you go to the begginng of this thread you will see that this was a basket case when I got it.

I dont think I will do another one of these odd cars again.There is not enough info or pics of these types of cars anywhere that I have looked.

Here is my car.This is what I did last year http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887&highlight=refreshing+mastr

2006XMASPICS070.jpg

btt

35-your 6-29 is just to rare to find any info or pix on, that alone makes me want to see you get it done. It's been four months since you've posted any progress...any news? Have you bought or considered buying a reproduced manual to help decipher piecing it together? Here's a link to Lloyd's, there's also autobookbishko.com that has the same books.

http://www.lloydsautolit.com/search.cgi?year=1929&make=Pontiac&category=All

In my searching I was only able to find a couple pix and alot of other forums where you have been asking for others to help...lol! Just wanted to bump up your build and try to help you out...I can feel your frustration throughout your posts-hang in there man, it'll all be worth it...some day!:) I know the pix are too far away to help you any, but they were the best I could do.:(

Link to UK pix...not of the back, but cool http://www.pontiacuk.com/id18.html

1929_Pontiac.jpg
[/IMG]

1929_pontiac0001.jpg

Last edited:
I some how missed this.Thanks for the pic's.I got the car all up on the table and got the roof tacked on to determine the actual height of the winshiled.

I need to start on the structure.

But I keep getting side tracked with buying equipment.

I was looking for a band saw and ended up buying an Old Tired one on Ebay and picked it up locally.Tore it all apart and rebuilt it.

Its an older 1987 4x7 Horizontal and vertical coolant type saw.

BandSaw004-1.jpg

BandSaw003-1.jpg

I made this nice and wide 16x16 table out of 1 inch thick HMW.Its a real heavy duty plastic use in conveyer systems and gates in the food industry.

Best thing about it is that its almost you cant wear it out and material slides real easy on it.
1929PontiacMockop021.jpg

I also cut off the crappy axle stubs that it had and welded a complete 1/2 inch axle out of round bar and added 10 wheels to it.I like it better now that I dont have to bend over as far.

Here are some more random pic's for anyone interested.
1929PontiacMockop025.jpg

1929PontiacMockop031.jpg

I had the blade guard still hanging wet.But it is already been installed.
1929PontiacMockop032.jpg

Then the search was on for a Nice Old Heavy Duty Drill Press.I wanted something that was going to last the reast of my life as i hate to buy equipment twice.

So I started looking and could not find anything in my price range in a 20 inch press.Then I started asking around for searches on the Internet.

A big thanks to Don"DMW56" told me about Craigs Helper.Well I scored a Circa 1960's Powermatic 20 inch press with power feed to boot for a killer deal.It was all seized up and lots of small parts either broken or missing.

It is all cast iron.I mean everything except for the knobs and the belt hood.It weighs about 800 pounds.I completly tore it apart and rebuilt it all with new spindle bearings,power feed bearings and quill bearings.

I compltely stripped all the paint off the entire thing peice by peice and painted it.
I dont think I have ever in my life put so many hours in front of a wire wheel.
I actually wore out a 6 inch wheel and 2, 3 inch cups on my 4 inch grinder.

This thing has a ton of really small parts.
I really need to get a blast cabinet.It would have saved me a ton of time.I actually had the head sandblasted as it was too heavy to do by hand.

I am in the process of reassembling it at the moment.

Here goes the pics.These were the pics that were taken when I picked it up at the sellers place.

773709-R1-13-14A.jpg

773709-R1-12-13A.jpg

773709-R1-11-12A.jpg

Here is the reassembly of it.I also added all new belts and changed every nut,bolt and all the USS set screws are new.

PowermaticDrillPress022.jpg

PowermaticDrillPress021.jpg

I am also looking for a 1 or 1 1/2 horse motor in single phase in either 184 or 145t Frame with a 7/8 shaft if anyone knows were I can score one.

When this is done.Hopefully by the end of the week I will strt doing some metal work on the car.progress is going to be slow as there are not alot of funds to get the parts that I really need to get it to a roller.I also have the metal for the frame.Its 27 feet of 0.245 wall 2x3 tubing.Is this 1/4 wall?

It was free.So thats what I am going to use.

This is what I am going after.
This one is a Pontiac.
IMG

Last edited:
nice saw

Your saw looks better than brand new! Nice work.

Ultra High Molecular Weight UHMW plastic is great stuff. I used some TIVAR88 for my nose. Held up great to the constant battery of dirt chunks being spit at it.:eek:

HOOD.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back