1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the idea of sleeving it but I'm gonna be using some zinc plated rod. Gives it the shiny look along with a stronger rod. I will be putting a plate underneath the linkage assembly just in case something does fly up. And with as crappy as the roads are up here, it'll be a good thing.

Got back out to the shop today but didn't accomplish very much. I pulled the threaded rod out and put in a piece that I threaded the ends on. Gotta get some nuts with the correct thread pitch to use as lock nuts. Turns out the clevises are fine thread which explains a lot. Also started planning out the clutch linkage. I need to figure out how to make the part that will go from the rod to the clutch fork. I think I got it but I'm gonna have to make one side keyed so it'll transfer the movement. Anyhow, that's at a standstill for a little while. Got my parking brake brackets welded up but it isn't bolted in yet as all the 3/8ths bolts I have are about 1/4 inch too short. But it's coming along and that's what counts. Started to get really cold and my feet are freezing so back inside for me lol.

HI Endicott

I am loving this build...I love that transmission....I have never had a vehicle that didnt have a clutch in it...way more work to get one set up but in the end..nothing like the feel of driving a standard stick...a true hot rod (IMHO).

Thanks for posting all these pictures. Cant wait to see it up and running....

MikeC

Got out to te shop tonight and...it's flooded!!! Damned construction company next door decided the best place to put their snow pile is right next to the shop. Luckily where I'm working on the car isn't too soaked so I'm still able to get stuff done. Started sheet metaling in (is that a word) the seat risers. I figured it's nothing too structural so rivets will work just fine. It's just 22ga galvanized so it won't rust so no worrying about painting it lol. Tomorrow, if I get out early enough, I want to try to get the passenger side piece on along with piece to go in front. Then I'll start working on the floor boards. I keep forgetting to get the chopped up truck bed from my friend's place so if I remember in the next few days when they're off work I'll go grab that. What else...? Oh yeah, my angle grinder finally gave out on me after I don't know how many years so I guess I'll have to toss this one and pick up another. Anyhow, here's a picture for your viewing pleasure lol

Sorry about it being a little blurry but y'all can get the idea.

I like the look of the rivets on the sheet metal for the seat riser. If you do decide to weld that galvanized just be careful to keep your head out of the smoke from the welding. Inhaling the fumes could give you what they call "metal fume fever" which i guess gives you flu like symptoms for 24 hours. I've never had it but sounds pretty annoying. Any who, the builds looking good.

-Chris

Yeah, I used to weld on galvanized a lot. Before I knew how bad it was for ya. If I weld any part of the sheet to the frame, it'll be the bottom edge and where the floorboards meet up to it. But the top portion will definitely stay riveted. I just like the way the rivets look lol.

it will give you more than a 24 hr. flu, the white smoke contains cyanide gas, and if enough is inhaled in an unventilated area, you are toast.

Actually I have not seen anything that states cyanide gas is released from welding galvanized materials... Have a look at the OSHA descriptions to exposure to different materials encountered when welding: OSHA

I agree with dirtyrat I read a bunch of different articles on welding galvanized and none of them said anything about cyanide. In fact they said that with proper ventilation and the right face mask that you can weld it without getting sick. 3M makes a few disposable masks that are supposedly good for welding galvanized. Bottom line is if your going to try and weld it be careful and do some research on the effects.

-Chris

If everyone is done arguing about galvanized... ;) I got some more progress to report. Made some templates out of sheet to transpose onto my truck bed for the floor. I think it'll look really nice when it's finished. Also, I got my drivers side seat mounted. Well, mostly. I figured out how to hinge it, I just now need to figure out how to latch it.

This way of having my "hinges" made the seat sit up just a little too high.

So this was my solution. Dropped the seat back down flat on the riser but has full tilt-ability.

Loving the barn door/ gate hinges for the seat. And I thought I was the only one who got rat parts at Rural King. All kidding aside, you have a GREAT first build going. Sharing your trial, error and fixes is helpful and informative. There some great people on this sight with some stellar info to share. Keep going, we are all behind you![cl

Looks like I'll be taking a break for a while. We got a really strong chinook last night and the entire shop is completely flooded. The odds are that it'll refreeze this weekend but it still sucks to be sliding around in the crappy ice rink of a shop. Here's some pics just so y'all understand.

Im not to sure what a "chinook" is but looks like it made a mess of your shop. Hope that water clears so you can start working again. Good luck.

-Chris

Back