1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I got tired of dealing with the stiff steering issue that the shock absorber caused so guess what I did. I used the steering dampener from the Mercedes I hacked apart for my other build and mounted it to the axle and drag link. Wow, it looks so much cleaner up front now. And steering, yeah, it steers 100%%% better. Doesn't feel like driving a school bus anymore.

Heading to a show today so we'll see how she goes. At least I'll be able to have something to B.S. about lol.

Right on! I get a lot of positive attention in my Willys down here but doubt a rat or patina rod will ever win anything at the shows. Too many yuppies with waxers around here I think.

Right on! I get a lot of positive attention in my Willys down here but doubt a rat or patina rod will ever win anything at the shows. Too many yuppies with waxers around here I think.

Where ya at Willy? Because there are tons of shows all over Mt that have rat rod classes. My favorite show so far is Hot Rod Lewies out of Missoullas rod run to rock creek. Full on rockabilly weekend and I hear that burn the point in Billings is a kick in the pants. But I haven't been to that yet.

I'm in Bozeman. My wife isn't into car stuff at all so going to much more than the local stuff is pretty hard unfortunately. The downtown show here is pretty good but there are usually only one or two rats out of 300 plus cars! Not sure why it hasn't caught on here. Only one prize is people's choice and all the others are voted on by people in the show so winning anything with a rat is unlikely. That's ok though. It's still fun.

So, the more and more I drive this car the more I love it but, I feel like it's not proportioned correctly. Front axle just sits out way too far. Some angles it looks absolutely bitchin but straight to the side it looks off. So I think I finally figured out a way to do it to where I don't have to re-engineer the entire front end and frame. I'm gonna redo my hairpin mounts to where the heims mount directly over and under the axle and mount the spring in front of the axle. Sort of like a 35-39 ford front end. Should move my front axle backwards under the grill. Can't do it this week or next but maybe beginning of July.

So, the more and more I drive this car the more I love it but, I feel like it's not proportioned correctly. Front axle just sits out way too far. Some angles it looks absolutely bitchin but straight to the side it looks off.......Should move my front axle backwards under the grill.

I've always thought that, but I didn't say it because I figured it was built the way you wanted it.:) Not my place to criticize, just offer encouragement.[P

Now that the cat's out of the bag :)
I felt the same about the front and considered this was the way you wanted it too. Respect among the builders :cool:

I feel you on the front end. If I could go back in time I would have made the wheel base on my car shorter, turning radius could be a little tighter

I'm with the others on the front end to be honest. I thought it was interesting and unique to have it hung out there so far and but not really my cup of tea. However, I figured if you liked it that why, that's cool!

The cool thing about these kinds of builds is that you can try all these ideas and change things up on occasion. Then it's almost like having a "new" rod again after you change stuff up.

Latest posts

Back